Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > memory and video card questions

memory and video card questions
jvalph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2005, 02:41 PM

Hello, I'm sort of new to Macintosh computers (I was once quite familiar with one from the early '90s and have used one with OS X several times) and I know very little about hardware in particular and I'm going to need all the advice you can give me.

I need a laptop, and I need to use Photoshop (CS2) and Capture One (currently 3.7) frequently (the only reason that keeps me from switching to linux), the former with files often >50Mb. I'm thinking about the 15" powerbook (currently behind a 22" screen at 1600x1200px, but thinking 15" at a high resolution should do, what do you think?) and I don't know how much memory I will need.

I was also wondering, considering the price, is there a big difference in performance between 1Gb 2 SO-DIMMs and 1Gb 1 SO-DIMM??

How about the video card? For photoshop & capture one and just for watching DVD's..

Thank you.

alimunnik
Aug 11, 2005, 03:11 PM

The 15 " PB with the 64 video card and 1 G RAM should do fine. The only advantage of 1 Gb 1 SO-DIMM is if you later decide to go for 2 Gb, you will need to buy only one RAM module. With 512 Mb RAM installed in each slot, you will have to replace both with 1 Gb chips for the same results; i.e. twice the money

jvalph  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2005, 03:28 PM

Thank you very much, that was helpful.

Forum Links
Forum Rules