Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Harmoni

Harmoni
ctpeterson
Dec 13, 2001, 01:59 PM

Does anyone know if the Harmoni has shipped yet? Has anyone had any experiences with them? I did a search and all I found was info on what people were going to do with it. Does anyone have it?
Mac=Life
iMac 266 320MB OS 10.3
MacBook Core 2 Duo 10.4
http://petersoninidaho.blogspot.com

xyber233
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2001, 02:42 PM

It hasn't shipped yet.

tadashi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2001, 04:45 PM

Hello,

Originally posted by ctpeterson:
<STRONG>Does anyone know if the Harmoni has shipped yet?</STRONG>
It is planned to start shipping on 21 December, according to the following web page in Japanese:

http://www.yamakitsu.co.jp/cgi-bin/W...l?code=1004633

tadashi

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: tadashi ]

shmerek
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2001, 01:48 AM

It was exciting news when it was announced this summer but at this point... I dunno I definately wouldn't buy one, I rather save up and get a new machine.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 15, 2001, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by shmerek:
<STRONG>It was exciting news when it was announced this summer but at this point... I dunno I definately wouldn't buy one, I rather save up and get a new machine.</STRONG>
If you already own a rev.a-d and have added a larger hard drive, this upgrade makes good sense to me. beats trying to sell the thing to get money to go towards a new machine...

and hey, do you change your sig every day now? I liked "I am a Shmerek!"

Victor Marks
[email protected]
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2002, 01:26 AM

Anyone notice that Sonnet's web site now says 'Available Early Q1, 2002'?

Used to say Late Q4 2001 (but obviously we've missed that).

I wonder if a lot of people are still interested in this. Personally, I'm torn between this upgrade, or finding a nice, comfortable second home for my little Bondi friend and getting my hands on one of them fance new flat-panel machines.

I'll probably end up upgrading my Bondi and waiting for the next rev of the iMac, but we can dream, can't we?

andi*pandi
Jan 11, 2002, 12:20 PM

I've got one on order, and haven't heard. -sigh-

<zupcic>
Jan 11, 2002, 05:26 PM

the Sonnet Harmoni has shipped this week. I know of one company already pushing that they have it in stock at $271

<zupcic>
Jan 11, 2002, 05:30 PM

My apologies...Here is the link

&lt;http://www.macs4all.com/Merchant/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=T&Product_Code= ACSI-HAFW-G3-500&Category_Code=ACSi&gt;

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2002, 12:07 AM

OK - I'm pretty sure this has shipped now. buy.com is saying they have it in stock.

Anyone get one yet? How was the install? Does it have the slot for mezz cards (I have the formac SCSI/TV card)? Just wondering how easy/hard this will be...thanks for any info!

onefinger68
Banned
Jan 22, 2002, 02:53 AM

uh.... this is a daughter card replacement. The mezzanine connector is located on the lower side of the motherboard so they don't have anything to do with each other.

- Ca$h

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2002, 09:13 AM

Right....I'm talking about the replacement side panel where the ports are. My understanding is that this comes with a replacement panel with an extra 'hole' for the FireWire port. I know this won't affect the mezz slot electronically - my question is can I get to it easily, or will I have to mod the port panel?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 22, 2002, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by CreepDogg:
<STRONG>Right....I'm talking about the replacement side panel where the ports are. My understanding is that this comes with a replacement panel with an extra 'hole' for the FireWire port. I know this won't affect the mezz slot electronically - my question is can I get to it easily, or will I have to mod the port panel?</STRONG>
You'll probably have to cut a hole in the port panel.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2002, 09:09 AM

Now that this is shipping has anyone installed one? Does it work as stated? Was it worth it?

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2002, 02:52 PM

Hey Ca$h, if you get a Harmoni, can you post some game framerates? I am curious to see how much faster it runs than my 466mhz iMaxpowr. Thanx.

runningdog
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2002, 04:44 PM

Here are some images from my install of the Harmoni upgrade. It was easy, and fun, to install. i got a bit of a scare though when i first turned it on and got nothing but a glowing yellow power button: monitor off and the hard drive was not spinning. The instructions said that when first powering up that a tone would sound, the screen would not come on, and that a series of eight tones would play before it would restart again and then boot normally. Well i didn't get that. i looked through the instructions for troubleshooting help but there wasn't any. There was only one line that stated not to interfere with the first boot up sequence otherwise the "If this process is interrupted, your iMac may be left in a disabled condition that is very difficult to rememdy." i called tech support but they were not available for the weekend. After waiting for something to happen for a half hour i pulled the plug. i was going to open it up again and check for loose connections but i decided to plug it in again just to see what will happen.

It worked just liked the instructions said it would! So all is well. i love how much more responsive OSX is now. Before installing the card some software had to be installed while booted into OS9. After installation there were no extensions left behind. i don't have anything to try out the fireport yet. i'm very happy with the upgrade.

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2002, 08:36 PM

hrmmmm. it kinda looks like you can install it without the firewire port if you didn't want it. (why i don't know...)
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

Stoopid
Jan 28, 2002, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by runningdog:
<STRONG>Here are some images from my install of the Harmoni upgrade.</STRONG>
Thank you for that posting. I didn't really want a harmoni until I saw your pictures and how easy it looked.

Forum Links
Forum Rules