Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Happy New Apple Customer :)

Happy New Apple Customer :)
mc751n
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2005, 12:42 AM

Hello everyone, first is a little about me, if you would like to help me and skip my life story (lol), my questions at the bottom.

Im new to these forums and Apple. Im 17 and I'm really into computers. Ive worked 3 jobs for nearly 4 years (one at best buy, love the employee discount) just to pay for my computer hobby. After buying countless numbers of windows computers and notebooks, I finally took a chance on an Apple. Yesterday I drove 40 minutes from my house to our nearest apple store and bought a 15" 1.5 GHz, 1gig, Powerbook, after using it for about an hour, I realized it wasn't a chance at all. I absolutely love it. I've already convinced my parents to buy themselves one. So, I went to the apple store alone with $2,500 in cash in my pocket, avoiding looks from others in the mall as I made my way to the store. I had done research and I told the salesperson (incredibally nice) exactly what I wanted, and he hooked me up. He pushed the Apple care upon me, and I really wanted to get it, but I just didnt have enough for both the Powerbook and the Applecare together.

QUESTION: So, I was wondering if anyone knew how long after the purchase date of the computer I had to buy the AppleCare.

Thanks in advance, and to those who read my life story, hope I didnt take up to much of your time

irockdabari
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2005, 12:51 AM

You have one year after your purchase date to exten your apple care coverage. After a year has gone by, you will no longer be able to extend your applecare coverage. Your PB came with 1 year of apple care, buying apple care extends your coverage to 3 years. It is best not to wait, anything could happen at anytime.
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2005, 01:35 AM

First of all, welcome to Mac!

AppleCare is the one "extended warranty" that I ALWAYS buy - I turn down all others (BestBuy, etc.) There are so many expensive components/repairs that can occur during 3 years, that it really is worth it. Especially with a PowerBook.

Your standard Apple warranty is one year from purchase, and as long as you buy (and register!) AppleCare before that date, you're OK.

One other thing: although Apple's standard warranty is one year, "free telephone tech support," I believe is less than that (is it 3 months?), i.e. you're charged for tech support telephone time, but any repair necessary is covered free (as long as it's a warrantied problem, i.e. not from abuse, etc.) With AppleCare, tech support remains free throughout the 3 years.

You can also find sales on AppleCare at times (you don't have to buy it from Apple, although you can), saving much from Apple's $350 selling price (e.g. Smalldog.com and others), and if you're eligible for an "educational discount" from Apple, it's about $250.

iBorg

jam8
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2005, 01:40 AM

Is it possible to purchase the extended Applecare on a system that you buy used, within the one year applecare grace period?

powermacj7
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2005, 08:31 AM

Apple care will pay for itself, if you need down the road. I always get it, shortly after I purchase a new Mac. Usually, at the same time I get a new PB, I can't afford both, certainly before the year is out, get it.

Jam8, I believe as long as your Mac is a year old, used or not, you can purchase AppleCare. Check it out on the Mac web sites, or simply give Apple a call to insure this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules