Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New iBook G4' heat?

New iBook G4' heat?
jeffdunning
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2005, 07:50 AM

I am thinking of getting one of the new iBook G4's with a 1.42GHz processor, and a gig of ram. How hot will this thing run. Is it cooler than the power books? Just wondering if anyone who has already purchased one could provide some feedback.
Thanks

pat++
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2005, 12:07 PM

It should run cooler than the PowerBooks.... just curious, are you going to downgrade from 15" 1.5ghz PB for a 14" iBook?

jeffdunning  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2005, 04:21 PM

actually i sold my powerbook a while back, i just want to get another OS X laptop. it shouldn't be too much of a downgrade should it? except for the video card.

alimunnik
Jul 30, 2005, 07:16 PM

Quite a drop off, I would say. Smaller (60 G) and slower HD, slower fsb, less screen resolution, no keypad backlighting, fewer ports for peripherals, to say nothing of a vastly inferior video card. The iBook is nice, but you will notice a difference in performance.

Lucky8
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2005, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by alimunnik
Quite a drop off, I would say. Smaller (60 G) and slower HD, slower fsb, less screen resolution, no keypad backlighting, fewer ports for peripherals, to say nothing of a vastly inferior video card. The iBook is nice, but you will notice a difference in performance.
Isn't the iBook got 5400rpm HD just like the one in PB but smaller capacity?

Sveen
Jul 31, 2005, 07:50 AM

Nope, the iBook's HD rotates with 4200 RPM.

jeffdunning  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2005, 03:16 PM

so the ibook should run a lot cooler right. if it has a slower hard drive, video card, and processor, it should be cooler.

alimunnik
Jul 31, 2005, 03:49 PM

Heat radiated by your laptop is generated by work load and they are directly proportional. My 15" PB produces very little heat, unless I am doing some intense video editing. If you subject the iBook to the same work load as a PB, the iBook should run even hotter, since it has to work harder with fewer resources to produce the same result. Boosting your RAM is the best way to keep an iBook (or any other computer) running cool.

Forum Links
Forum Rules