Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Play Videos In ipod!!! Yes You Can

Play Videos In ipod!!! Yes You Can
techzone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2005, 12:46 PM

Hi everyone, Khan here. Now you can watch videos ( With Sound ) in your ipod. I installed Linux & now I can play videos. I have created a video so that you can see how the video looks like in ipod. I used my Craapy Webcam To capture the video. ( sorry for the video quality )

File Size = 23mb
Codec = Xvid

Download Link =http://files.mirrorme.org/f62a112356d3

Thanks.

havocidal
Sep 12, 2005, 12:19 AM

how did u do that?? =/

hadocon
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by havocidal
how did u do that?? =/
He's probably using this: http://ipodlinux.org/Video_Player

He must be using the potentially unstable developer version, cause I see that he has it running on a 4th-gen. There is no version that is compatible with the nano.

It is a shame that with this method users must specifically format the video files (large!) - we can't yet throw on a few .mp4 .3gp .h264 files...

Personally I would love it if Apple gave us video capability in firmware, but I wonder how it would affect battery life.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

michaelb
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by hadocon
He's probably using this: http://ipodlinux.org/Video_Player
It is a shame that with this method users must specifically format the video files (large!) - we can't yet throw on a few .mp4 .3gp .h264 files...
It's much the same with a PSP, which is designed to be a mobile video device.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2005, 09:24 AM

Very cool..
Just a shame it needs a degree in Nerdnux to make it possible. Apple could easily have done this themselves if they wanted. So Why didn't they? Im guessing its down to copyrights and licensing issues. Not to mention them trying to work out how they can best make more money out of it..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

havocidal
Sep 12, 2005, 10:44 AM

hmm?? i mean they are already offering music videos in itunes... so what's stopping them from putting video capability in it???

btw khan... i don't own the ipod (color) currently... but it seems to me the text in ur ipod is also smaller... did u mod that as well???

hadocon
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by havocidal
hmm?? i mean they are already offering music videos in itunes... so what's stopping them from putting video capability in it???

btw khan... i don't own the ipod (color) currently... but it seems to me the text in ur ipod is also smaller... did u mod that as well???
He's using linux on the iPod. The device is technically no longer an iPod.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

John B. Smith
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2005, 04:39 PM

Is it possible for me to adjust the resolution to make the video even smaller? I can only watch movies on screens that are the size of a postage stamp.

Forum Links
Forum Rules