Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Funny quake convention

Funny quake convention
SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 2, 2005, 02:03 AM

http://www.gamesfirst.com/articles/u.../02-03-98.html

Where's the 3D acceleration?

GLQuake is a supported mode of play according to PGL (Gamers Extreme) rules. So I pose the question: Why didn't any of the players use 3D acceleration? Rendition and Jazz Multimedia were sponsors of the event, and the Rendition chipset has a mini-GL driver available. Anyone have an answer? Maybe it's because the players feel more comfortable in non-accelerated mode...I have no idea.

SuvsareRetarded  (op)
Banned
Dec 2, 2005, 02:05 AM

Reptile beat Thresh in the Semi Finals. So Thresh made it through the losers bracket to meet Reptile again. But to be victorious he had to win two games against Reptile. In the finals of the losers bracket (against Unholy) there were some very interesting developments (this is where the irony I mentioned before come into being). Thresh, adorned in his new Microsoft hat, paused the game 3 times...maybe four. Why, you ask? Because the mouse from his new endorsement buddy Microsoft was skipping and not tracking correctly. Unholy graciously waited through the entire mess while Thresh's entourage frantically switched mice until all was well. There seem to have a limitless supply of them. Also ironically, Unholy's and Reptile's mice performed perfectly. They were both using Logitech...which sponsor the PGL....but Thresh abandoned the PGL sponsor and went for the dough. Actually, I think it was egg...all over his face. But hey, who's depositing the check...not me!

They randomly selected a deathmatch level...DM2. Hey nice pick guys. Probably the worst two player level among the six that come with Quake. No matter, they proved me right and played to an absolutely mind numbingly boring 5 to -1 game...Thresh being victorious. BUT, there were some boo's emitted during the match. Only people watching Thresh's point of view could see it, but he picked a nice dark corner and camped for about 3 minutes of the match while Reptile frantically search for him. More irony? One of the reasons Thresh claims he didn't officially make it into the final PGL cut was because people were hiding from him so he couldn't rack up frags. Okay, Thresh, whatever.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2005, 03:36 AM

Welcome to 1998...

Forum Links
Forum Rules