Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > please help, USB DSL modem

please help, USB DSL modem
Hani
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2005, 07:38 AM

hello all
just moved to a new country, my bro has DSL using a Lucent Technologies CellPipe USB DSL Modem, i have no clue about such stuff, but how can i get my powerbook connected, the included cd for the modem is WIN only, please please can someone advice me on what to do
thanks a bunch

Krypton
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2005, 01:08 PM

If it's windows only, you're out of luck; look into getting an ethernet based modem or router (with wireless if you have an Airport card).

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 19, 2005, 05:02 PM

Post the model of the modem, and maybe someone can help you figure this out. According to Lucent's data sheet for the 20A CellPipe, it IS compatible with Macs. From everything I've seen on Lucent's site, the 20A is the only USB DSL modem in that series, so the issue is probably just finding and reading the manual.

By the way, it IS a bit of a pain to have to use a USB modem; an ethernet modem is far better in every respect. Not only is the 20A USB 1.1, but it's virtually impossible to share or network a USB modem, while an ethernet modem is easy to share.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Krypton
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2005, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Post the model of the modem, and maybe someone can help you figure this out. According to Lucent's data sheet for the 20A CellPipe, it IS compatible with Macs. From everything I've seen on Lucent's site, the 20A is the only USB DSL modem in that series, so the issue is probably just finding and reading the manual.

By the way, it IS a bit of a pain to have to use a USB modem; an ethernet modem is far better in every respect. Not only is the 20A USB 1.1, but it's virtually impossible to share or network a USB modem, while an ethernet modem is easy to share.
The sharing pane in System Preferences makes it a snap to share the connection from a USB modem

(I had a setup like this until recently).

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 21, 2005, 03:42 PM

I never found the Internet Sharing to be as reliable as a hardware NAT device.

tooki

Krypton
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by tooki

tooki
I found it reliable provided there weren't more than 3 computers sharing the connection at once; hence, new Mac, new router

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 22, 2005, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by tooki

tooki
Ditto, plus setup can be a pain-though it is easier on a Mac than on a PC. It's still not as straightforward as using a NAT router.

Yes, I'm a router evangelist, and proud of it! But that's because I've gone through all those issues with sharing and such and found the "better way" was letting the router do it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules