Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Worst Firefox question ever posted - I should be ashamed

Worst Firefox question ever posted - I should be ashamed
Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2005, 01:00 AM

Before I start, let me say that I am an idiot, and that I know very little about computers, especially Macs.

I downloaded Firefox, and it works great. Here is my situation. The Firefox icon is on the desktop, the Firefox 1.5.dmg file is in the Mac HD. I have the Firefox icon in the toolbar. I cannot figure out if the Firefox icon has to stay on the desktop? I cannot put it in the trash, it won't let me, says something about ejecting the disk? Can I move it?

Please forgive me. Thanks.

bkarlsen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2005, 01:04 AM

The DMG file is ejectable. Just go into your applications folder and make sure that you see the Firefox file in there. Than go ahead and drag the DMG file over the trash bin to get rid of it. And hey it wasnt that bad of a question.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2005, 01:05 AM

You are most likely running the FireFox app straight off of the disk image. This would cause the OS not to let you eject the disk image, because it contains an application that is currently running. To solve this:

1. Quit Firefox.

2. Drag the Firefox application from the disk image that's on the Desktop to your Applications folder.

3. Eject the disk image, and delete the .dmg file.

4. Launch Firefox from the Applications folder.

The background of the disk image's window contains a little illustration telling you what to do, showing what icon needs to be dragged to the Applications folder.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Heavy Fluid  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2005, 01:38 AM

CharlesS, thanks for your help. I finally got it. I only deleted FF once, and had to re-download it, but I think I got it figured out.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2005, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid
Before I start, let me say that I am an idiot, and that I know very little about computers, especially Macs.
Well… you are not an idiot. I know people that have no clue about computers. That doesn't make them idiots… they are not in computers, that is all… there is nothing wrong with it. I have no clue about a lot of things that are 'maybe' more important than computers. Don't worry about it… people over here is great and are going to help you.

gadster
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2005, 07:04 AM

Heavy,

think of a disk image as a virtual 'real' disk (like a floppy).
e-gads

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2005, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by gadster
Heavy,

think of a disk image as a virtual 'real' disk (like a floppy).
If you've ever use .ISO files on a PC, then you can think of a .dmg as being like one of those, except that you can double-click it to mount the contents like a CD. In fact, this isn't even far from the reality; .DMG and .ISO use the same format. The only difference is that .ISO "CDs" are formatted in the ISO-9600 CD format with some extensions, and .DMG "CDs" are formatted using the Mac's HFS+ format.

When you download a .DMG file, you're basically downloading the CD which your software would come on. You can even burn it straight onto a CD, and it'll work exactly the same way. That's why they've become so popular for distributing software over the Net.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

gadster
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2005, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
… you can double-click it to mount the contents ….
That is, it's a metaphor for having physically inserted (mounted) a disk (CD, DVD, floppy etc).

That's precisely why the icon on the desktop looks like a hella smooth external disk enclosure (someone should make one like that)!

Then you copy the app from the 'disk' to your Applications folder (normally).

Hope this helps. If you are new from windows, start thinking 'objects'.
e-gads

Heavy Fluid  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2005, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb
Well… you are not an idiot. I know people that have no clue about computers. That doesn't make them idiots… they are not in computers, that is all… there is nothing wrong with it. I have no clue about a lot of things that are 'maybe' more important than computers. Don't worry about it… people over here is great and are going to help you.
Angel,

Your statement is so true. The people over here have been absolutely wonderful, and have answered every single one of my questions, and have treated me with respect. I have limited knowledge of PC stuff, and this is my first Mac. I absolutely love it so far, but it has been a little bit of a challenge. I know I am not an idiot, but sometimes it feels like some of the basic stuff that I should know about, I just have no clue about. Oh well, with a little time, a little effort, I am sure that I will gain that knowledge.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2005, 06:24 PM

Installing applications on Mac OS X is unnecessarily confusing. Apple needs to make this much more userfriendly.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2005, 07:10 PM

By doing what? Making the user put with the installer BS every time they want to put a new program on their computer? No, I'll take drag-and-drop installs, thanks.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2005, 07:55 PM

I've seen so many people confused by disk images that I can't help but agree. Developers should move away from disk images, maybe towards .zips or something.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2005, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by wataru
I've seen so many people confused by disk images that I can't help but agree. Developers should move away from disk images, maybe towards .zips or something.
If a big window that says "DRAG THIS ICON INTO YOUR APPLICATIONS FOLDER" is too confusing, I don't think zips are going to help…
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2005, 08:48 PM

If there are instructions like that, then fine. But most .dmg-delivered software has no instructions at all. Just on my floor there are two people who, until I showed them what was wrong, had been running MSN Messenger from the disk image for months.

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2005, 10:42 PM

I switched to a Mac on 8/4/05 after nearly twenty years of PC use. I did the exact same thing you did. After a few downloads of various applications (Firefox, Camino, misc freeware, etc...) I finally figured out the "drag and drop" method for installing applications. Now I do it almost instinctively. This is a much easier method for doing this.

Enjoy your Mac experience. I have.
macforray

mikemako
Senior User
Dec 15, 2005, 04:40 PM

I agree. I know I'm gonna get in trouble for saying this, but this is one case where wizards are easier (for inexperienced users). I also think it's helpful when it asks if you want it to place its icon in the Dock.
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2005, 05:28 PM

I hate wizards. Anything but those. Please.

mikemako
Senior User
Dec 15, 2005, 06:12 PM

HAHA.. Yeah, I usually do as well.

...but for those friends of mine who learned computing on Windows and have upgraded to Mac it would make more sense. Many of them don't even know they can put application shortcuts in the Dock, and instead just launch them from the disk image like our friend in the first post. Their desktops are a mess, but luckily they have me to show them how to properly install an application. Unfortunately there are many people who are switching to Macs on their own and don't have a Mac-savvy friend who can show them the ropes.
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2005, 06:20 PM

What?! Don't you think it would be a great idea if every time you mounted a DMG to archive materials, store sensitive encrypted data, prepare a CD to burn, etc., it would pop up a little box that said "It looks like you're trying to install an application. Would you like me to help?"

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2005, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by mikemako
I agree. I know I'm gonna get in trouble for saying this, but this is one case where wizards are easier (for inexperienced users). I also think it's helpful when it asks if you want it to place its icon in the Dock.
Doing everything for the user has a smaller learning curve than any other option, yes. However, the learning curve that we have now is still pretty freakin' small and doesn't have the tradeoffs.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2005, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Doing everything for the user has a smaller learning curve than any other option, yes. However, the learning curve that we have now is still pretty freakin' small and doesn't have the tradeoffs.
The learning curve is pretty steep since there is no way for the user to discover how to properly install an application from a disk image. The system doesn't tell you, the printed user manual doesn't tell you, and the online help doesn't tell you. The background image
is the only thing that might tell you how to do it. And it might not be in your native language (since background images are not localizable) or it might use cryptic symbols (like the Camino disk image) or it might just be blank (often enough).
Originally Posted by CharlesS
What?! Don't you think it would be a great idea if every time you mounted a DMG to archive materials, store sensitive encrypted data, prepare a CD to burn, etc., it would pop up a little box that said "It looks like you're trying to install an application. Would you like me to help?"
Who said anything about every disk image? I said installing applications needs to be easier. The current disk image "mount and drag and drop and unmount and trash method" is too complicated. ZIP might be a good alternative, and the system supporting the user during installation ("wizard" if you want to call it like that) might be a good alternative as well. I didn't hear you whine about the Widget or screensaver installation wizards. So why not support the user in installing applications as well?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2005, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
I didn't hear you whine about the Widget or screensaver installation wizards.
You must not have been paying much attention. The Widget auto-installation without permission was an abomination.

If Apple were to augment this in some way, I would prefer for them to make it something that explains how to drag something to the Applications folder rather than doing it for you, since this makes it very intuitive that dragging to the Trash will be all that is necessary to uninstall it.

Who said anything about every disk image?
Well, how is the system supposed to know what DMGs are used for software installation and what are used for other purposes?
( Last edited by CharlesS; Dec 15, 2005 at 07:32 PM. )

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2005, 07:33 PM

You must not have been paying much attention. The Widget auto-installation without permission was an abomination.
It asks the user.
If Apple were to augment this in some way, I would prefer for them to make it something that explains how to drag something to the Applications folder rather than doing it for you.
I said the system needs to support the user. I didn't say "take away control from the user". Showing instructions would be better than what we have now, but having to show "mount, drag, drop, unmount, trash" just proves how ridiculous the process is actually.

I think distributing programs in ZIP-archives is probably the best (or more programs make use of internet-enabled disk images). Applications can run from the desktop just fine.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2005, 07:34 PM

Safari already warns you about downloading an application. It should ask you if you want to copy the app to your Applications folder then, too!

Forum Links
Forum Rules