Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > With mods can I make a shock proof Mac?

With mods can I make a shock proof Mac?
Captain Curt
Jul 27, 2005, 10:39 PM

Thank you everyone for your advice. I want to install a mac into a semi tractor. I want to listen to the audio of normal video dvds, listen to itunes while I'm driving down the road and surf the web via a bluetooth/ isync cell phone (stopped for the web surfing). The kind of semi and road I drive make for a very rough road. Is there any way I can buy/mod a mac that can take that kind of abuse. I'm thinking the hard disk drive and the dvd drive would be the biggest problems. Is moding a laptop my only hope? Many thanks.

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2005, 12:56 AM

Well... You could get some crazy solid-state kind of memory for most use. For example, a 5/6/8 GB Compact flash card, and actually install the system (and some) music, or just music, and have the system on the normal drive and it set to have the harddrive spin down.

Honestly, a mac isn't what you want for rough road cruising... I'd get a flashmemory mp3 player (like the iPod Shuffle, but maybe something with higher capacity). You could put plenty of music on it, and even put audio from dvds on it! If space was an issue you could swap the stuff on it every few days...

Last resort? One of those military grade laptops...
yep.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2005, 10:21 PM

I'd go for a mix of the two.. use a mac for the web, etc. and stick a flash drive based subsystem on it; be able to boot off it for your audio. Be aware that flash memory is not cheap once you top 1GB or so...

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2005, 07:09 AM

Hard drives take damage from shocks mostly when the read/write heads are engaged. They return to an "off" position off of the discs when not in use. Therefore, you could pretty much just carry the computer with you on the road for when you're stopped. While moving, as mentioned above, just use a flash-based mp3 player.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2005, 05:31 PM

You can build RAID arrays using iPod Shuffles or flash drives and USB 2.0 hubs.
So all you need is a Mac which can boot from USB (Not sure which, if any can do this). Still gonna get pricey though. Especially if you want to store much music.

If the budget is tighter, hold out for a video iPod and mount it in a gimble.....!

oojacoboo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2005, 11:04 PM

I would just create a shock absorbing base for the unit. Be creative. Or if you want the easy route, just take a pillow and some duct-tape But honestly, some cotton and a nice fitting base for it would suffice.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2005, 12:25 AM

The new ibooks and powerbooks all have the Sudden Motion Sensor so you may lose a frame or hear a skip in the music but the drives should be ok.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2005, 12:04 PM

in car CD changers used to have a good shock absorbtion system in them. Old Sony ones had a cartridge for the CDs on one side, with the plaer mechanism on the other. You might be able to fit a Mac mini in one of those.
Especially if you take the case off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules