Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Downloads failing to expand when complete.

Downloads failing to expand when complete.
crooner
Senior User
Nov 8, 2005, 05:07 AM

Hope this is the right forum. Not sure if this is a Safari issue or an OS one, so...

For some unknown reason, all files, be they compressed or dmg files, fail to auto expand or mount upon download completion.

This began a couple of days ago.

I've trashed certain prefs and zapped PRAM to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help!

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

Lew
Senior User
Nov 8, 2005, 07:16 AM

Is "Open safe files on completed download" unchecked in Safari's prefs?

crooner  (op)
Senior User
Nov 10, 2005, 06:19 AM

bump

I really need some help, folks.

Anyone? Bueller... Bueller...?

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2005, 06:58 AM

clean install ?? haha. hmm, I have no idea why things are bad in your case. I think it might be just a Finder issue of some sorts. Perhaps you have fiddled with TinkerTool lately !? I think there's a setting of some sorts in there too that controls mounting.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

Lew
Senior User
Nov 10, 2005, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by crooner
bump

I really need some help, folks.

Anyone? Bueller... Bueller...?
Did you completely ignore my question or what?

crooner  (op)
Senior User
Nov 10, 2005, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lew
Did you completely ignore my question or what?
Whoa... Lew, chill, man.

I posted an answer to your question last night but it seems the forums being a bit wonky these days didn't catch it.

Anyhoo, I did check the Safari preferences. As a matter of fact, I launched Safari, UNCHECKED the "Open safe files on completed download" box, quit Safari, relaunched and did a test download. No auto expand/mount. I then RECHECKED the box and quit and relaunched. Downloading a file still did not mount or expand.

Gonna create a test user account and see if this is isolated to my account. Other than that, I think I'll try booting into Open Firmware and doing the whole "Reset blah blah blah" thing. Then there’s always reapplying the 10.4.3 Combo updater...

Will post my results.
If you can think of anything else, please post your ideas.

Thanks!

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 09:04 PM

Maybe Safari got paranoid and doesn't think anything's safe anymore! It sounds like you know all the things to try, so I'm not sure what else can be done.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

crooner  (op)
Senior User
Nov 12, 2005, 04:49 PM

Well, this one gets filed in the bizarro folder.

Update: Tested the problem on a bare bones account and Safari worked as it should, files expanding and mounting properly.

I logged back into my account and did the following:
I reapplied the 10.4.3 Combo update, did the Open Firmware resets, zapped PRAM again, ran Disk Utility, repaired permissions, cleaned all caches (including Safari's) all with no success.

Stepping things up a notch, I moved the entire contents of my user Preferences folder to a temp folder on my desktop and rebooted. Still no go! If this wasn't a preferences issue, what in the world was happening here?

I had one backup drive that I had not yet updated and as such it was still running 10.4.2. I tested Safari booted from this drive and things worked as they should. I freshly applied the 4.3 updater and the problem surfaced! AHA!... I thought to myself. It's a 10.4.3 thing!

I booted back to my normal startup drive and started poking around inside my home folder, trying desperately to figure out what the heck was going on. During this time I absentmindedly launched Safari to check these forums and a few other sites. One was versiontracker.com.
Without thinking I downloaded a file and IT AUTO EXPANDED AND MOUNTED AS A DISK IMAGE!

WTF?!?

It's still working. I'm thrilled that it's back to normal as this would have driven me slowly mad (okay, not slowly) but I kinda wish I had found what the cause was. Now I'll never know. Unless it happens again... which would suck. Let's hope it doesn’t.

Forum Links
Forum Rules