Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > March of the Penguins

March of the Penguins
iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2005, 08:41 PM

It just came out here on Friday and I just got back from seeing it.
If you have kids, like animals, or want a sweet movie to take your girl to; I highly recommend this movie. It's got great cinematography of Antarctica through different seasons, great underwater shots, and the cutest penguins you'll ever see.

They don't show any actual penguin mating or blood, but there are a few shots that might upset a little kid. A few eggs left behind, dead baby penguins, and a sea lion going after them in the water. The harsh shots are over quick and don't show anything really brutal though.

All in all, a great documentary from National Geographic. See it in the theaters, you won't regret it.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 8, 2005, 02:43 AM

Narrated by Morgan Freeman right?

I am looking forward to seeing this. We won't make it too the theater so we'll buy it on DVD when it comes out.

Thanks for the good review.

Jacob
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2005, 03:02 AM

I saw that ad in the theatre the other night, looked neat. (Just saw dukes of hazzard). Odd movie it was..

iLikebeer  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2005, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Narrated by Morgan Freeman right?

I am looking forward to seeing this. We won't make it too the theater so we'll buy it on DVD when it comes out.

Thanks for the good review.
Yeah, his voice goes perfectly with the movie. The movie didn't have much hype, but I've been looking forward to it for a long time and built up a lot of high expectations for it. Simply amazing. Best movie I've seen in the theaters in a while.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 8, 2005, 03:34 AM

There's a trailer at the Apple QuickTime site.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/warner...epenguins.html

villalobos
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2005, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by iLikebeer
It just came out here on Friday and I just got back from seeing it.
If you have kids, like animals, or want a sweet movie to take your girl to; I highly recommend this movie. It's got great cinematography of Antarctica through different seasons, great underwater shots, and the cutest penguins you'll ever see.

They don't show any actual penguin mating or blood, but there are a few shots that might upset a little kid. A few eggs left behind, dead baby penguins, and a sea lion going after them in the water. The harsh shots are over quick and don't show anything really brutal though.

All in all, a great documentary from National Geographic. See it in the theaters, you won't regret it.
For the record, I don't believe it was made by the National Geographic. It still is a great moment of enjoyment : I did not know what an amazing story the life of a penguin was. For those who have seen it it is in the same vein as Winged Migration, but with commentary this time. Morgan Freeman does a great job at that : i was leery about any commentary at first, given how mich I enjoyed Winged Migration raw beauty, but this is all good as well.

There are some upsetting moments, that the camera does not shy away from, but I would still take kids there (girls AND boys... ;-) ).

Go watch it, it is better on a big screen.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2005, 07:51 AM

I'd watch it.®

Forum Links
Forum Rules