Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB driver for Motorola phones

USB driver for Motorola phones
Prijker
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2005, 07:18 AM

I have a Moto V550 and I must use a PC to use the Mobile Phone Tools from Motorola which allows me to edit every bit of the mobile OS.
I have a mobile-USB cable which connect to the PC and mounts the phone in XP.
No way to do that in VPC, as it doesn't even detect the mobile hardware.
Well, the other day, i tried to mount my V550 directly in OSX (just to add some picts), but it didn't mount, although System Profiler recognized it as a V550.
It seems some kind of USB driver is missing from OSX to mount this kind of hardware (in fact it's the first time a USB device doesn't mount).
A link to this driver would be really appreciated

Vic

Prijker  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2005, 04:35 PM

bump

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2005, 05:29 PM

I was fortunate, my V551 hooks up via bluetooth to my 17" PB. A friend has a similar Moto, no BT, and we have found no way to connect it to his G5 tower even with the cable you mentioned.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 2, 2005, 09:43 PM

Did you try seeing if iSync saw your phone-I bet it does. iSync sees the V180, so it really should see the V550. And if it sees it, maybe you'll then be able to convice OS X that it's there and play from there.

Note that the phone is usually seen as a MODEM, so if you're looking for it to show up as a drive, you're looking in the wrong place.

And if the V550 has Bluetooth, that's all you need. However, the Mobile Phone Tools program is ONLY for Windows, and it needs some sort of software magic to work with the phone's OS and allow you to alter the contents of the phone.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Prijker  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2005, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Did you try seeing if iSync saw your phone-I bet it does. iSync sees the V180, so it really should see the V550. And if it sees it, maybe you'll then be able to convice OS X that it's there and play from there.

Note that the phone is usually seen as a MODEM, so if you're looking for it to show up as a drive, you're looking in the wrong place.

And if the V550 has Bluetooth, that's all you need. However, the Mobile Phone Tools program is ONLY for Windows, and it needs some sort of software magic to work with the phone's OS and allow you to alter the contents of the phone.
Yes, I have Bluetooth, and I can easily move sounds, picts to and from my cell phone wth Apple Bluetooth File Exchange.
I was looking for a way to do from my Mac what i can achieve from my PC: modify some cell phone system files directly. In my PC I use Mobile Phone Tools and some freeware utils like P2K, PKman, and the like.

Well, i need this software magic, cause my PC is at work and I have a Mac at home, and I have little time to play with the cell phone at work.
Thus, I've been thinking of a way to mount the phone in the Desktop and then eventually... you know.

Vic

Forum Links
Forum Rules