Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod mini broke 4 times in 8 months!

iPod mini broke 4 times in 8 months!
jlgrandam
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2005, 09:18 PM

This is crazy. I bought the wife a 4GB mini back in Feb. right before the 2nd generation minis came out. It broke 2 times within 3 months when parts of the scroll wheel stopped working (the menu button). Each time Apple has replaced it with a different "refurbished" unit as evidence by each one having a different serial number when I get it back from them. Then the unit froze with nothing on the screen and refused to turn on 10 days ago. So I had to pay them $29 to ship it back to them since they only pay for shipping for the first 6 months of the warranty. We got another refurb unit back and today it froze and is now showing the sad iPod face and will not respond. I am fuming right now that a $230 product is so unreliable. I will not pay Apple another cent for this iPod but what are my options here? Must I stay in this endless cycle of getting refurb products back that fail in a short time frame? Has anyone dealt with a situation similar to this? Thanks for listening to my rant!

I should add that we do not abuse this iPod. The worst she does is run with it attached to her hip but since Apple sells exercise armbands for this iPod, I don't think this is out of the realm of usage that was intended.
12.1" Powerbook G4

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2005, 09:33 PM

Call up Apple and demand an iPod Nano in exchange. The Nano has no moving parts so it's likely to do better on a jog.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

jlgrandam  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2005, 09:39 PM

You think they would actually comply with that??
12.1" Powerbook G4

torifile
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2005, 09:43 PM

Have them replace it and the ebay it, if you're sure you don't want it. I must ask, though, are you sure there's nothing YOU'RE doing that's breaking it? I'm not being accusatory, just wondering what the odds are of one person having 4 broken iPods. They've got to be really low...

jlgrandam  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2005, 09:49 PM

Well I don't watch her with it 24/7 but this most recent one that broke is still absolutely flawless on the outside so it's not like she dropped it and didn't tell me or something. I mean it looks like it was just opened from a brand new package. I've owned several apple computers and other iPods and have never had an experience like this before.
12.1" Powerbook G4

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 19, 2005, 12:17 AM

I agree that the chances of having this occur four times in a row seem pretty small (after all, I don't recall hearing about an epidemic of iPod failures that would lead me to believe that they have major reliability issues). But it's within the realm of possibility. Still, I do sort of wonder if jogging with it on your hip would be more jarring than having it on an arm band. If you can get a Nano out of the deal somehow, I would recommend it. It's very nice and should stand up to jogging better.

gez2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2005, 02:00 AM

I have exactly the same problem! My girlfriends ipod mini has broken 3 times in a year. the click wheel has gone everytime (menu button will not work). Apple have replaced it each time and given me a refurb model. If it goes again i will seriously think about ever buying another. The ipod is kept in a skin and an ipod sock and is looked after well! They agreed to replace the latest one for free- it was just inside the 90 day warantee on the replacement. Anyone else had the menu button stop working??

zoroaster68
Baninated
Sep 19, 2005, 09:36 AM

My sister's ipod mini has died twice in the past 2 years or so.

Forum Links
Forum Rules