Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > White Van Speaker Scams et al. See any where you live?

White Van Speaker Scams et al. See any where you live?
rozwado1
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2005, 09:27 PM

So this guy that works on our construction crew got conned into buying a pair of Skyline AD-900SL speakers for $500 out of a white van in a Home Depot parking lot.

These guys approached him and said that they were installers who had extra inventory that they needed to unload for cash, or their boss would get to keep them. For some God-awful reason, he bit and "bought a pair of $1200 speakers for $500 cash." I found out when he called me and asked me to check them out so I could see if he got a deal. I am too nice, so I told him that they were great and he got a good deal on them.

I was told by another guy that these white van scams happen all throughout Florida - since the 70s.

*Let me say that the guy who got conned does not own a computer, and is a self-proclaimed 28 year old redneck.

I do not expect that anyone on these forums (or anyone with a computer) could ever get conned, but I wanted to know if you've ever seen these scams in action. Also, say where you're at in the world bc they claim to be international.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2005, 09:34 PM

Wait... these speakers aren't good? FRICK! First the WiFi Spray and now this... my iPod's still good right? I have the model with the cardboard screen that plays the radio...

Alezone
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2005, 10:10 PM

It's known, never seen it myself. but lots of ppl have.
"You don't lead by hitting people over the head... that's assault, not leadership."

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2005, 10:14 PM

i just saw one of these the other day.

i was filling up, thought he was talking to me. then he followed this obviously blue collar dude back to his work site

pretty neatly dressed guy too. champagne late model explorer.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2005, 10:29 PM

Happens all over the place. not just in the US.

I don't get how its a scam though, if the speakers are good everyones happy.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2005, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
Happens all over the place. not just in the US.

Um,

The speakers are pieces of sh*t that aren't even worth $100, let alone the "retail prices" of $2000 or more...

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2005, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
Well, you've hit the nail on the head right there, haven't you.

I last saw these around here ten years ago...

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2005, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Person Man
Um,

The speakers are pieces of sh*t that aren't even worth $100, let alone the "retail prices" of $2000 or more...
If they were scamming blind people that would work, there is more to this, a friend of mine picked up a fantastic pair of Tannoy studio monitors from the back of a van for less than half price.

jebjeb
Senior User
Aug 6, 2005, 04:24 AM

I had some guys try and con me when I was over in the states on holiday a couple of year ago. I think it was in a K-Mart/mall car park. Have had it happen here in the UK and I just told the guys to "F**K off and go and get a job rather than con people" but as I was in the states and wasn't sure if they would just run me over or shoot me () I just politely told them "No Thanks".

One of the blokes I lived with a few years ago got had with this type of scam. He asked me if I wanted to check them out and actually had the con-man out the front of the house ready to come in and hook up the speakers to my amp so I could listen. I told my mate that if he let the guy into the house that he might as just well give the guy an inventory of our place so it would make the decision to rob us all the more easier.

Anyone that doesn't think this is a con needs to have a good think about it. Yeah the speakers may sound "alright" but as stated before they are lucky to be worth 100 bucks/pounds so anyone duped into paying more for them has been conned. They could go to a reputable store and buy something for 150 and have a much better product with a warranty and such as well as not financing crooks.

Also, just because it may have a reputable label on the speakers, does not necessarily mean that the speaker is actually that brand!

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 6, 2005, 07:39 AM

Who would believe that sort of line? I've installed auto equipment professionally, and while you might stock stuff in the service van, you do NOT try to sell it off for cheap. Instead, you take it back to the shop and let the sales dudes sell it for full price. What a scam!

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER buy ANYTHING from somebody selling stuff from a vehicle in a parking lot! It is guaranteed to be a rip off.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2005, 08:17 AM

White Van Speaker Scams Fraud Involving Scam Speakers Sold From White Vans by Speakermen Fraudsters
Jeez, with that title...

I was approached once quite some time ago in the US. HiFi is a hobby, so I said no right away.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2005, 10:41 AM

I saw it in an Office Depot parking lot once a year ago.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2005, 10:50 AM

I got asked as I was walking up my street. The month before I had bought some pretty nice Missions, so I said I already had a pair.

I can't believe anyone would fall for these scams, but there are a lot of ignorant people out there.

The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

brapper
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2005, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by ReggieX
I got asked as I was walking up my street. The month before I had bought some pretty nice Missions, so I said I already had a pair.

I can't believe anyone would fall for these scams, but there are a lot of ignorant people out there.
I was asked recently also. Looks like speaker fraud is on the rise in TO.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2005, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by ReggieX

loo loo loo loo loo!

Geshy!

-Owl

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2005, 01:33 PM

This is an old scam. I lived with a guy in a group house who fell for it in 1991. Van pulled up, said they had extra inventory, and then handed my housemate a brochure. It was a black and white on glossy with no specs, but lots of photgraphs and typical BS speaker claims. I believe they were called "Digital Elite" or some such. Amazingly, not only did he fall for it, but he told them to hold on while he went to the bank to get the $ (they wanted $400 for "$1000 speakers"). When I got home later, he asked me to "check them out" -- they probably had been built for $25 a piece. Each had a knob labelled "presence" that went from -4 to 4: turning them did absolutely nothing (they weren't even wired). He said he only fell for it because of the brochure.

Even more pathetic: he allowed them into our house to "set them up." We kept the front door locked after that.

Edit: this was in Washington, DC.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2005, 01:44 PM

He didn't even have them demonstrate if they worked or not? Dumb.

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2005, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777
He didn't even have them demonstrate if they worked or not? Dumb.
Yes, of course they worked. They set them up and said "aren't you amazed at how good they sound? You're getting such a deal, man!"

When I listened to them I almost laughed; they were so boomy it was pathetic.

Then I started playing around with the "presence" control to see if I could add some high end (and that's when I noticed these knobs weren't even wired).

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2005, 06:50 PM

They work this scam in London too. I turned them down once but I knew someone who bough a pair and thought they were great.

vinster
Senior User
Aug 6, 2005, 07:29 PM

I came across a few of these when I was living in London, UK. One guy even had TVs. Never bought anything though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules