Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > crashes

crashes
i like macs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2001, 11:18 PM

just out of curiosity....how many times do your imacs crash every day...mine probaly crashes 1-3 times a day...im on it for a pretty png time though...is that bad or somethin...please just let me know ...thanks

holiday
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2001, 01:06 AM

How much RAM does the machine have to work with? What apps are you running. Which OS are you running? For me OS 9 crashed often. OS 9.0.4 used to crash a lot when I was running Microsoft apps. Actually OS 9.0.4 crashed almost as often as 9. OS 9.1 has been pretty stable, but it does crash on me every time I try a very specific cut and paste and font change maneuver from MS Word 2001 to Entourage, crashes every fuchin� time I try that maneuver.

smic
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2001, 01:50 AM

what are you guys doing to your imacs??
mine maybe crashes once a week, and i leave it on all the time
and the only crashes are when i know i did something to crash it, like launchin UT and force quitting it in the middle of bootin up, or some other dumbass thing like that(opening 5 gigs of mpgs at once while virus scanning)blah blah
but other then that i have no problems and i have a rev.c imac with 192MB

so my guess is you guys have some funky extension things going on
w3rd..
surrey represent

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2001, 03:05 AM

Originally posted by smic:
what are you guys doing to your imacs??
mine maybe crashes once a week, and i leave it on all the time
and the only crashes are when i know i did something to crash it, like launchin UT and force quitting it in the middle of bootin up, or some other dumbass thing like that(opening 5 gigs of mpgs at once while virus scanning)blah blah
but other then that i have no problems and i have a rev.c imac with 192MB

so my guess is you guys have some funky extension things going on
Agreed. They shouldn't be crashing that often. If it isn't lack of RAM or insufficient memory allocated to apps, or an extension conflict of some sort, maybe lack of upkeep? Do you guys rebuild your HD from time to time with DiskWarrior or TechTools Pro? Do you rebuild your desktop files? Do you defragment every now and then?

Or maybe you use M$ apps? That's the only time I crash, in fact, when I have some M$ thing running. Unfortunately, I like IE a lot, and Word is essential for my work
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Cipher13
Mar 22, 2001, 04:39 AM

With my 9.04, I crash once a month maybe. Little more.
With 9.1, once or twice a week.
9.1 is crap.
Go 9.04 - it is a rock. A fast one.

Cipher13

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2001, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
With my 9.04, I crash once a month maybe. Little more.
With 9.1, once or twice a week.
9.1 is crap.
Go 9.04 - it is a rock. A fast one.

Cipher13
I've noticed that 9.1 is not as stable as 8.6. Unfortunatly, I have to run it until I get OS X (my new G4 won't run with anything else).

The first week it crashed at least once a day. Although, I haven't had a crash for a few days, now.

Indigo Boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2001, 12:27 PM

i like macs: Are you by chance new to the world of Macs? The reason I ask is that I have seen recent Windows to Mac converts close windows in an application (rather than quitting the program) and assume that the program is no longer running. Then what happens is that they'll have several programs running in the background, taking up RAM, and this causes crashes.

More RAM would certainly help, but if I am correct in my guess, just being sure to quit programs you are not actively using at the moment may help as well.

Just my two cents.

MrWinther
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2001, 01:52 PM

Does anyone now what causes this? Suddenly I couldnt boot. It turned out that my system file in the system-folder had been corrupted. I could not open it(dubbel-click). Replaced it. It now works normal. 1-2 crashes every day. It crashes under boot. Macsbug tells me that it is gomac, but the file name in macsbug is like this: ~~~~##~~ ?
I have iMac rev b , 320 mb , os 8.6

------------------

criedel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2001, 08:21 AM

mine crashes every time, without fail, if I try to click on a link in an html formatted e-mail in Entourage. IE starts to open , then the whole system freezes... I love that kinda crap
Rennt um Euer Leben!

pete.z
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2001, 08:55 AM

The only crashes I sometimes have,is in IE5,when stumbling in to bad designed webpages(I love digging in to the deep dark sides of the www )
Os 9.1 is working very good for me,never had any trouble.
MOSTLY HARMLESS

http://www.macfreak.nl

Forum Links
Forum Rules