Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Any strengthener for pathetic power adapter?

Any strengthener for pathetic power adapter?
tonbo0422
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2005, 07:21 PM

As usual, my power adapter for my iBook 14" broke today. This is about the 8th Macintosh laptop I've had so far (earliest was a 5300ce) and they've all had power supply issues--so what else is new.

But I was thinking that someone would strike it mighty rich if they had some catch-all solution to the incredibly flimsy power cord that goes into the iBook. There are iSkins. There are iBook covers.

Is there a device that surrounds or otherwise strengthens the pathetically weak juncture at which the power cord meets the iBook? If not, someone should invent one.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 22, 2005, 07:41 PM

I just put a load of electrical tape around mine to stop it fraying, it's actually pretty sturdy.
I'm afraid it seems too late for your adapter.

tonbo0422  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2005, 10:20 AM

Hmm . . . a third-party manufacturer of some sort of bracing device would make a fortune. Sheesh, I'd do it myself, but I don't have the background. I'm not the only one stewing about this--check out the reviews of the power adapter on Apple's store site: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...lm=M8943LL%2FA

(If the link doesn't work, surf to the Store, look up accessories and find this under the heading "Power").

There are covers for iBooks, all sorts of gewgaws . . . but this would save me $79 if it were out there! Any other suggestions other than electrical tape? I know it grips well but tends to get slimy with age and then leave an indelible sticky mess all over everything. I was thinking more like a "dry" solution.

tonbo0422  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2005, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by seanc
I just put a load of electrical tape around mine to stop it fraying, it's actually pretty sturdy.
I'm afraid it seems too late for your adapter.

Sorry, forgot to mention that after 45 minutes' grilling I managed to snag a new adapter from Apple. It's the new one I'd like to practice preventative medicine on. Over the weekend I got a look at a Dell adapter . . . it looks like those standard "power-brick"-type plugs we all have on so many electrical devices. Sturdy, flexible and looks unbreakable. Apple . . . ?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2005, 11:09 AM

Perhaps it's how the cord is being used.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 24, 2005, 11:13 AM

My white brick is fine at the moment but my yo-yo, thats another story.

tonbo0422  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2005, 12:02 PM

Yeah, my yo-yo died too--fraying at the juncture with the plug. As far as how it's being used . . . normal use. I don't hang the iBook from the power cord, but I do plug it in and unplug it several times a day. It has to be portable, doesn't it? Considering it protrudes out the side instead of the back, it's much more prone to knocking into things. That shouldn't harm it permanently, but one such knock will bend the metal brackets that hold it in the iBook.

Officially that voids the warranty, according to Apple. Is that reasonable? I didn't buy a laptop to stick it on a desk somewhere and not move it. That's called a desktop.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 24, 2005, 06:04 PM

We've never had a problem with our brick. (I hate calling it that-it's beautifully designed and small and lightweight...not at all brick-like.) Of course we don't do a lot of pack up and drag the thing around sorts of things, and it typically is plugged in under a rather deep desk, so neither the adapter nor the cord goes through much stress.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2005, 06:36 PM

try duct tape, it comes in clear now:

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2005, 07:23 PM

Is someone able to post a picture of the 'problem area', as I have no idea where the wires are fraying. Just want to see so I can be careful about mine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules