Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" iBook vs. 12" PowerBook

12" iBook vs. 12" PowerBook
theTechyDork
Aug 3, 2005, 11:16 AM

Hey guys.
I am looking to purchase my first Mac soon, and am trying to decide between the 12" iBook and the 12" PowerBook. I want a small one for portability and plan on buying an external display for whichever I choose that I can use for home. I am going to buy the stock standard of whichever model I choose. I just can't decide which is better value, and "bang for your buck" if you will. So, what is your opinion? Is the PowerBook worth the extra money?

I will be using it for frequent Dreamweaver, light Flash, and graphic design, as well as the iLife suite, web browsing, email, and IM.

Thanks!

agentmouthwash
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2005, 11:32 AM

I would go with the powerbook because it has a better graphics card.
Things will be snappier if you're going to be doing graphic art.
Powerbook G4 1.25GHZ

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2005, 11:33 AM

there's a thread discussing this very issue...there's no need for another. i understand you're new and am only making a point.

now to the issue at hand, if you want bang for your buck...i'd go with the ibook, but if you're gonna buy an external display realize that the ibook only has 32mb of vram vs the pbooks 64mb of vram which can be huge if your diplay is gonna be a 17" lcd or bigger. i still stand by my first words of the ibook being the better bang for your buck though.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2005, 11:47 AM

The iBook will also only mirror its own display on an external screen, unless you install a screen spanning system hack. The Powerbook will support the external screen as a second monitor as standard.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

sxates
Aug 3, 2005, 11:56 AM

When I was getting a mac for my wife to replace her aging dell laptop, I was pushing for a cheap, 12" ibook. But she didn't like the white, and thought it would get dirty. Then she saw the aluminum powerbooks and was like "oooh --I like the silver." And I said, "yeah, it's nice, but it's a $700 aluminum case." But at that point, there was no changing her mind, so we got the powerbook

So if you like silver/aluminum, go for the PB

alimunnik
Aug 3, 2005, 12:47 PM

As far as I'm concerned, the 12" iBook belongs in the Smithsonian. Performance wise, it lags far behind the PB, and the PB as it is today can hardly be described as cutting edge technology. Other than that it runs OSX, which is infinitely superior to Windows, I can see no compelling reason to buy an iBook. For using an external monitor there is no doubt that the PB is your only choice.

theTechyDork  (op)
Aug 3, 2005, 03:04 PM

iREZ, where is the thread about this? I searched and couldn't find it.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 03:09 PM

What? I'm using a PowerBook now, and disagree, alimunnik. The iBook nearly matches the PowerBook performance-wise, and any features you want in a (now-outdated) PowerBook, you can have with the iBook. So much more, for WAY less. All those savings, you could buy an external flat-panel AND create brochures and business cards for promoting your business, and be ahead than having a shiny aluminum case.

Today, I'd buy an iBook. If you're in a profession, can make a return quickly, pay the bills, and amortize the cost, I'd go for the 15".

alimunnik
Aug 3, 2005, 04:46 PM

My dear iomatic, your concepf of matching performance is very liberal. The PB has a faster processor (1.50 vs. 1.33Ghz), a faster hard drive (4200 vs. 5400 rmp), a faster front side bus, a better video card (32 vs. 64Mb), more ports, and a much better keyboard. Also, the PB comes with a Superdrive option, not available for the 12" iBook.
My close friend has a 900MHz G3 iBook that he purchased well over 2 years ago. Other than a faster processor, this iBook is about the equal, performance wise, to the latest iBook revision released last week.
The iBook is a terrific and capable machine, but the PB is definitely in a higher class category.

warra
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2005, 09:12 PM

Does anyone know or have any idea if/when the powerbooks will be updated this month? Either way, Im planning on getting mine right before I go back to school but knowing that the iBook can max out on 1.5g ram and the powerbook at 1.25g just isn't right. I was originally gonna buy one in June but I decided to wait for any possible updates.
PB12 / 1.5 / 80 / 1.25 / SD

alimunnik
Aug 3, 2005, 09:30 PM

Last month Freescale announced that the 7448 G4 chip would be in production by around November. So it could be several months until the next upgrade, as the presently available G4 is pretty well maxed out. A late autumn upgrade would fit into Apple's game plan of switching the PB to Intel around mid 2006. Reportedly, the upgrade will feature a CPU speed of around 1.80 GHZ and a fsb of 200 MHz. Not a great upgrade, but quite in keeping with the usual PB advancements. It should tide them over until the switch. After all, the G4 is a proven and reliable warrior, and lots of people suspect that the first run of Intel PB's will have lots of "teething" bugs.

theTechyDork  (op)
Aug 3, 2005, 09:52 PM

I don't want a Mactel PB because of the bugs. When do people think the PB will be updated? Will it be a significant upgrade? Ah well. I've waited way too long (about 9 months) for different updates and if I keep this up I'll never get a Mac..

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2005, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by theTechyDork
I don't want a Mactel PB because of the bugs. When do people think the PB will be updated? Will it be a significant upgrade? Ah well. I've waited way too long (about 9 months) for different updates and if I keep this up I'll never get a Mac..
Bugs with the Mactel PB?

warra
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2005, 11:39 AM

There really shouldn't me many bugs, if any at all. The mactels are getting quite alot of hype and I am sure they will be tested sufficiently before public release.

If you are, dont compare the mactels with, say, video game consoles. Like when ps2 was released new bugs were being found quite frequently. Thats why I waited a year, and for the price drop also.
PB12 / 1.5 / 80 / 1.25 / SD

alimunnik
Aug 4, 2005, 11:57 AM

Seems nearly all new product lines are plagued with their share of bugs. Just consider the iMac G5!

jamito
Aug 4, 2005, 05:38 PM

If you want an older model powerbook, usually they'll match close to ibook prices, you can check out this web page: http://www.macprices.com/refurblaptops.shtml. I think I saw a 15in 1.33 GHZ combo drive for 1399 (still new).
ibook 14", 600 mhz, 384mb ram
mbp 15", 2.2ghz SR C2D, 2 gb ram, 128vram, 20" ACD
powermac dc 2.3ghz, 2.5 gb ram, 20" ACD
3g 30gb ipod, 5g 60gb video ipod, 2g 4gb blue ipod nano, isight

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2005, 01:58 PM

Normally I'd recommend an iBook for a portable Mac (I've had both 12" iBook and now 12" PB), but for your graphics intensive uses, the extra oomph of the PB will come in handy -- and, more important, so will the PB's ability to drive an external DVI display, which produces a sharper image than the iBook's analog signal. You'll get a bit less durability and airport reception and maybe battery life, but OTOH will get a better keyboard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules