Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > So I Dropped My Powerbook

So I Dropped My Powerbook
Yeast
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2005, 07:14 PM

Everything was proceeding so smoothly...I had acquired my first new Apple since the days of the original Bondi iMac. My 12 inch PB was getting outright babied. I bought all the bells and whistles, 20 inch ACD, iCurve, wireless mouse, wireless keyboard, and a sleeve from SF bags.

Unfortunately, my sleeve did not hold up well from a 3 foot drop. Basically, the bottom right corner of my 12 inch 'Book is now pretty warped. The battery panel doesn't fit snugly and the side is kind of flaring out by the DVD.

Is there anything that can be done for this? All of the damage is confined to the side and bottom.

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2005, 07:29 PM

I've bent parts of aluminum PowerBooks before to correct dents, etc. It still wasn't perfect, but certainly better than before... Just do it slowly.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2005, 08:12 PM

I've seen a lot of dented PowerBook corners... I'm surprised they don't put something behind them (even just some molded plastic) to reduce the denting.
Try bending is back in to shape *slowly*.

Yeast  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2005, 11:30 PM

Hmmm bending it slowly. This could get interesting.

Does anyone know of any places that specialize in this sort of repair? I could see myself overpaying a bit to get it back into a reasonable state of repair.

benwhanlee
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2005, 03:43 AM

You could buy a 'bottom' and replace it.

pbfixit.com is a good place to start for projects like this. Probably won't be that cheap though.
15" Al PB 1.67, 15" Ti PB 667, Power Mac 400

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2005, 08:28 AM

Look for a parts powerbook on ebay. Sell what you don't use.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules