Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Impending Intel switch: what's your AAPL portfolio strategy?

Impending Intel switch: what's your AAPL portfolio strategy?
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 08:56 PM

Do you expect a good valuation of your APPL shares?

I see three factors that could push this plane up.
1. Price/Performance of the first Intel Macs. I won't make any bets on this, because I am THAT conservative. However, there's a chance that the new Macs will attract a critical amount of Windows users.
2. Windows boot. A big must for engineers/scientists/professionals. Personally, I have big hopes in this (for my own benefit actually).
2. Agressive marketing campaign. Many won't agree with me, but the Dell-type commercials are more appealing than the subtle/cliquey batch of Apple commercials.

Are you waiting until the CPU switch, or are you investing now?

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2005, 10:15 PM

just letting you know, i think the symbol for apple computer is AAPL.
iamwhor3hay

miacomet
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2005, 10:17 PM

Seems like Apple stock is pretty high right now. I say the Intel advantage is already built into the apple price.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by MrForgetable
just letting you know, i think the symbol for apple computer is AAPL.
Correct.®

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 10:27 PM

Proud of you.® MoS ;-)

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Proud of you.® MoS ;-)
Yes! That was awesome...

Thank you.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2005, 11:43 PM

How is becoming just like all the other crappy computers out there going to boost Aapl's stock price? I think the iPod is what is driving the price up!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2005, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by mrtew
How is becoming just like all the other crappy computers out there going to boost Aapl's stock price? I think the iPod is what is driving the price up!
But the similarity begins AND ENDS with the Intel chip. The rest of the package will be purely Macintosh. i.e. no cookie cutter motherboards/chipsets in them!

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Nov 16, 2005, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather
Do you expect a good valuation of your APPL shares?

2. Windows boot. A big must for engineers/scientists/professionals.
This is rubbish.
I am a scientist (physics) and neither me nor any of my colleagues uses windows. Science is unix/linux only since ever and macs with OS X is the best that could ever happen to scientists.

I asked this question several times: How professional can you call an operating system that does not come with a backup strategie or needs an it department to organize backups? Compare windows with macs simple disk utility/ccc possibilities. Windows lacks a solution since 25 years.

But I agree that more private users might switch. Companies will not because they simply look at the hardware price. If you want to use windows it is useless to buy a mac. Dual boot sucks. But the stock might rise after the switch because analysts and investors don't understand the real reasons.

The reason for apples high value is the iPod and the itunes music store, not the mac. The intel switch has no effect here but might give reasons for a short rise only because of hype or expectations. Apple gets a stronger partner. Analysts admire that.

So my strategy is. Buy now or keep your shares.
( Last edited by I was David B.; Nov 16, 2005 at 06:24 AM. )

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2005, 06:51 AM

Are you saying that all your scientific hardware and software is OSX compatible? If so, I am impressed at your luck. Most of the time, 95% of the tools for engineers and professionals (and perhaps science) are Windows only, and neglecting to use them would be... unprofessional.
Why limit your arsenal? Dual boot sucks, but no Windows sucks even more.
(I am just advocating the need of both platforms for the trades mentioned above)

kingjules
Nov 16, 2005, 10:23 AM

agreed. the impact of the Intel switch is not in action yet. we all know that with 6 millions ipod sold and 500,000,000 songs and more sold in iTunes drives the price higher. the good results shown last month if you look closely is because of these high sales.
my view is that the rise will come, as I was David B. , said after the switch and then the share will go either up or down when analyst will look at the first results
Eat More Fruit, Buy Apple

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Nov 16, 2005, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather
Are you saying that all your scientific hardware and software is OSX compatible?
No, not everything we use is OS X compatible.
But most things are not windows compatible either. In physics I 've seen people using windows only for paper writing. But even this is not the best choice because most journals use tex templates.

Basically most scientific software for physics runs on unix or linux. A lot is being recompiled for OS X. In my day to day work I can do everything with my powerbook. If not, I need linux and not windows.

For physics I would guess a unix platform plus M$ office does it all. If you really want, you don't need windows. For engineers it might be different. Autocad for example is not mac compatible. IC design programs are also only available for windows.

But thats not what I wanted to say. I think if you make a os choice you will stick to this choice. That means if you need windows it is pointless to buy expensive apple hardware. If you need linux the same is true. So I guess people who work with osx will remain the only ones who buy macs. Except maybe a few who like to experiment but want to be sure that they are free to run windows if osx does not do it for them.

But apple should be very careful to make sure that os x does not run on cheap boxes or their stock will drown like a lead duck.
( Last edited by I was David B.; Nov 16, 2005 at 12:00 PM. )

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2005, 12:28 PM

Honestly, if Apple hits 65.00 a share, i'm selling. I can't see it going a lot higher than where it's at right now. That said, I bought it over 10 years ago at about 5.00 a share, and the split was very good to me

Forum Links
Forum Rules