Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is HP Proprietary like Apple ?

Is HP Proprietary like Apple ?
malcolm347
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2005, 05:25 PM

Is HP a proprietary company(like you can only fix/upgrade their computers with their stuff) like apple? Because my Dad thnks they are. And this is probably is the deciding factor between an apple and pc for my laptop.

Thanks,
Malcolm

iomatic
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 05:48 PM

All companies are proprietary, but for this to be a factor in deciding which platform is a bit of a stretch, in my opinion. It would help more to know what uses he plans it for, than the probable cost of ownership?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2005, 05:56 PM

remember, apple makes it's software AND hardware.
on an HP, you'll be running microsoft's os.

so, no...not really.

also, there are plenty of hardware options for all laptops (including macs).

what's the deciding factor between the mac and the hp?

(osx would lean me towards a mac... )
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

bighead
Senior User
Oct 25, 2005, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm347
Is HP a proprietary company(like you can only fix/upgrade their computers with their stuff) like apple? Because my Dad thnks they are.
Almost all warranties for any device you purchase stipulate that damage caused by equipment not installed by the manufacturer or from the manufacturer by an authorized technician will void the warranty.

That means if you have an authorized technician install parts NOT from Apple (or HP for that matter) your warranty is in effect so long as the, say, RAM card or new hard drive doesn't nuke the mainboard. Now, if the mainboard does fail, they'll have a bitch of a time trying to prove that your Crucial memory card or 7200 RPM Travelstar killed it, and I've never seen it happen before. In theory, though, it is possible. Installing your own parts is technically not reason for the warranty to be voided under most circumstances, but if you're not careful when opening machines like the 12" PowerBook or iBooks, it's easy to screw things up fast by breaking small parts or losing screws. That's when it pays to have an authorized tech do the work for you. We screw up, we pay for the fix. You don't.

This is the same deal with cars. If you put a Fram oil filter on your Camry and the cheap paper on the inside comes loose and kills your engine, it is NOT going to be covered by Toyota. If you were using a Toyota OEM filter from the dealer you should be covered if something like that did happen. (I buy Wix filters.)
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2005, 06:34 PM

Laptops are generally proprietary to the same extent that Apple's are.
Desktops on the other hand are usually pretty common. If your powersupply dies after warranty, you can replace it with a standard ATX PSU. If your motherboard dies after warranty, you can replace it with a standard ATX mobo, although some of the connectors (like a special front panel) may or may not be there.

HP's systems are proprietary in some ways, but not as much as Apple.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2005, 06:36 PM

Apple laptops don't have any proprietary parts anymore. The RAM and hard drive (which are the only parts you'll ever be able to replace in any laptop) are standard parts. You'll void the warranty replacing the hard drive, but it's a standard part.

HP is the same way.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2005, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
If your motherboard dies after warranty, you can replace it with a standard ATX mobo, although some of the connectors (like a special front panel) may or may not be there.
This isn't usually true. I pretty much think putting a non-Dell mobo in a Dell won't work too well.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2005, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Apple laptops don't have any proprietary parts anymore. The RAM and hard drive (which are the only parts you'll ever be able to replace in any laptop) are standard parts. You'll void the warranty replacing the hard drive, but it's a standard part.

HP is the same way.
The screens, mother boards, etc. are proprietary in both. If yours dies after warranty, you can't just grab one at NewEgg.

Originally Posted by goMac
This isn't usually true. I pretty much think putting a non-Dell mobo in a Dell won't work too well.
The last couple Dell's I've cracked open were bone-standard ATX.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2005, 06:43 PM

The screens, mother boards, etc. are proprietary in both. If yours dies after warranty, you can't just grab one at NewEgg.

Sure, I was trying to say no PC laptop has a non-proprietary motherboard either. There is no such thing as a non-proprietary PC laptop.

My friend has a newish Dell that has a crazy cooling system (it's a P4). I highly doubt it would fit any ATX board. The Dell board is probably an ATX, but you know how ATX goes. Just because it's ATX doesn't mean it will fit.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2005, 03:24 PM

All their uber high-end systems (XPS gaming rigs) use proprietary mobos and power supplies. Dells in general are proprietary. You can replace the drives, the cards, and things, but the mobo is proprietary as a general rule... unless that has changed in the last 6 months.

itguy05
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2005, 04:56 PM

It may look like ATX, but chances are the mounting screws and back bezel will not fit. Also, Dell's power supplies have a habit of being semi-ATX with a funky bolt pattern, fan location, and possibly connectors. Yet another reason Dell is a POS. That and the fact that the bits and parts are the cheapest junk they can find.

That being said, most all laptops are proprietary, Apple, HP, IBM, Dell, etc.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 26, 2005, 06:33 PM

"Most all"? No. All.

There are no such things as standard laptop parts, beyond the optical drive, hard disk, RAM, and in some cases wireless cards. Every laptop motherboard is proprietary, as is effectively every battery and screen assembly.

There is zero difference in hardware proprietary-ness between Apple laptops and any other brand, because aside from the aforementioned few components, all laptop parts are custom made, regardless of platform.

tooki

pat++
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2005, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
"Most all"? No. All.

There are no such things as standard laptop parts, beyond the optical drive, hard disk, RAM, and in some cases wireless cards. Every laptop motherboard is proprietary, as is effectively every battery and screen assembly.

There is zero difference in hardware proprietary-ness between Apple laptops and any other brand, because aside from the aforementioned few components, all laptop parts are custom made, regardless of platform.

tooki
100% True.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2005, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
"Most all"? No. All.

The Pentium M CPU is also non-proprietary, although the motherboards they sit on are.

Tweak3D
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2005, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by bighead
This is the same deal with cars. If you put a Fram oil filter on your Camry and the cheap paper on the inside comes loose and kills your engine, it is NOT going to be covered by Toyota. If you were using a Toyota OEM filter from the dealer you should be covered if something like that did happen. (I buy Wix filters.)
has nothing to do with computers haha, but this is not a good analogie. Parts on cars can be replaced with any brand and if they kill your car they are covered via your warranty. Do a good search for SEMA and you can read about it. talk about off topic for me =P

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 1, 2005, 03:58 PM

The Pentium M CPU is also non-proprietary, although the motherboards they sit on are.
Nor is a PowerPC processor proprietary. But since laptop CPUs are normally soldered onto a custom board, and that laptop users never buy CPUs as a separate part, they aren't really a commodity component.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules