Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > Educational Surplus

Educational Surplus
atunnell
Mar 20, 2001, 09:03 PM

If you are looking for any used older Mac's, such as 6xxx, 7xxx 8xxx series, and Laserwriter printers, as well as alot of other computers and gear, many Colleges and University's have surplus Auctions where you can find great deas. Futhermore anyone in Virginia should check out UVA and Virginia Tech's auctions, always alot of used mac's going up here at Tech. Just a FYI, I dont work for the university, just go to school here.

------------------
--------------------------------
Aaron Tunnell
Virginia Tech
Techology Education
Cube.640.40.GF2.15"
ibook indigo 320.Air
Imac rev. D 192.6

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2001, 10:51 AM

I'm having real difficulties in locating these auctions and warehouses.

I know the University of Michigan has a warehouse http://www.umich.edu/~ofa/PropDisp/index.html , but that's really the only one I know of.

Perhaps we could create a list of web sites for these auctions and such?

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 21, 2001, 09:00 PM

Sending thread to Buy/Sell forum

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

atunnell  (op)
Mar 22, 2001, 12:03 AM

For those of you in south west Virginia, here is a link to the Virginia Tech surplus auction site. They always have alot of used Mac's, some older, some newer. Some printers, many PC's and jus about anything else you can think of that a College would get rid of at its end of life.
http://www.purch.vt.edu/html.docs/surplus.html

Here is the sae site for UVA, I havent been to UVA's auction, but I hear its good, but cant comment about Mac's there.
http://anstuf.admin.virginia.edu/Surplus/

Good luck!

------------------
Aaron Tunnell
Virginia Tech
Techology Education
Cube.640.40.GF2.15"
ibook indigo 320.Air
Imac rev. D 192.6

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2001, 11:43 AM

Those of you in Central Iowa, Iowa State University has surplus Macs ranging from $1 to $800. They have Macs of all kinds at the Purchasing Warehouse.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2001, 02:38 PM

at the college I grad'ed from they just came out with this upgrade policy...basically they'll buy a new machine for ANY traded in college legacy machine.... all the Classics and SE's and such that have been doorstops and aquariums are coming out of hiding... my old prof told me they got 20 G4 DP's in return for Classics and Quadras...

god, wish they'd do that at MY campus...

:ryan

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2001, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by CMYKid:
at the college I grad'ed from they just came out with this upgrade policy...basically they'll buy a new machine for ANY traded in college legacy machine.... all the Classics and SE's and such that have been doorstops and aquariums are coming out of hiding... my old prof told me they got 20 G4 DP's in return for Classics and Quadras...

god, wish they'd do that at MY campus...

:ryan
Could you get anymore information on that, are they still doing it. (Maybe some of us could work a deal with some of the students )

finboy
Mar 23, 2001, 07:02 PM

atunnell:
Thanks for bringing this up. I find stuff here in Columbia SC at the state surplus lot near the airport. It's available after sitting for two weeks, and you can sometimes get stuff at auctions, but then it's been picked over pretty well.

I used to go about once a month, whenever I had time. Some surplus depots are like that. One of the reasons I got into macs was because I could buy an SE to put on my desk for $5, and two more for spare parts.

thanks, too, for the tip on Va. since I'll be moving up there in August to take a job. I'll be about equidistant between UVA and VTech, so I know I'll be able to get my old mac fix satisfied.

I can highly recommend these types of sales if you can find them. A Quadra 650 is still a great machine for some purposes.

------------------
Shop smart, shop S-Mart! You got that!!?!!

CommonSense
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2001, 12:22 PM

Hmmm . . . anybody got any URLs or phone numbers, or other information, about any such auctions/sales in central or northern NJ? Or NYC, maybe? (That's my last choice, since I try to stay the hell away from the place as much as possible . . . it's bad enough I have to work in the Financial District -- and among a sea of "standardized PCs," at that). I'd imagine Slutgers, Princeton, etc. should have lots of stuff . . .

Er, I meant Rutgers above.

lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2001, 11:14 AM

Mark Ludwig is the supervisor of the Iowa State University Warehouse Sale and his email is [email protected]. Otherwise the Web site for the ISU Surplus sales can be found at this site

------------------
[This message has been edited by Gil Amelio (edited 07-09-1997).]
iBook G4-1.33/768 || B&W G3-450/640 || Beige G3-G4 450/352 || Beige G3-400/256 in Classic case || Beige G3-300/256 || PB 5300cs Pictureframe 100/24

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2001, 11:01 AM

bump!

Forum Links
Forum Rules