Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > My Monitor is fading

My Monitor is fading
fletch521
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2002, 10:43 AM

My Monitor is fading

I�m into the 5th week of the 3-5 week wait that the Apple store said it would take to build my 800MHz. iMac. ( Ordered Feb. 6th ). I think that because I�ve made a deal to sell my 333MHz.iMac that it has thrown a fit of jealousy and started acting up for the first time in it�s three years.

The problem is that the screen keeps getting darker and darker. I have attempted to adjust it in ColorSync several times and the first few times it worked for awhile then went darker again. Now now adjustment seams to help.

Do I need a new monitor and if so where can I get one?

Fletch
MacBook Air, 2.13GHz, 128GB solid-state drive
24-inch Apple LED Cinema Display
iPhone 4

Stoopid
Mar 12, 2002, 11:59 AM

6 months into owning my 233, the screen started to get dim like yours.
I took it to the store and they took a long nylon scredriver and adjusted the hidden brightness knob on (in) the top of the computer. Look through the air vent slots on the top left of the computer, I think that's where it is.

Then 1 year into it, my screen went dim again. Really dim. This time, they replaced the monitor cable.

Then a year and a half after that, my analog card broke, so I started using an external monitor.

Originally posted by fletch521:
<STRONG>My Monitor is fading

I’m into the 5th week of the 3-5 week wait that the Apple store said it would take to build my 800MHz. iMac. ( Ordered Feb. 6th ). I think that because I’ve made a deal to sell my 333MHz.iMac that it has thrown a fit of jealousy and started acting up for the first time in it’s three years.

The problem is that the screen keeps getting darker and darker. I have attempted to adjust it in ColorSync several times and the first few times it worked for awhile then went darker again. Now now adjustment seams to help.

Do I need a new monitor and if so where can I get one?

Fletch</STRONG>

fletch521  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2002, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by Stoopid:
<STRONG>Look through the air vent slots on the top left of the computer, I think that's where it is.

</STRONG>
That is where they are. There are two of them. I don't know what they are called and in the process of locating them I seamed to fix the problem. ( Loose and/or dirty cable connection. )

Looking through the case I was unable to identify the screw that you mentioned so I broke out my Swiss Army Knife and went to work disassembling my beloved iMac. Now that I have completely removed the skin they where easy to spot on the naked iMac. Looking from the top with the screen away from you they are to the far right just ahead of the metal brace. The inside screw adjust contrast and the outside screw adjust brightness.

I have it up and running on my desk now still with the case removed and the display seams to be working like new. My digital camera is due to return from its vacation in the morning. ( It got to go on a cruise with my Mother and Father.) If anyone is interested I�ll post a picture of them ( adjustment screws ) so anyone else that needs to correct this doesn�t have to take theirs apart.

Fletch
MacBook Air, 2.13GHz, 128GB solid-state drive
24-inch Apple LED Cinema Display
iPhone 4

MasterMinds, Inc.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2002, 06:44 PM

Now that's a great tip!

But my tangerine iMac is starting to look worried as I pull out the tools...

Forum Links
Forum Rules