Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iChat and bluescreen plugin?

iChat and bluescreen plugin?
Stoopid
Aug 28, 2005, 04:18 PM

Anyone know of any plugins for iChat or AIM or any chat program that allows for near-realtime bluescreening to change a background?

I just got a webcam and am really enjoying video conferencing with my employer and friends, but I really want to have some kind "PeeWee's Playhouse phone" switchable backgrounds plugin.

If such a program exists on a PC, I'd even be interested in that, too. Making large printouts, taping them together, and hanging them behind me just seems so... analog.

(Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I couldn't locate any questions quite like it in the search function)

himself
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2005, 10:48 PM

That would be pretty neat, if the product doesn't already exist. Imagine video conferencing with a backdrop of the surface of the moon behind me...
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Stoopid  (op)
Aug 30, 2005, 01:29 AM

I know! It seems like such basic concept that there'd be dozens of manufacturers, but I don't think anyone has made it yet.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 30, 2005, 09:56 AM

It'd be a little difficult software-wise to figure out what's in the background and what's in the foreground (not impossible but I'm sure the cut between fore and back would be a little difficult to do without a true solid color background).

Stoopid  (op)
Aug 30, 2005, 11:03 PM

I don't mind having a green sheet or posterboard or whatever posted behind me. That's how I figured it would work. There are at least 2 companies that make bluescreen software for iMovie. Imovie uses DV streams. IChat uses DV streams. You know?

I guess I'll have to resort to taping together printouts for fake backgrounds. If I lower the resolution on the outgoing stream, maybe the seams won't be visible, and my parents will still think I'm in the swiss alps afterall.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 31, 2005, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Stoopid
I don't mind having a green sheet or posterboard or whatever posted behind me. That's how I figured it would work. There are at least 2 companies that make bluescreen software for iMovie. Imovie uses DV streams. IChat uses DV streams. You know?

I guess I'll have to resort to taping together printouts for fake backgrounds. If I lower the resolution on the outgoing stream, maybe the seams won't be visible, and my parents will still think I'm in the swiss alps afterall.
Can you ask those companies to make an iChat plugin?

himself
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 06:57 PM

"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Forum Links
Forum Rules