Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook display & dimness

Powerbook display & dimness
Brian Live
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2005, 11:14 PM

I am considering dumping my Sony Vaio laptop in favor of a 15" Powerbook. I have noticed from looking at the screens in the Apple Store and Powerbooks that belong to friends of mine, that the display is a bit dim, even when the brightness is at the highest level. The Sony have a very bright screen (X-Bright I think they call it). Now I was curious if the dimness of the Powerbook is bothersome or noticeable in comparison to anyone who has switched from a similar display.

Thanks in advance.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2005, 11:43 PM

The term Sony uses for their screens is XBRITE. There are only a couple things I can think of that would bother you switching from XBRITE to non-XBRITE.

XBRITE screens all include 2 lamps for more uniform brightness, while the screens Apple uses have 1. Some folks on these forums have complained that the recent PowerBooks have a bright bar across the bottom (where the lamp is), and slight darkness in the corners of the screen.

That signature glossy coating. Some people love it, others loathe it. Personal preference thing.

From my own personal experience, XBRITE screens have wider viewing angles than non-XBRITE screens. Not only can you see the screen/colors from wider angles, but the brightness is more consistent when viewing off-center.

Brian Live  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2005, 03:55 AM

Thanks! I appreciate all the info.
-Brian

 PowerMac G5 | Dual 2GHz PPC | 2.5 GB RAM | 30" Cinema Display
 Macbook Pro | 2.2 GHz Core2Duo | 2 GB RAM

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2005, 04:38 AM

I wouldn't bother with XBRITE screens. They produce a huge amount of glare when used under fluorescent lighting, which makes them pretty much unusable.
MBP 1.83

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2005, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by mhuie
I wouldn't bother with XBRITE screens. They produce a huge amount of glare when used under fluorescent lighting, which makes them pretty much unusable.
Have you actually observed this? I've seen a number of posts suggesting that this will happen, but I've never noticed a difference in glare between XBRITE and non-XBRITE screens.

FWIW, Sony claims: XBRITE displays feature a special multi-layer anti-reflection coating on the screen surface. The coating reduces glare and ambient light reflection, reducing eye fatigue.

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2005, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Have you actually observed this? I've seen a number of posts suggesting that this will happen, but I've never noticed a difference in glare between XBRITE and non-XBRITE screens.

FWIW, Sony claims: XBRITE displays feature a special multi-layer anti-reflection coating on the screen surface. The coating reduces glare and ambient light reflection, reducing eye fatigue.
Yes, my girlfriend has a new FS series by Sony. Its unusable in the school library under the lighting unless you find a slightly covered desk. I also have tried it at work and with the same results. At home is it decent, because I don't have any fluorescent lights.
MBP 1.83

Mack
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2005, 04:04 PM

I have a Sony laptop with an XBRITE screen and a 15" PB. Both screens have advantages and disadvantages. The Sony screen is brighter and more uniform but glare is a serious problem. The PB is a bit darker and less uniform but performs well all around. On balance, I probably prefer the brighter XBRITE screen -- but not enough to offset the other advantages of the PB (OS X, fewer security hassles, better overall build quality, slot-loading DVD/CD drive instead of the cheap "Please Break Me" cupholder on the Sony, etc.) More often than not, when it's time to hit the road, my PB is in my bag while my Sony sits on the shelf.

Forum Links
Forum Rules