Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Microsoft is at it

Microsoft is at it
james9490
troll
Nov 10, 2005, 12:18 PM

Guys, I have a news for you. Microsoft has been working hard to make sure they stay where they are at - Complete market domination and Windows market stability. This is why I very much hesitate to make a switch for my wife. Microsoft will come upon you with full force and destroy all competitors. It's foolish not to go with the biggest and the most common.

I know you would label me as troll and just laugh at me for posting this, but, really, seriously, how are you going to address this?

=====================================

Ozzie memo shows Microsoft rolling with punches

9 nov 2005

A memo written by Microsoft Corp. Chief Technical Officer Ray Ozzie sheds more light on directions in which Microsoft already has been moving to ensure it doesn't miss the opportunity of the next generation of Web-based services, what industry analysts have dubbed "Web 2.0."

In recent months, Microsoft has showed that future versions of Windows and Office will support collaboration and personalized desktop services, based on a new business model that leverages ad sales and recurring services revenue, that have turned the company's most daunting rival Google Inc. into the darling of Wall Street. (Google's stock price closed at US$379.15 Wednesday.)

Rather than reflect a sea change for Microsoft, however, as some reports have said, Ozzie's memo, viewed by the IDG News Service Wednesday, merely reinforces strategic moves the company has been slowly unfolding for several months.

The memo, embedded in an Oct. 30 e-mail sent by Microsoft Chairman and Chief Software Architect Bill Gates to Microsoft executives and engineers, proves that the company, which has shown a reluctance to let go of its software legacy, is finally ready to take decisive action to adapt to current industry changes. It's something Microsoft has had to do all along in varying degrees, said Michael Gartenberg, vice president and research director with Jupiter Research.

"Microsoft withstood an awful lot," Gartenberg said. "First it was the Web, Internet applications [and] Netscape, then cell phones and Linux, and now it's Web 2.0. We've come full circle. Microsoft has already proven they can weather the storm, so you have to assume they're going to play in this game."

Gartenberg said that a popular misconception about the rivalry between Microsoft and Google is the idea that Google must fail in order for Microsoft to succeed. "That's not the way the world is working," he said.

Microsoft already has many of the tools to continue to grow even as Google guns for it, he said, but the software company is not moving quickly enough. Now Microsoft's challenge is to turn its successful software products into a seamless services platform, something Ozzie calls for in his memo.

For example, one of the key plans for the Microsoft Business Division, according to the memo, is to extend Office so it can easily connect up to other applications. Microsoft already has said it would make standard XML (Extensible Markup Language) the default file format for the next version of the productivity suite, code-named Office 12, a move that could make it easier for other applications to communicate with Office for the creation of services.

"What should we do to bring Office's classic COM-based publish-and-subscribe capabilities to a world where RSS and XML have become the de facto publish-and-subscribe mechanisms?" Ozzie questions in his memo in a section that describes the notion of "Connected Office."

Microsoft also has revealed plans to include RSS, or Really Simple Syndication, as a thread running through multiple applications in the next version of its operating system, Windows Vista. Vista is scheduled to be available at the end of next year.

Rather than simply steal a page out of Google's playbook and offer free, ad-based services like the ones Microsoft launched last week, Windows Live and Office Live, Microsoft is planning to use its existing software as a platform on which its massive developer community can build new services to offer customers, analysts said

"Ad-supported software for consumers and very small businesses is only the beginning," Charlene Li, a Forrester Research Inc. analyst, wrote in a research note released last week. "Microsoft's real aim is to build and host a service platform that will attract the investment of developers looking for a way to reach these market sectors."

Ozzie's memo reflects as much. He introduces the concept of a "seamless OS" that is designed for "today's multi-PC, multi-device, work anywhere, Web-based world."

He also wrote that the company must focus on enabling "seamless productivity" so customers can "create, find and organize documents and data among all the desktops, devices, servers and services to which you have access, and with all the others with whom you need to work, through 'shared space' products that are Internet service-based, enterprise server-based and directly peer-to-peer."

However, one thing Microsoft must do to sell developers on this vision is to overcome a perception within the Web 2.0 community that it is slow to innovate and is inflexible when it comes to what tools can be used to develop on its platform, Li wrote.

Indeed, one of the things that has posed a problem for Microsoft is the speed with which Google has been able to deliver Web-based services and derive revenue from them. Microsoft, being a much larger company with a legacy customer base, is not able to change gears or deliver new services as quickly as the smaller, more agile Google. However, this does not mean Microsoft will get left in the dust, Gartenberg said.

"A company like Microsoft takes longer to do things, but that doesn't mean Microsoft is asleep at the wheel any more than they were in 1996," he said.

Ozzie acknowledged in his memo that Microsoft must be more supportive of lightweight development technologies such as REST (Representational State Transfer) JavaScript and PHP (PHP Hypertext Preprocessor) that developers find easy to use for quickly building new applications.

Microsoft is not just getting its technology in line with its services vision. The company also is taking steps to make its licensing more compatible with a services model, analysts said. Microsoft has said that enterprise customers will need to buy its Software Assurance service along with Windows Vista, when it ships next year. This shows that Microsoft plans to drive a model where customers pay regularly for access to a network of software updates rather than a packaged product, analysts said.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2005, 12:23 PM

tooki had another spare minute. Classic(tm).

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2005, 01:05 PM

Except Microsoft and Apple are not competitors, and Microsoft sucks at producing a product that fits in with the direction computing is moving towards (e.g. Web 2.0, web services, using XML/AJAX, open file formats, etc.) They aren't out of the fire with Linux either. The large-scale migration to Linux seems inevitable as time wears on.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2005, 01:23 PM

IBL.

Coming soon to this thread !

-t

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 10, 2005, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777

tooki had another spare minute. Classic(tm).

-t
Huh? What?

tooki

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 10, 2005, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by james9490
Guys, I have a news for you. Microsoft has been working hard to make sure they stay where they are at - Complete market domination and Windows market stability. This is why I very much hesitate to make a switch for my wife. Microsoft will come upon you with full force and destroy all competitors. It's foolish not to go with the biggest and the most common.

I know you would label me as troll and just laugh at me for posting this, but, really, seriously, how are you going to address this?
OMG STOP THE PRESSES! Microsoft decides to keep developing? Incredible!

As for how we plan to "address this"... you do realize that Apple has stuff going on, too?

James9490: stop trolling or I'll stop it for you.

tooki

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 10, 2005, 01:34 PM

Actually, I just went back and reviewed James' track record. He has done exactly nothing but troll. I changed my mind, he's leaving now.

tooki

acadian
Senior User
Nov 10, 2005, 01:39 PM

So you delete both my and Turtle's posts in the process of banning him?
people ruin everything....

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 01:40 PM

Sweet!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2005, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
He has done exactly nothing but troll. I changed my mind, he's leaving now.

-t

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2005, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
Quoted for emphasis.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 01:53 PM

<<< but, really, seriously, how are you going to address this? >>

Doneinated...

Why should "WE" address it?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2005, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by james9490
I know you would label me as troll
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 10, 2005, 02:07 PM

Huh? What?
It was semi-seriously believed by some that James was in fact either you or Demonhood having a bit of fun

And thank you for finally getting enough of him and banning him. I've little doubt he'll be back to argue how close-minded we all are to ban someone who dares to Speak The Truth™, but I'm still glad to see those five little locks under his name.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2005, 02:18 PM

Has anybody seen my left slipper?

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 10, 2005, 02:22 PM

Rob pooped in it. So we had to throw it away.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2005, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Rob pooped in it. So we had to throw it away.

I see... nothing a little Ajax and Lysol wouldn't be able to deal with, those were $300 slippers that Tony Danza autographed! Can you get them back?

Hey, do you think you could make me a signature like yours? It's the least you can do for throwing out my slippers.

Thanks...

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2005, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Hey, do you think you could make me a signature like yours? It's the least you can do for throwing out my slippers.
Here you go. I made you one exactly like it.

Don't mention it.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2005, 02:39 PM

^^^ Hehehe

-t

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 10, 2005, 02:42 PM

The sig goes with an avatar I made for another forum. ;o)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2005, 02:48 PM

I wish I had time to sit down and come up with new signatures every week

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 03:14 PM

OMG STOP THE PRESSES! Microsoft decides to keep developing? Incredible!
More like "innovating."

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 10, 2005, 03:29 PM

I wish I had time to sit down and come up with new signatures every week
It takes 5 minutes tops. And I am not sure if anyone here comes up with new sigs every week.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2005, 03:30 PM

He also wrote that the company must focus on enabling "seamless productivity" so customers can "create, find and organize documents and data among all the desktops, devices, servers and services to which you have access, and with all the others with whom you need to work, through 'shared space' products that are Internet service-based, enterprise server-based and directly peer-to-peer.
He then added, "The afore mentioned will be true once we get 100% of all desktops, devices, servers, and services to which you have access, and with all the others with whom you need to work, running Windows. And only Windows. Nothing else. Ever." Ozzie then proceeded to help Ballmer throw chairs at people.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 10, 2005, 03:37 PM

And XML isn't going to replace PDF any time soon.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2005, 03:41 PM

And XML isn't going to replace PDF any time soon.
Apples/Oranges.

XML is not just another file format to pass around and consume like a Word or PDF doc. XML and related languages are the basics of the semantic web, which represents the idea of web services being able to communicate and interoperate with each other. *This* (whatever form it comes in) will dominate. Google is all over this.

PDF will still have its place as a complimentary, unrelated file format.

loki74
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 03:57 PM

he's leaving now.

tooki
tooki you just made my day!

man, those locks are beautiful!!

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Y3a
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 04:03 PM

I just found this on FOXNEWS.com.

First Sony BMG 'Rootkit' Virus Reported
Thursday, November 10, 2005

AMSTERDAM — A computer security firm said on Thursday it had discovered the first virus that uses music publisher Sony BMG's controversial CD copy-protection software to hide on PCs and wreak havoc.

Under a subject line containing the words "Photo approval," a hacker has mass-mailed the so-called Stinx-E Trojan virus to British e-mail addresses, said British anti-virus firm Sophos.

When recipients click on an attachment, they install malware, which may tear down the firewall and gives hackers access to a PC.

The malware hides by using software that is also hidden — software which is installed on Windows-based PCs when consumers play Sony BMG's copy-protected music CDs.

"This leaves Sony in a real tangle. It was already getting bad press about its copy-protection software, and this new hack exploit will make it even worse," said Sophos's Graham Cluley.

Sony BMG's spokesman, John McKay in New York, was not immediately available to comment.

Sony BMG, a joint venture between Tokyo-based Sony Corp. (SNE) and Gutersloh, Germany-based Bertelsmann AG, is distributing the copy-protection software on a range of recent music CDs by artists such as Celine Dion and Sarah McLachlan.

When the CD is played on a Windows personal computer, the software first installs itself and then limits the usage rights of a consumer. It only allows playback with Sony software.

The software sparked a class-action lawsuit against Sony BMG in California last week, claiming that Sony BMG had not informed consumers that it installs software directly into the "root" of their computer systems with rootkit software, which cloaks all associated files and is dangerous to remove.

Sophos said it would have a tool to disable the software later on Thursday.

The Sony BMG copy-protection software does not install itself on Macintosh computers or ordinary CD and DVD players.

Hmmm... yet another PC virus/problem. I'm glad Sony's stupid stuff is involved too!
So james9490 - did YOU get a Virus? I guess you won't even KNOW until Sophos sells you a tool to find out. That wait could ruin your PC. Should have a MAC or at least Linux.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2005, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
The Sony BMG copy-protection software does not install itself on Macintosh computers or ordinary CD and DVD players.

One more reason for Macs...

-t

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 10, 2005, 04:48 PM

Apples/Oranges.

XML is not just another file format to pass around and consume like a Word or PDF doc. XML and related languages are the basics of the semantic web, which represents the idea of web services being able to communicate and interoperate with each other. *This* (whatever form it comes in) will dominate. Google is all over this.

PDF will still have its place as a complimentary, unrelated file format.
I know this, you know this. But MS is saying XML will repalce PDF.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 04:52 PM

Pssssss... I hear Microsoft is trying to maintain their market share. Pass it along.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2005, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
Pssssss... I hear Microsoft is trying to maintain their market share. Pass it along.
I hear grow is the new maintain.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 10, 2005, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
I just found this on FOXNEWS.com.
Hint: You could also have found it in no less than two threads on the front page of these very forums. That would also have spared you having anything to do with Fox 'News'.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 10, 2005, 04:58 PM

Not everyone is a Foxnews hating zealot.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 10, 2005, 05:01 PM

Not everyone is a Foxnews hating zealot.
Quite right. I, for instance, am not a zealot by any means. I do have a strong dislike for what Fox claims to be unbiased news coverage, though.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 10, 2005, 05:03 PM

Oisín most news networks claim to be unbiased. None are.

Where is your agnst against the rest?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2005, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by ReggieX
I hear grow is the new maintain.
XTreme Growing. You have to keep up on the lingo.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2005, 05:14 PM

Or angst, even.

/Couldn't resist
//got nothin
///still waiting for a Fox News Babes pinup calendar
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Y3a
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 05:18 PM

I guess your 'strong dislike' was learned subliminally from the leftist garbage you watch?

As long as news organizations state opinions as fact and make no effort to get the stories right with the details in correct chronological order we have no news. Journalist is not a news reporter.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 10, 2005, 05:24 PM

Oisín most news networks claim to be unbiased. None are.
I don't think they do. Naturally, they don't sit around declaring loudly that they're only running this and that feature because it fits their political agenda, and that they've made sure to twist facts as much as they can to suit their own needs; and, naturally, I have limited access to American media over here, having no American TV channels. But from what limited experience I have with newsclips from various American TV channels, most of the other channels seem more ready to admit (albeit implicitly rather than explicitly) that they do have a political agenda, and that it naturally colours their choice and handling of news events, though they still try to report as unbiassedly as possible. Fox seemed to be more in the category of explicitly denying any political agenda and claim to serve 100% unbiassed news coverage.

Anyway, this is derailing the thread, and as I said, I don't have any extensive access to American TV news; so I might well be (at least partially) wrong about the other networks. I still dislike Fox just that extra bit, though.

Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 10, 2005, 05:29 PM

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 10, 2005, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
I guess your 'strong dislike' was learned subliminally from the leftist garbage you watch?
The fact that I said I disliked Fox' news coverage makes you immediately conclude that I watch 'leftist garbage'? Well, you're most likely wrong, since I don't watch the news much at all, and lack any interest in politics whatsoever, to the point of not even really being sure which is the left and which is the right. But fair enough.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 10, 2005, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by acadian
So you delete both my and Turtle's posts in the process of banning him?
Your post was insulting. You could have made your point without making it homophobic. So I deleted it.

I deleted Turtle's response because it no longer had anything to refer to.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules