Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > I want to customise my GUI - What are the must have apps?

I want to customise my GUI - What are the must have apps?
trevorM
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2005, 05:51 PM

I am not too sure why the forum double posted for me, or why no text shows but:

I am just so blown away by all I have seen in the screen shots section that I gotta start customizing my computer a little - in particular the GUI.

What are the must have applications to get the ball rolling? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and too any hints and tips.

Thanks
Trevor!
Apple Powermac G5: Dual 1.85GHz | 80Gb System | 3Gb Ram | GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL | BT | Airport | Apple 30" Cinema HD Display Apple Powerbook AL G4: 12" | 1.5Ghz | 60b System | 1.25Gb Ram | Airport | BT Other: Airport Express | Airport Extreme | TiG4 PB 800Mhz | 20" iMac G5 w/ built in iSight | Swivel Screen iMac G4 800Mhz | iPod Mini | iPod Nano | Maxtor One Touch 250GB | Sony Ericsson T630

jdiddy
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2005, 06:32 PM

Shapeshifter for themes, Candybar for icons. You can get by on those 2 apps alone. Piadex also handles icons. Silk and Tinkertool will change fonts. For the most part the combonation of Shapeshifter and Candybar works great.

trevorM  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2005, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by jdiddy
Shapeshifter for themes, Candybar for icons. You can get by on those 2 apps alone. Piadex also handles icons. Silk and Tinkertool will change fonts. For the most part the combonation of Shapeshifter and Candybar works great.
Brilliant information. I had purchased Candybar ages ago (and have just updated it) and am now going to download Shapeshifter too.

Piadex looks handy too.
Apple Powermac G5: Dual 1.85GHz | 80Gb System | 3Gb Ram | GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL | BT | Airport | Apple 30" Cinema HD Display Apple Powerbook AL G4: 12" | 1.5Ghz | 60b System | 1.25Gb Ram | Airport | BT Other: Airport Express | Airport Extreme | TiG4 PB 800Mhz | 20" iMac G5 w/ built in iSight | Swivel Screen iMac G4 800Mhz | iPod Mini | iPod Nano | Maxtor One Touch 250GB | Sony Ericsson T630

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2005, 10:33 AM

just so you don't download the wrong app. the app's name is Pixadex. But I think you figured out that much.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

trevorM  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2005, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Fonzie
just so you don't download the wrong app. the app's name is Pixadex. But I think you figured out that much.
Yeah. Thanks for that. It was just a typo on my behalf. I got the app. Its good but already I can see one or two features I'd like added.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2005, 06:01 PM

^What might those features be in your humble opinion ?

Also I have one more app that you might want to try; MightyMouse from Unsanity, made by the same guy that makes ShapeShifter. It changes the mouse cursor. I have a few nice ones I can upload for you if you get that far.

trevorM  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2005, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Fonzie
^What might those features be in your humble opinion ?

Also I have one more app that you might want to try; MightyMouse from Unsanity, made by the same guy that makes ShapeShifter. It changes the mouse cursor. I have a few nice ones I can upload for you if you get that far.
Don't get me wrong, Pixadex is great and comes in handy, but I suppose I would like one or two relatively simple additions. I do compare the program to iPhoto so you'll see why I want these additional features.
- View icons like iPhotos "View by rolls" feature. This would be easy to do, make viewing icon collection a little easier as each import or set is divided from the others.
- Have 1 import which will import a folders contents no matter if it has folders of icons, icons, iContainers, Icon Dropper Packs and alike). This is handy when starting application for first time and you have folders and folders full of icons.

Thats for the MightyMouse suggestion. I tend to be standard when it comes to cursors but feel free to show off your selection, you might just change me.

Cheers
Trevor!

ambush
Banned
Dec 2, 2005, 08:00 PM

deskshade is cool too

http://www.macrabbit.com

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2005, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by jdiddy
Shapeshifter for themes, Candybar for icons.
Don't forget, you can use the latest ShapeShifter to modify your icons.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2005, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dale Sorel
Don't forget, you can use the latest ShapeShifter to modify your icons.
Yeah, you can. But you can only import finished CandyBar iContainers to ShapeShifter. CandyBar is good for changing individual icons aswell. Something you cannot do in ShapeShifter. Although you could use the Finder-but that's so L.A. Give in to the power of CandyBar.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2005, 11:18 AM

Don't forget Mighty Mouse, for your mouse pointers. Great program.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 4, 2005, 02:40 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules