Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Converting .ogm-files to .avi or .mpeg-4, how?

Converting .ogm-files to .avi or .mpeg-4, how?
rasmusnet
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2005, 01:03 PM

Is there an application that can do this?
VLC plays the file but I need to convert it to play it on my dvd-player.
I hope someone can help me, thanks.
Bstrgds, Rasmusnet

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2005, 03:33 PM

ogmdemux, part of ogmtools, will give you the streams in avi, mp3, ac3, srt, whatever is appropriate. Also VLC can re-encode to other formats, including directly to VOB

rasmusnet  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2005, 11:01 AM

Thank you Uncle Skeleton
I don't seem to be able to find a working version of ogmdemux/ogmtools or a version that will install.
Do know where I can find it and is it easy to use, I'm sort of a newbie at this??
Bstrgds, Rasmusnet

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2005, 02:34 PM

omgtools.

Originally Posted by Jacke
You open a new Terminal window, drag-and-drop ogmdemux on it, then drag-and-drop your ogm file on it and press enter. The files will be written to your home directory (I think).

To convert the ogg audio, you can try the Ogg QT component (unless it's broken) and convert with iTunes.

After conversion you use ffmpegX, opening the video file (choosing passthrough for that), then under audio you will see a button "add audio", find your MP3. Choose passthrough for audio also.
Edit: That info was for conversion to avi. If you're going DVD you can encode that with ffmpegX too without going via avi.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2005, 11:05 PM

I don't know if it will work, but ffmpegx is the swiss army knife of video tools. Just install it, drag the file into the source "well," select your desired output, and hit encode.

Forum Links
Forum Rules