Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > cell phone for 10 yr old: recommendations?

cell phone for 10 yr old: recommendations?
hart
Senior User
Sep 13, 2005, 11:55 AM

ack! I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get my 10 yr old daughter a phone. How New York. But she got off the school bus 10 blocks from our house by mistake on her first day riding the bus and I had no idea what had happened to her. I just get the heeby jeebies when I see all the little kids with phones (we live in Brooklyn), it seems so conspicuous consumptionesque.

Anyway, she is not exactly a candidate for delicate electronic equipment. She can barely manage a regular phone call. Not exactly a born button pusher. And she's the type of kid who has months' worth of crushed food and papers in the bottom of her backpack. I need something that doesn't have too many buttons, that can be programmed and then have the programmed numbers EASILY accessed by a frightened 10 yr old and also a phone that is durable. Isn't there some phone specifically designed for kids? I thought I saw one several months ago.

All of you who want to rant on about the unforgivable materialism that haunts today's youth, parents who spoil their kids, etc. just take it as a given.

Thanks for any suggestions!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2005, 12:00 PM

Scifience
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2005, 12:21 PM

Any of the free phones that come with a new service plan are basic and usually fairly good.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2005, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Scifience
Any of the free phones that come with a new service plan are basic and usually fairly good.
No, you should take time to read her post and understand her concerns.

-t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2005, 12:34 PM

A prepaid phone may be a good idea.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2005, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Are you guys ever reading the posters original post ?

-t

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2005, 12:36 PM

"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2005, 12:44 PM

One area of concern: Radiation. There has been research, not sure about the conclusiveness, that suggest that children are far more at risk from phone radiation than adults.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2005, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
One area of concern: Radiation. There has been research, not sure about the conclusiveness, that suggest that children are far more at risk from phone radiation than adults.
There is NO radiation from phones. Or have I missed the nuclear powered cell phones ?

I guess you are talking about radio wave emissions ?

-t

jcadam
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2005, 12:48 PM

most definitely. And I believe prepaid to be a good idea for ANY cell phone. Cell phone contracts are the most asinine, insanely-one-sided, legally-binding agreements you'll ever see. Only an idiot would sign one. The only type of contract that is worse is an enlistment contract for the US Army
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2005, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
There is NO radiation from phones. Or have I missed the nuclear powered cell phones ?

-t

Also commonly referred to as cell phone radiation levels.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2005, 01:06 PM

Are you guys ever reading the posters original post ?

-t
Yeah, and I missed the part in which he referenced or alluded to prepaid phones.
Originally Posted by jcadam
most definitely. And I believe prepaid to be a good idea for ANY cell phone. Cell phone contracts are the most asinine, insanely-one-sided, legally-binding agreements you'll ever see. Only an idiot would sign one. The only type of contract that is worse is an enlistment contract for the US Army
I hate contracts and monthly fees too. Unfortunately, prepaid wireless was not cost effective, at least not until the competition of recent years. The phones plus the minutes were more expensive than regular plans, and I don't like the fact that minutes expire. Nonetheless, I'm seriously contemplating moving to prepaid once my contract is up.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2005, 01:26 PM

-t

Hey Turtle, I thought that cell phones emit electro-magnetic waves as a result of their basic operation. Is this just a bunch of bs to keep my from putting my cell in my front pocket?

I would suggest this. It's a great cell phone with camera capabilities, specially designed for a novice:

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2005, 01:30 PM

I wouldn't be concerned about radiation or whatever you call it.

The phone is supposed to do one thing: press ONE button and talk to mum and dad. That's it. No calls to other people, incoming calls limited to preprogrammed caller IDs.

In this case, the kid won't use it all the time, so I wouldn't be worried about the emmisions. It's supposed to sit in a backpack and used in emergency situation only.

-t

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2005, 01:39 PM

Why do they need phones?
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2005, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Scandalous Ion Cannon

did I miss something? why did this not end the thread?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2005, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by DeathMan
did I miss something? why did this not end the thread?
Well, one possible reason why your post was not a thread-ender is that the OP is in New York while that phone is available in Canada only (according to their very nice Flash site).

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2005, 01:49 PM

I wouldn't be concerned about radiation or whatever you call it.
Should I not be concerned because the radiation is too low to actually do any harm or becasue you just want it that way?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2005, 01:52 PM

in the situation you described, just get a couple of 2-way radios. one button press talks to the other headset. most will work just fine in a 10 block radious. spend a little more money and you can get that some that will cover a few miles of coverage. most hiking ones are built like tanks and withstand abuse in a backpack. can't be more simplar than a 1 button talk feature.

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2005, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil
in the situation you described, just get a couple of 2-way radios. one button press talks to the other headset. most will work just fine in a 10 block radious.

This is a good idea and hence will end this thread, I hope.
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2005, 02:01 PM

This article is a good starting point. There are many links to phones some of which have been already suggested above.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,122316,00.asp

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2005, 02:02 PM

Well, one possible reason why your post was not a thread-ender is that the OP is in New York while that phone is available in Canada only (according to their very nice Flash site).
I thought it must have been something like that. I was to lazy to do much more than be impressed by the site's design.

I thought I'd seen something about this phone in the states. Its a great idea, and I hope that it will be available in smaller format (maybe watch style, so she doesn't lose it) in coming years.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2005, 02:15 PM

in the situation you described, just get a couple of 2-way radios. one button press talks to the other headset. most will work just fine in a 10 block radious. spend a little more money and you can get that some that will cover a few miles of coverage. most hiking ones are built like tanks and withstand abuse in a backpack. can't be more simplar than a 1 button talk feature.
I don't think that this would suffice.

The original poster is concerned about his / her daugther. He / she wants a way to be able to contact her in case something unforseen happens.

To be limited to a 10 miles radius doesn't really help if something *unforseen* happens.

-t

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2005, 04:17 PM

About cell phone "radiation":

There are many forms of radiation; some are harmless, others are not. Regular light is a form of radiation that's basically harmless at reasonable levels. Radio waves are also radiation, and are basically harmless as well. X-rays are a hazardous form of radiation, because each radiation bit (called a photon) has enough energy to break chemical bonds. X-rays are dangerous because they can cause chemical changes inside you, including the development of cancer. I think the generally accepted limit of hazardous radiation is 13.6 eV/photon, which is ultraviolet. Anything this level and up can be dangerous.

Cell phone radiation is a far lower energy than 13.6 eV. It's in the microwave spectrum, which is between visible light and radio waves in energy. Even large amounts of microwave radiation are less dangerous than a small amount of X-rays (would you rather be hit by 1000 whiffle balls, or 1 rifle bullet?).

There is one mechanism through which low-energy radiation can be hazardous: heating tissue. Even though the tissue doesn't change chemically, it does absorb some of the radiation as heat. Enough microwave radiation can theoretically heat up your head enough to cause medical problems. Although, there is no proven link between cell phone use and any kind of medical problem.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2005, 05:04 PM

I don't think that this would suffice.

The original poster is concerned about his / her daugther. He / she wants a way to be able to contact her in case something unforseen happens.

To be limited to a 10 miles radius doesn't really help if something *unforseen* happens.

-t
in the case of unforseen, being snatched, a cell phone won't do any good either. you think a 'napper will say oh, yeah...answer the phone. dumbass.

where as getting off a few blocks away, the 2-way will work just fine.

no one solution will work for every single unforseen case. i gave a very valid solution for the onforseen case given. to say it would never happen again isn't true either.

as to he/she wants to contact the daugter, it is a 2-way. hello? either one can single button push to communicate to the other.

if you would like to list/discuss other unforseen events, we can talk solutions for those. a cell phone is not the answer for _all_ events.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2005, 05:13 PM

in the case of unforseen, being snatched, a cell phone won't do any good either. you think a 'napper will say oh, yeah...answer the phone. dumbass.
Some of the phones offer GPS tracking. So the kid would just leave the phone in the bag and not touch it. It's still possible to track it. I think the 2-way is just too limited if you are really worried about your kid.

-t

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2005, 05:19 PM

yup, both are, really. you can't keep your kids in bubbles forever

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2005, 05:33 PM

Well, maybe someone didn't try looking it up on google? Because last time I checked Illinois was not in Canada and I saw that thing at Target a few months back.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000A1GTRW

Anyway, I don't see the big deal in giving a kid a phone at that age. My parents gave them to my sibs when they started Jr. high. With them having practice for sports, dance classes, piano, and going to different schools a cell phone just makes sense. The 2 way radio idea is stupid.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2005, 01:25 AM

The old nokia candy bar phones are really durable.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2005, 01:32 AM

I think the website was saying it is only in Canada on Rogers as the provider.
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2005, 02:06 AM

I saw that phone in a Target in Florida.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2005, 02:21 AM

Firefly. Cool as shiite and kids like em and they work and my 9 yr old feels like he is responsible.

Done... Next...?

Jacob
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2005, 02:58 AM

I wouldnt get one. Not healthy.
"I cluck, therefor I am."

Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2005, 03:21 AM

Regardless of my view on cellphone radiation (that is the idea is absurd, and in the same league as power line radiation, VLF submarine radio radiation, and aliens), if the phone is for emergencies they will use if for 5 minutes a week. Even if cellphone radiation did somehow prove to be dangerous, 5 minutes is insignificant.

So ya, "safety" or "health" is not an issue, not in the least.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2005, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Scandalous Ion Cannon
I think the website was saying it is only in Canada on Rogers as the provider.
In that case, sorry about that oversight.

Cipher13
Sep 14, 2005, 04:08 AM

That Firefly thing looks good, but I've never heard of it. Not available here.

Personally, I'd go for a pre-paid Nokia 2100 or something. Basic, and very tough... you don't need something as simplistic as that Firefly, necessarily. The old Nokia brick interface is incredibly simple.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2005, 05:42 AM

Good idea. Every kid has a phone here in Japan. But many companies have it set up where they can only receive and send calls to certain numbers.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2005, 07:29 AM

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2005, 08:11 AM

I have one of those^^^ for sale. Moto Razor 45680

Cubeoid
Baninated
Sep 14, 2005, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh