Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMac hypotheticals, post 'em!

New iMac hypotheticals, post 'em!
moss514
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2001, 05:20 PM

Anyone have an idea on what the new iMac is going to look like? Lets see some ideas!
My pants are fancier than yours!

Jan Van Boghout
Dec 27, 2001, 06:16 PM

Cool , sleek and elegant , of course !

ibr80
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2001, 09:32 PM

Im dying to see this thing because they say it will a flat screen, witch leads me to believe that it will be a flat panel but a rather thicks one with everthing built in to it. As if you took a laptop closed it and stood it up type thing. cant wait!!

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2001, 09:33 PM

and a nice glossy finnish and probabl the use of chrome.

Also i think apple will be going for nice sophistaced colours.
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

xyber233
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2001, 10:22 PM

I sure hope they bring bondi back!

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2001, 10:30 PM

I think the LCD iMac, when viewed directly from the front, will look exactly like the current iMac (except the screen will look flatter), but when you look at it from the side, it will be much thinner.
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2001, 10:33 PM

I think it will look like the 15" LCD monitor but just a bit thicker.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 27, 2001, 11:19 PM

I really really wish I had caught this earlier-

People, we have four other topics on iMac predictions! USE EM!
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

ibr80
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2001, 08:55 PM

Hey! does anyone think this is a posibility...
a flat screen very similar to the ones apple is selling now, you know; the 15" 17" and 22". And then on the side maybe something similar to the cube. Think about it if you sold the cube back then at a cheaper price it would sell like crazy. Now why does gateway have to be the only one selling a flat screen and the cpu at the same time. Now Im not saying it has to be cube but something nice and elegant maybe even a nice shinny apple made out of the same material as the airport and iBook.. just think that would be nice. Of course I really thinks its going to be a thicks flat screen but I would love to see something like I just wrote done.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2001, 09:07 PM

Somehow, they're going to make a Gateway Profile-like iMac with a flat panel that blows away the competition in every aspect of style.

I am hoping for translucent plastic in a design scheme similar to their ADC displays.

Jonathan Ives has to work a miracle for this one to work. As hard as I try to Photoshop it, it comes out looking funky. My hand drawings are a bit better, but I can never iterate the full beauty of the image stuck in my head.

One thing I hope we lose is the different colors. Different colors would only clutter the product line. While they were a novelty and did help sales at the beginning, personalizing your computer is not exactly the rage right now. Crystal would be the only color offered in an Apple display-like design.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2001, 10:23 PM

Do you think the new iMacs will be fruity? I haven really thought of it. But if they do make it like the ADC displays, there is no need for color.

Jan Van Boghout
Dec 29, 2001, 09:28 AM

I know one thing 100% sure : there will not be an apple logo on the front .

ibr80
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2001, 06:30 PM

Xiber!! Im with you I hope thy go with clear crystal type design but I wouldnt mind if they tried some metal look type material on it. OH! it better have a nice shinny apple logo on the front like the airport but smaller.

lee vieira
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2001, 10:50 AM

Assuming it happens at all... :

$799 - CRT iMac, same as current $799 model with minor spec bumps

$999 - CRT iMac, CDRW, same as current $999 model with minor spec bumps

$1299- 15" LCD iMac, combo drive, 32MB nVidia GeForce 2mx gfx, cpu in 700MHz range (G3 or low-cost G4? only Steve knows for sure).

$1499-1599 - as above, with HD/ RAM/ CPU spec bumps. Won't ship in January, due to waiting on faster cpus (will it hit 1GHz? only Steve knows for sure)

That's what I think/hope... but I haven't been following events as closely as I was for MWNY 2K1, so my chances of being in error are higher.

It is also very possible that Steve'll wait until MW Tokyo to announce (due to cpu considerations), leaving us all to rant/rave/panic needlessly right after MWSF =(

Won't bother debating said predictions... that got waaaay too long and involved last time around, even though the 'I told you so' speech I gave afterwards was fun.

--lee

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: lee vieira ]

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2001, 07:03 PM

I predict a fat-bottomed rounded rectangular prism. The back is exposed metal, a large radiating surgace for the hot processor and HD. Overall color schemes will be brushed metal and mirror-bright metal protected from fingerprints by clear plastic.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2001, 08:05 PM

I predict that it will have rocket engines on each side, with a warning label which says, "Getting too close to the intake may result in personal injury and death!"
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

lee vieira
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2001, 01:57 AM

Originally posted by KarlG:
<STRONG>I predict that it will have rocket engines on each side, with a warning label which says, "Getting too close to the intake may result in personal injury and death!"</STRONG>
That would be incalculably cool

--lee

xyber233
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2001, 01:08 PM

Hehe, if they kept the same design, wouldn't the iMac get hot with the rocket engines because it lacks a fan ?

nahaliel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2001, 01:15 PM

with the way apple is hyping this show (www.apple.com) i dont think wild speculation of g4 imac lcd and g5 towers are too far off... perhaps a CRT G4 and an LCD G3? That'd balance the price a little bit, confuse customers though..
Don't Mess With Texas

BobK
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2001, 01:35 PM

I think it will run the MAC OS.

crystalthunder
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2001, 01:48 PM

Good call.
15" PowerBook G4 1.5 GHZ w/ 128MB VRAM
512MB DDR SDRAM 1 SODIMM
80GB 5400 RPM HD
Mac OS X 10.3.4

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2001, 01:50 PM

ladies and gentlemen,
prepare to be assimilated.....
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

MacAgent
Senior User
Dec 31, 2001, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by BobK:
<STRONG>I think it will run the MAC OS.</STRONG>
More likely it will run the Mac OS.

trinity3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2002, 03:20 AM

I'd like to go on record with a somewhat different guess � the new iMac will be LCD-based but only because it will be bundled by default with the 15" Studio Display. The iMac itself will have a form factor that permits it to stand alone and be connected to any display with VGA or ADC connectors... But the form factor will also allow it to attach almost seemlessly to any of the Apple LCD displays, forming a unique whole.

To do this, the iMac would have to be somewhat wide and tall, but thin. DVD slot drive on top like the cube, though positioned to be easily accessible at the top of the monitor. A tripod of sorts would have to descend around the Studio Display base to add stability and allow the computer to stand alone.

This design could, if the parts are affordable, create an iMac that's $500-600. Bundled with a Studio Display, it'd total about $1100-1200.

That's my guess, anyhow. Guessing it'd still be G3-based.

lee vieira
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2002, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by trinity3:
<STRONG>I'd like to go on record with a somewhat different guess � the new iMac will be LCD-based but only because it will be bundled by default with the 15" Studio Display. The iMac itself will have a form factor that permits it to stand alone and be connected to any display with VGA or ADC connectors... But the form factor will also allow it to attach almost seemlessly to any of the Apple LCD displays, forming a unique whole.

To do this, the iMac would have to be somewhat wide and tall, but thin. DVD slot drive on top like the cube, though positioned to be easily accessible at the top of the monitor. A tripod of sorts would have to descend around the Studio Display base to add stability and allow the computer to stand alone.

This design could, if the parts are affordable, create an iMac that's $500-600. Bundled with a Studio Display, it'd total about $1100-1200.

That's my guess, anyhow. Guessing it'd still be G3-based.</STRONG>

That is actually a pretty brilliant and novel idea, albeit one that's been floated before...the 'headless iMac'.

But it's a good one. It'd also encourage Wintel crossover sales, since they already have a monitor. So switching would be cheap

The only problem is that such an iMac would look a bit lackluster with CRT monitors, but certainly no more so than your avg peecee.

I hope something like that happens, but it seems like its going to be a more conventional LCD all-in-one. We shall see.

--lee

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: lee vieira ]

dividend
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2002, 12:25 PM

just an idea - people have been talking about fusing imac and ibook - how about implementing the duo-idea once again....? a very small portable computer with only network and firewire, when connectd to the imac it gains everything else, such as DVD and so forth?

ibr80
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2002, 01:47 PM

TRINITY 3 Im with you if you look up on this post you see I have a similar take on this new iMac I think it will be a flat screen with something very cool looking on the side.

trinity3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2002, 02:39 PM

I know the headless iMac has been floated around since the introduction of the Cube... But my hope is that they take it beyond that, creating something that, when merged with their Cinema or Studio LCD displays, forms a seemless whole. When not connected to one of their own displays, the iMac itself will function like a micro-tower (albeit one with an oddly interesting shape).

With any luck, we'll all know soon enough

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2002, 03:16 PM

IBM Netvista X lloks pretty good to me ... don't have a good pict.
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2002, 03:48 PM

lol

Im all giddy!

-Owl

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: OwlBoy ]

JimiMac
Jan 2, 2002, 04:38 AM

"Say hello to iPad"

The revoutionary new Mac with Airport enabled, removable, LCD screen. Leave your hard drive on your desk, yet watch movies in bed! Need to work while your away from the desk? Just write on the screen, or plug in a USB keyboard or mouse to the new tablet style 15" LCD screen. You like things big? Upgrade to the 17" or 22". Running low on juice? Plug your screen into an AC outlet and keep on working! No moving parts in the tablet..everything is transmitted back and forth from the base via Airport!

VR6
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2002, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by JimiMac:
<STRONG>"Say hello to iPad"

The revoutionary new Mac with Airport enabled, removable, LCD screen. Leave your hard drive on your desk, yet watch movies in bed! Need to work while your away from the desk? Just write on the screen, or plug in a USB keyboard or mouse to the new tablet style 15" LCD screen. You like things big? Upgrade to the 17" or 22". Running low on juice? Plug your screen into an AC outlet and keep on working! No moving parts in the tablet..everything is transmitted back and forth from the base via Airport!</STRONG>
I love the idea, but of course you realize that wireless network bandwidth is not broad enough to leave your hard disk at your desk and receive all data through that network. Applications would take a long time to start and using apps like iMovie would be impossible. However, there's no reason you can't put the hard disk in the portable unit and you and therefore make your idea a reality.

Everyone in the family would want to have one of these and it would revolutionize home computing. The price would likely be too high for at least a couple of years though too.

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2002, 11:42 AM

Apple will release the iPad, as well as new monitiors and keyboards w/ firewire ports so that you can plug in your new firewire enabled Apple Digital Video/Still camera.

Skywalker
Jan 2, 2002, 02:18 PM

The bandwidth wouldn't be a problem for apps like iMovie etc because you're not transmitting app data, you're only transmitting screen data (RDP).

I think some product using Apple's old inkWell project and the airport connection will appear at this MWSF. And I'm betting it'll be an iMac with a detachable LCD screen as well.
iBook 600, 384MB RAM, 30GB HD
OS 10.1.4/9.2.2

frankenberry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2002, 02:43 PM

iPad == iDock?

saw a note on http://www.scripting.com about "iDock"... just a rumor, but it makes sense to me. I really want a portable 17" screen for home.

iMac with removable, dockable LCD screen... this is sounding likely.
Just be that way!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2002, 04:38 PM

FINE!!! Here it is...

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2002, 04:42 PM

opps, sorry here it is...

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: mitchell_pgh ]

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2002, 04:46 PM

Sorry - DP

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: mitchell_pgh ]

NeilCharter
Senior User
Jan 2, 2002, 05:46 PM

Gigawire has been recently floated around - this could provide the means for apple to make a monitor free from wires (at least while the battery lasts.

BTW anybody have any ideas how much power a 15 inch monitor takes?

If Apple are going to revamp the iMac, maybe they really are going to go whole hog.

A wireless portable screen that runs for 10 hours without recharging, that one can place onto a base containing the drives and CPU would be extremely sexy.

Would it also be possible to run multiple screens off one base - think of the educational benifits?

This type of thing would be revolutionary - not because it hasn't been done before but that Apple could feasible produce a product with advanced technology that would be marketed it as a consumer product.

Given that technology has improved such as gigawire, long-life batteries, energy conservation and costs have significantly dropped as for lcds, memory, wireless, maybe this type of thing is possible.

That's my bet anyway - we'll all find out soon enough!

Neil
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

<rmendis>
Jan 3, 2002, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by moss514:
<STRONG>Anyone have an idea on what the new iMac is going to look like? Lets see some ideas!</STRONG>
I think it will look like a morph between an iBook seated on its edges (you know like how the old iBook was advertised) and a 15" studio display.

This way they will be able to keep the machine cool: display on one side and power supply, drives + CPU on the other. It could use the cube speakers, external keyboard and mouse.

(Speakers are the one element of an all-in-one that i would consider removing from an all-in-one system. The speakers in my revB iBook SE got wasted only a couple of months after purchase)

It could also be given a handle so that it can be folded and carried away. i.e to make it more 'transportable' than the iMac.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2002, 03:17 AM

Originally posted by moss514:
<STRONG>Anyone have an idea on what the new iMac is going to look like? Lets see some ideas!</STRONG>
My humble comcept:

There is a link on this page

Any thoughts?

s

Group51
Senior User
Jan 5, 2002, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by mbperk:
<STRONG>Apple will release the iPad, as well as new monitiors and keyboards w/ firewire ports so that you can plug in your new firewire enabled Apple Digital Video/Still camera.</STRONG>
Hmm. This puts me in mind of something I saw in AppleDesign, the book of the IDG in the 80s. In '84, there was a concept called Jonathon. Essentially, it was an expandable horizontal rack to which you attached your PC components, a box for HD, another box for optical drive, another for expansion bays, another for CPU.

So, Apple would only need one design for their desktop line, and you'd buy the boxes you wanted to make a modular computer. I guess its a bit silly, but it would scale all the way from a little iMac to a huge workstation.

Whatever, I never get these things right anyway.

<SirMacGregor>
Jan 5, 2002, 07:20 PM

I'm agree with you but ...

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2002, 09:51 PM

A modular iMac....sounds intrseting...

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2002, 09:57 PM

Anybody remember that hoax from xtrem? the 1600 MHZ Mac that looked like a giant microphone? that's what it will be
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2002, 09:58 PM

I liked the two-monitor one better. SWEET!

Anyway, even if the new-gen machines do not come out yet, iMacs should still be upped to G4 processors. The limit of the G3 is being stretched too far.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Loco Engr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2002, 03:56 PM

AMac� 2002 Features
- Transportable Integrated Computer/Display
- A-Frame Style Structure and External Shape
- Tilting Flat Panel Display for 0 to 20� Viewing
- Multiple Screen Sizes 14" & 15" (bezel thk)
- Weighs &lt; 12 lbs for School/Home Relocation
- Easily Carried Like Suitcase with Stable Base
- Safe Rear Access to Swap/Upgrade Modules
- Natural Chimney Shape Cooling without Fans
- Optional Colored/Textured Side Panel Skins

Think PRACTICAL

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2002, 12:42 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules