Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Shopping for a color printer with a $1,000 budget

Shopping for a color printer with a $1,000 budget
birdman
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2005, 01:35 PM

I know there are scads of "which printer should I buy" threads already (I've searched), but I have pretty specific needs:

* color prints for proofing (i.e. will not be used for final product)
* hence, color accuracy would be nice
* 8.5x11 and 11x17
* Ethernet
* Mac AND Windows drivers
* less than $1,000 (that's the target my boss gave me)
* speed is not an issue
* monthly usage under 150 pages
* non-prohibitively-expensive ink/toner

I would prefer color laser, but I can't seem to find any under $1,000 that will do 11x17. Inkjet would easily fit the bill there, but laser is nice because it uses PostScript and (in my experience) is more accurate to what we'll be getting with offset-printed CMYK than an inkjet will be.

Any suggestions appreciated!

-birdman

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2005, 04:30 PM

I think the HP Designjet 30n at $800 is your best option from HP: prints up to 13" wide and supports Windows (95 through XP) and Mac (9x through X.3, hopefully works under Tiger). There is a $200 JetDirect card for it to get an ethernet port.

I doubt you'll find a decent color laser that can print 11" wide for under $1000.

For that volume, you could just go to Kinkos/other-local-print-shop.

birdman  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2005, 05:08 PM

Yeah, we go to a local printer for things we need printed in any quantity for "real" use (e.g. trade show posters, mailers). We only need one in-house for the design process. It's more convenient to be able to print out an ad I've designed and show it to several people rather than calling them all over to my desk to look at a PDF on the screen, plus I can keep a copy in a file folder for quick future reference.

I tried HP's printer selector on their website, and they also suggested the DesignJet 30n. As little as we'll use this, I don't think the cost of ink will be as much of a problem as my boss fears. He's used to dealing with our $64,000 color laser behemoth that the previous owner of the company was swindled into back in the '90s. (It doesn't work anymore, btw, and the parts to fix it cost $3,000, hence our new plan of buying a home-office-sized printer.)

-birdman

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2005, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by birdman
Yeah, we go to a local printer for things we need printed in any quantity for "real" use (e.g. trade show posters, mailers). We only need one in-house for the design process. It's more convenient to be able to print out an ad I've designed and show it to several people rather than calling them all over to my desk to look at a PDF on the screen, plus I can keep a copy in a file folder for quick future reference.

I tried HP's printer selector on their website, and they also suggested the DesignJet 30n. As little as we'll use this, I don't think the cost of ink will be as much of a problem as my boss fears. He's used to dealing with our $64,000 color laser behemoth that the previous owner of the company was swindled into back in the '90s. (It doesn't work anymore, btw, and the parts to fix it cost $3,000, hence our new plan of buying a home-office-sized printer.)

-birdman
The DJ30 is very frugal with ink. See here:http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16354866

Forum Links
Forum Rules