Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Will 20" Cinema go out of date?

Will 20" Cinema go out of date?
Bendyrabbit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2005, 11:03 PM

I'm looking to upgrade my system to do video editing. Currently I have a 1 Ghz 12" Powerbook with 768 MB of RAM which I hope to eventually replace it with a Powermac and a 20" Apple Cinema monitor. However, I'm a bit leery of plopping down the money for a Powermac right now, only to see them replaced next year with the MacTel systems, while I also think it might be better financially to wait and save. What I'm thinking, then, is only buying the 20' monitor right now, since it's what I can better afford at the moment and is also what I sorely need, what with the insufferably small screen I'm using now. A new monitor and an external firewire hard drive would do wonders and may be all I need for awhile.

But what I wonder about is whether, with the new MacTel machines, will Apple also introduce new monitors, making the current 20" somewhat obselete, even incompatible? Will Apple be introducing high defintion monitors, or what have you, specifically geared towards the MacTels?

Should I wait on both monitor and Powermac? Should I get the monitor now but not the system? Or should I just can the worry and buy both now, since computers are always changing and everyone wishes they'd waited?

It's just that I think the change to MacTel systems may be a significant enough change to seriously consider pausing this time and not buying anything but peripherals.

Thoughts?

havocidal
Oct 28, 2005, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bendyrabbit
I'm looking to upgrade my system to do video editing. Currently I have a 1 Ghz 12" Powerbook with 768 MB of RAM which I hope to eventually replace it with a Powermac and a 20" Apple Cinema monitor. However, I'm a bit leery of plopping down the money for a Powermac right now, only to see them replaced next year with the MacTel systems, while I also think it might be better financially to wait and save. What I'm thinking, then, is only buying the 20' monitor right now, since it's what I can better afford at the moment and is also what I sorely need, what with the insufferably small screen I'm using now. A new monitor and an external firewire hard drive would do wonders and may be all I need for awhile.

But what I wonder about is whether, with the new MacTel machines, will Apple also introduce new monitors, making the current 20" somewhat obselete, even incompatible? Will Apple be introducing high defintion monitors, or what have you, specifically geared towards the MacTels?

Should I wait on both monitor and Powermac? Should I get the monitor now but not the system? Or should I just can the worry and buy both now, since computers are always changing and everyone wishes they'd waited?

It's just that I think the change to MacTel systems may be a significant enough change to seriously consider pausing this time and not buying anything but peripherals.

Thoughts?

the intel chip will not make it into the powermacs that soon... until the end of the intel transition perhaps which is like end of 2007?... the first things to have intel chips will be those that have difficulty using the g5 chips like the powerbooks and ibooks...

havocidal
Oct 28, 2005, 11:26 PM

Thoughts?

the intel chip will not make it into the powermacs that soon... until the end of the intel transition perhaps which is like end of 2007?... the first things to have intel chips will be those that have difficulty using the g5 chips like the powerbooks and ibooks...

OreoCookie
Oct 29, 2005, 02:36 AM

Apple's Cinema Display (the aluminum ones) can be used with pcs, they use standard dvi connectors. So you will be able to use today's cinema displays with MacTels as well.

But obviously a screen you can buy in two years will be better and cheaper, that's the way in this business. If you need it now, buy it now. Period.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2005, 02:57 AM

The 20" supports the lower HD standard (720), so it's not going to go out of fashion too soon.
But for the price of the 20" ACD you can get a 24" HD LCD from Dell (with better specs in every measureable way).

Bendyrabbit  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2005, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
The 20" supports the lower HD standard (720), so it's not going to go out of fashion too soon.
But for the price of the 20" ACD you can get a 24" HD LCD from Dell (with better specs in every measureable way).
So you're saying that the 24" Dell is HD while the 20" Apple Cinema display is not? If that is the case, I might just buy the Dell. But why would Apple put out iMovie HD and Final Cut Express HD but not have a monitor that supports high defintion resulotion? Are they planning on bringing out a 20" HD monitor, do you think?

havocidal
Oct 29, 2005, 02:50 PM

So you're saying that the 24" Dell is HD while the 20" Apple Cinema display is not? If that is the case, I might just buy the Dell. But why would Apple put out iMovie HD and Final Cut Express HD but not have a monitor that supports high defintion resulotion? Are they planning on bringing out a 20" HD monitor, do you think?
depends on ur definition of high-definition
HD comes in different formats in 16:9 aspect ratio from 720p all the way to 1440p
but currently 1080 is the "new" high-def... some digital cinemas are using 1440p already which is 2560 x 1440... looks like only the 30" can view that

and if i'm nt wrong the an even higher resolution will be coming up in nxt-generation films and that is 2160p... do the math...that would be 3840 by 2160... WOAH

havocidal
Oct 29, 2005, 02:50 PM

if u consider 1080p as HD... there is ABSOLUTELY no way to have a 20" HD monitor cuz the resolution is at 1680 by 1050... unless u want apple to have the 20-inch monitor's native resolution changed to 1920 by 1200... ur eyes r gonna hurt....

720p looks gd enough on a 20" trust me on that...
( Last edited by havocidal; Oct 31, 2005 at 11:58 AM. Reason: double post)

Forum Links
Forum Rules