Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Updating OS 10.1 problems

Updating OS 10.1 problems
cejones
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2002, 05:16 PM

I have an iMac (700 MHz) with 128 Megs of RAM.

I current have OS 10.1 installed. When I downloaded the 10.1.5 combo updater and tried to install it, it told me that it required Installer Update 1.0.

So , I headed to Apple and downloaded that program. When I attempt to install this program, when I get to the part where you choose which destination harddrive, it shows my HD, but it is greyed out and I cannot choose it....

Why is this? I have 19 GB of free space on it. Is it because I only have 128 MB RAM?

I have never run across this problem before on other macs...

I even enabled root and authenticated as root, with no help...

Thanks for any information

Chris

<small>[ 07-19-2002, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: cejones ]</small>

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2002, 05:31 PM

hello ... i had a simliar problem. i was downloading the combo update from the website (www.apple.com/blah/blah/blah.dmg or whatever), and it would not work. it was 45.1MB on a 56K line, otherwise known as almost 3 hours wasted. So it wouldn't let me install it so i tried downloading all other updates and still no luck. I ran software update, and downloaded the combo update from there, which was 46.x MB, and that worked. if your software update is working, give that a try. if not, i can send it to you on a cd, no big deal.

i would also suggest for a more pleasant OS X experience, up the RAM. I have 256MB, but i just ordered a 512MB chip from Crucial and am quite excited to experience OS X with 768MB RAM. also, @ crucial, the 256MB chips are $40.00 off with a coupon, for just over $100.00 each, not bad at all. just a suggestion.

<small>[ 07-19-2002, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Proudest Monkey ]</small>
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

cejones  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2002, 01:17 PM

Solved my problem... In order to install the 10.1.5 combo update, Apple requires the Installer Update to be installed first.

In order to install the Installer Update, Apple requires that some Network Update Patch be installed first.

It was not clearly distinguished on the Apple support page for the Installer Update, but once I installed the Network Update and the Installer Update, I had no problem installing the 10.1.5 combo update.

Whew... a fun few hours, to say the least.

Forum Links
Forum Rules