Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Desktop Folder created on external HD's

Desktop Folder created on external HD's
reemas
Senior User
Nov 24, 2005, 06:42 PM

I have two external HD's and for some reason, Tiger will randomly create a folder called "Desktop" on them. I usually delete it immediately, but it's getting bothersome.

Anyone know why this happens and how to prevent it? This has been an ongoing problem with a few systems and Panther and Tiger.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2005, 07:06 PM

Desktop DF? Desktop DB? Desktop Folder? Or is it really just Desktop? Either way, if the system wishes to persist in making it, just make it invisible by doing an mv command to place a . prefix or by using a utility.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Nov 24, 2005, 07:14 PM

It's literally a folder:

P
Nov 24, 2005, 07:20 PM

Sounds like something Classic/OS 9 does. Easiest way is probably just to hide it.

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Nov 28, 2005, 03:30 AM

is there an easier way than a utility to do this? any terminal commands or software with tiger? i get this message if i try to put a . in front:

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2005, 04:24 AM

If the files are being automatically created, renaming them would not be a way to do it. Take a look at MuchoFileInfo. I believe that's the program I used to use to make files invisible.

As for what's actually happening, I don't think it's Tiger doing it. At least, I've never had Mac OS X do that to me. Most likely it's some Classic app or bad Carbon port creating this folder. I'd take a look at what programs are common to the computers exhibiting this behavior.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Nov 28, 2005, 04:29 AM

strangely, it doesn't always create the folder. sometimes i can go days before it appears. as for common programs, just a few basic programs, like iLife, Final Cut, Office 2004, Photoshop, and some other programs common to many computers. classic is not installed.

if anyone knows what this is, please let me know. thanks to everyone!

rslifka
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2005, 06:29 PM

When you format the drive, did you have the "Install OS 9 Drivers" or whatever checked? If the previous poster is correct, this may be why.

I just installed an external drive last night and had the same thing happen. I removed it. Guess it could come back?

Rob

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2005, 06:42 PM

this happens to me as well, sometimes.
pretty random.
running 10.4.3, no os9 or classic installed (i even deleted the classic prefpane!)

i see this on my portable drive, sometimes when connected to another mac; less surprising there.

but the "permanent" drive getting a desktop folder is puzzling...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Dec 8, 2005, 09:35 PM

i just get it on my externals. hitachi, wd, and seagate. and on several macs from several users. definitely not an os 9 issue. but still unsure why this happens.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2005, 12:03 PM

Is it really in the way ? I say ignore it. It saves you alot of trouble.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

Forum Links
Forum Rules