Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Quark and OT fonts

Quark and OT fonts
THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2005, 05:51 PM

We're trying to move over to Opentype as our printhouse prefers them and they work so much nicer that the Type 1's we've been forced to use.

However, on the two machines I started moving over today, both have 514 in font book but only 50 or so show up in Quark. Tried deleting the prefs, restarting, fsck -fy ing, etc... but, it won't seem to rebuild the font database or even update it at all... What's the deal...

I know the first 256 glyphs are the only things Quark sees... but that would be fine, if it registered the other 400 fonts.

But why would it not be able to even see the 400 or so fonts that are active on the system?

Oh, and the font's show up in every other program... including Indesign (but we can't use that yet), so any ideas?

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2005, 06:47 PM

What version of Quark are you using and what OS? If you are using XPress 6.5, have you tried to download and install the free Linotype OpenType font package?

40 free fonts

If you can download these you can see if they work or not - they should. Quark does support OT roman glyphs as you know. It will have full OT support in QuarkXPress 7.

Strange that Quark can't see the OT fonts you want to add.. without much information I can only guess that the fonts that don't show up are corrupted. Some apps are more sensitive to that than others - for better or worse.

Hope you can solve this! My OT fonts work and load without issues in QXP 6.5 on Tiger.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2005, 11:40 PM

Of the 240 active fonts on my system, QuarkXPress 6.5 only sees a fraction of them as well. However, I think most of what it doesn't see are TrueType fonts, it looks to me like most of the active OpenType fonts are there. Also I confirmed just now (since I was curious) that my dfont files are available in Quark as well. I'm using Linotype's free FontExplorer X with the Quark "Xtension" installed.

The situation is the same at my college's Mac labs with Xpress 6.5 and Suitcase 11.

InDesign in both situations can see all the active fonts. Since both here and on campus have a very ragged collection of font files, I can't confirm anything more specifically. I just know that I've seen XPress not list many fonts that all other software has no problem with, weather or not it has a legitimate reason for behaving like that.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2005, 06:49 PM

At the Quark forum, someone posted this link... and said to use this program... I haven't yet, but will give it a try... I encourage others to try as well and post back results!

http://homepage.mac.com/mdouma46/fontfinagler/

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2005, 10:49 AM

Nope... Didn't work...

We are using the adobe type library, and it still doesn't work. I don't get it. All the fonts are valid.

Any other ideas?

Forum Links
Forum Rules