Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > ATTN Vmarks

ATTN Vmarks
Ca$h68
Banned
May 2, 2002, 02:41 PM

Hey man, remember hwnen I asked about ram before? Well I've just spent 30 minutes searching for that topic but come up dry. What hte heck kind of ram did you reccamend?

Also, does anyone remember what panasonic CDR drive they were talking about for 1st gen iMacs over at xlr8yourmac.com? I can't finnd that either. Search engines suck.

- Ca$h

ValVashon
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2002, 07:06 PM

A Sony CRX 700e works if you create a solder bridge between pins 45 and 47 on the mini IDE to IDE card (do it on the mini IDE side). That way it can be a bootable drive. These pins are very small and you have to use a very small tip on your iron. It causes the Profilier to "see" two CD-ROM drives, one real and one phantom, but it works. I can send you a screen shot of what I am talking about if you like. Buy one of mine when I get the plastic doo-dads made so it matches the front of the original iMac. I'll be speaking to the plastic people next week. I'm hoping to be able to sell these things for around $200.00 or less, but can't make any promises. It's an 8x4x32 CDRW if you are curious.

Val

[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: ValVashon ]

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 3, 2002, 12:09 AM

I get consistantly good results with ram sold for IBM T series Thinkpads (T21, T22, 2657 series.)

Crucial.com sells for these, and the 256 modules never fail.

I recall we were speculating on 512mb modules- I still don't have a good answer for you on that question.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Ca$h68  (op)
Banned
May 3, 2002, 12:57 PM

ah, no thanks.. THe CDR they mentioned was only like 65 bucks, so I think I'll do that one. Plus i can probably make it look alright on my own.

Anyway, you guys dont know of a nice memory plaace that would return the chip for no charge if it didnt work do you? I was thinking about getting a 512 meg chip, and seein gif it works. But if it doesnt work I dont want to have a bunch of wasted $.

- Ca$h

gumby5647
Professional Poster
May 3, 2002, 01:59 PM

If it doesn't work you could always re-sell it here on MacNN or someplace to some PowerBook/iBook user. You probably won't get all of your money back, but it would be close....depends on what kind of salesman ya are
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

Fredo
Senior User
May 3, 2002, 03:34 PM

I got two 512 chips from crucial and they work great. I believe they will replace any faulty chip. http://www.crucial.com./
Who are the Brain Police?

Stoopid
May 3, 2002, 04:49 PM

you used a 512 sodimm in a rev a-d? Which one? I can't find it under any of the thinkpad T-21 sodimms at Crucial

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 3, 2002, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by Fredo:
<STRONG>I got two 512 chips from crucial and they work great. I believe they will replace any faulty chip. http://www.crucial.com./</STRONG>
Please post which crucial part number was on your invoice, so that I can try this also.

Thank you.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Fredo
Senior User
May 4, 2002, 02:46 PM

Part number CT 223789. I purchased them on Jan 14 for $119.69 each. As I have a DV SE 400 iMac, I don't think this fact will help rev A owners. Sorry if I misled you, however, I stand behind my endorsement of Crucial RAM. They sell a reliable product, and warranty it in case of defect.

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: Fredo ]
Who are the Brain Police?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 4, 2002, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by Fredo:
<STRONG>Part number CT 223789. I purchased them on Jan 14 for $119.69 each. As I have a DV SE 400 iMac, I don't think this fact will help rev A owners. Sorry if I misled you, however, I stand behind my endorsement of Crucial RAM. They sell a reliable product, and warranty it in case of defect.

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: Fredo ]</STRONG>
Thanks for getting back, - yes, your iMac can hold two 512mb dimms. The topic we're trying to solve is, whether or not we can convince an iMac to accept two 512mb so-dimms.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2002, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by vmarks:
<STRONG>

Thanks for getting back, - yes, your iMac can hold two 512mb dimms. The topic we're trying to solve is, whether or not we can convince an iMac to accept two 512mb so-dimms.</STRONG>
Then I suggest the thread title be changed accordingly.

-spheric*

Xaositect
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2002, 09:57 AM

On 266MHz and faster iMacs I have gotten a 512Mb(upper) and 256Mb(lower) to work with various manufacturers SO-Dimms. The 233, both rev A and B, I have not gotten to work reliably over 384 (256 upper, 128 lower). It works when it starts, but about 1 out of 5 starts just hangs. I have talked to people who claim to have installed two 256Mb modules in a 233MHz without problem, but I have not actually seen one that worked.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 6, 2002, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by Xaositect:
<STRONG>On 266MHz and faster iMacs I have gotten a 512Mb(upper) and 256Mb(lower) to work with various manufacturers SO-Dimms. The 233, both rev A and B, I have not gotten to work reliably over 384 (256 upper, 128 lower). It works when it starts, but about 1 out of 5 starts just hangs. I have talked to people who claim to have installed two 256Mb modules in a 233MHz without problem, but I have not actually seen one that worked.</STRONG>
Please post which 512mb module you use. Please post the manufacturer of the memory chips on the module and the part numbers..

I can always get two 256mb modules working if they're the modules I mentioned for thinkpads above.

Xaositect
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2002, 12:37 PM

The 512Mb DIMMs I've used are usually PNY or similar - whatever is on sale at CompUSA or other retailer in the area. I never really paid attention beyond that.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 7, 2002, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by Xaositect:
<STRONG>The 512Mb DIMMs I've used are usually PNY or similar - whatever is on sale at CompUSA or other retailer in the area. I never really paid attention beyond that.</STRONG>
well, could I ask you to look?

Xaositect
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2002, 10:50 AM

They were not my machines, so I no longer have access to them. I repair Macs (and the occasional printer or PC).

I have upgraded RAM on dozens of iMacs (tray load). the break was usually at 233MHz to 266MHz for whether or not a machine could use 512Mb DIMMs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules