Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook questions - Student

Powerbook questions - Student
jamesl
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2005, 11:28 AM

HI

As a UK student, just started university, I am obviously looking for a new laptop to use for my media course.

However, everybody seems that people seem to think im stupid for wanting to buy a POwerbook, with my NUS discount, which makes then £1269 for the 15" combo.

People tell me that not only would an ibook be just as good, but the powerbook 15" is basically very prone to faults, and will definetlyu be going into repair.

So i need your advice, as I personally think the powerbooks have got a far better build quality, but Im concerned that the high cost could be wasted if what people say is true.

Thanks!

jamesl  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2005, 11:29 AM

Also, I am concerned that if i buy one this weekend, they will launch an update say next week or something?

either way, I will be taking advantage of apples student fianance option, for 10 months.

Yonidass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2005, 11:36 AM

There are quite a few posts comparing PBs with iBooks. It would help if you explained just what you need it for. If you don't need the extra power, better video card, better connectivity, then iBooks are by far more economical.

powerule
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2005, 11:51 AM

I decided to wait for the Intel Books. The screens should be much brighter.

jamesl  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2005, 12:00 PM

I am basically going to be using ot for my broadcast media course, in which i will be editing audio, video and doing a lot of photoshop work.

I will also be using a lot of web design applications such as macromedias suite, and also VPC to run frontpage.

What do you think?

giggs11
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2005, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by powerule
I decided to wait for the Intel Books. The screens should be much brighter.
You do realize you'll be waiting a while, right? The first Intel Macs of any kind won't be out until June, so if we're lucky we'll have an Intel Powerbook by the end of 2006. If you need a PB, just makes sense to get one sooner rather than later, unless you can really wait.

Yonidass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2005, 12:22 PM

You could do all of that on an iBook but performance will be better on a PB, especially for video and heavy photoshop rendering. With the new iBooks out, you might want to look around for benchmark tests that compare the two models ( check www.xlr8yourmac.com ). The PBs will surely perform better, but in some cases it may not be so much. Regarding breakdowns, I don't know if the new PBs are more prone than iBooks. It's always a matter of chance with either model.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2005, 12:29 PM

if you're gonna be doing all the things you mentioned heavily, then there's no real option..you need the powerbook. with that said, if it were me purchasing..i'd go with the ibook because i dont mind working in strictly 1024x768. actually if it were me buying for all that you've mentioned, id go with an iMac AND iBook (iBook through refurb/ebay)...roughly the same cost as the powerbook but the iMac will blow the powerbook out of the water when it comes to audio/video, no contest. but if the choices are strictly between iBook and powerbook...most users would have to go with the powerbook, cept if you're like me n' dont really care about a few extra seconds of rendering and 1024x768.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

powerule
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2005, 12:43 PM

iBooks have feeble screens, in fact the screens are the poorest ive seen on any notebook at this price range and thats a shame on apple's behalf.

Yonidass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2005, 12:45 PM

powerule
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2005, 01:19 PM

show me a link that gives the ibook praises due to its marvelous excellent bright screen.

giggs11
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2005, 01:26 PM

show me a link that gives the ibook praises due to its marvelous excellent bright screen.
You don't like the screen. We get it. To some people though, there are other things that are important as well.

MarkJ61
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2005, 01:42 PM

RE screens, just did a side-by-side at Apple Store yesterday.
The ibook 12" was definately brighter that the PB 12"

Might have been a bad PB on display, but If this one look represents the current product then the PB 12" is the current dog on screen brightness.

powerule
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2005, 02:21 PM

iBooks bad screens fellas, this is a fact. please dont make it seem like iam the one starting these statements, Its a fact just like 12pb are not as bright as 15 pb.
"i dont like it??" whats there to like?

Important? cosidering the screen is what you look at, i dont care if ibooks came with 10gb of ram, if the screen is weak it aint for me.

pat++
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 05:07 PM

Get the 15" PB. For what you need to do, the extra power, better/larger screen will be worth it. Oh, and yes, you'll get the cool illuminated keyboard

jamesl  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2005, 11:55 AM

Well I decided to go for the 15 inch, combo powerbook. SHould be delivered either tommorow or monday, and Im really looking forward to it!
Will let you know how I go on!

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2005, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by MarkJ61
RE screens, just did a side-by-side at Apple Store yesterday.
The ibook 12" was definately brighter that the PB 12"

Might have been a bad PB on display, but If this one look represents the current product then the PB 12" is the current dog on screen brightness.
From everything that I've read, the screens are identical in the 12" iBook and 12" PowerBook, both inferior to the 15" and 17" PowerBook screens.

iBorg

jamesl  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2005, 04:26 PM

Well my powerbook G4 15inch arrived today, and all I can say is i love it!!! EVerything about it is fantastic. I particularly like the backlight keyboard too.

I am more than satisfied with my purchase, as always when buying apple products!

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2005, 12:50 AM

Just be sure to take good care of it. Proper laptop care help it stay in shape, as well as keeps its resale value high.

Buy AppleCare.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2005, 12:28 AM

"iBooks bad screens fellas"

yes powerule. they heard you the first three or four times.

hanxu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2005, 04:15 AM

I have a powerbook for Uni, but I really found myself not taking my powerbook out that much, so now I am kinda regret, wish I had ebayed a iMac and iBook.

robisconfusedd
Oct 5, 2005, 10:53 AM

ive had my powerbook for almost 2 years now and ive had no problems whatsoever, beside the fact that my dvd burner owned itself after i burnt 120 discs in a row (where i work it requires that) and a disc actually got stuck in there and so i took it into frys and they gave me a loaner for the meantime while they fixed it..

i find that they are very reliable, until the intelbooks come out though i find they are becoming outdated...

personally i find that the ibooks graphics are crap, as are their screens compared to the powerbooks

imacgeek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2005, 11:18 PM

if you are going to buy a powerbook which will be the best i would get a new one next week and it will be great for any media uses

giggs11
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2005, 12:14 AM

iBooks bad screens fellas, this is a fact. please dont make it seem like iam the one starting these statements, Its a fact just like 12pb are not as bright as 15 pb.
"i dont like it??" whats there to like?

Important? cosidering the screen is what you look at, i dont care if ibooks came with 10gb of ram, if the screen is weak it aint for me.
Wait, what? I don't understand you. Are you saying you love the screen? Clearly you've not made your point properly, and you should post it again.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2005, 11:44 PM

I'd wait a week; see what the special event brings.

The 15" PB has certainly had it's share of problems (white spots, exploding batteries, running so hot it warps), but it offers two big things that the iBooks don't: 40% more pixels and a better graphics card. If those matter to you, I'd go for the 12" PowerBook, otherwise I'd go with the 12" iBook for the battery life and buy a ton of RAM (1.5GB... mmm).

mad cow disease
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2005, 11:54 PM

But most of those 15" problems were with previous incarnations, weren't they? My current 15" has held up pretty well - so far, at least.

Forum Links
Forum Rules