Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" PB1.67 Issue?

17" PB1.67 Issue?
CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2005, 04:53 PM

I just received my new 17" PB a few days ago. I recently noticed a hard drive noise that has me a little worried. When running a app etc it is fine, but when I stop working I hear a clunking noise coming from the drive. It reminds me of the older drives that clunked when they spun down. Anyone else notice this with their new machines?

asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 26, 2005, 06:17 PM

well i just got a 15" 1.67 pb and its quiet. the fan rarely comes on (i think it came on once, but i was doing a lot of things at the time) and i can only hear the hard drive work a little (1-3 seconds) after the pb wakes up from sleep mode.

you should call up apple care just in case. good luck.
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

CobraNT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2005, 06:19 PM

The drive is almost silent when starting etc. and the only time I notice it is when I stop doing something. It is like the heads are parking for a second. I have called the store I bought it from. If they haven't responded by tomorrow, I will call Applecare. Thanks.

osxisfun
Apr 26, 2005, 06:24 PM

have you checked your energy settings? maybe the HD is set to go to sleep too fast (if there is a setting for that)

CobraNT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2005, 08:03 PM

No, it isn't the energy settings. It does it within a second of stopping work. Sounds similar though, like the drive is going to sleep. That sorta powering down clack noise.

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2005, 08:48 PM

Is the sound really 'THAT' loud? i have a 17" 1.67 and it does that sometimes... but not often... i believe it is a powerdown feature that is meant to save on battery power and also it slows down so as to not create excess heat when you are on mains.

I guess it is only a problem if it is really loud and does it frequently enough to become a distracting problem. The best bet would be to take it into an apple service provider to have a look at it. But call apple tech directly first and they will book a job number for you and then tell you who to see.

cheers.
rob

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 11:00 PM

I've heard the fan in the 15" 1.67 I have, but the hard drive is really quiet (100GB)

BENJMNS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2006, 10:25 AM

my 120gb 17" hard drive makes an intermittent click noise... maybe every 30 seconds or so??? i'm wondering if this is normal. operation seems to be fine. it's brand new laptop.

it stops if i haven't touched the computer in a while. i can only hear it if the room is silent w/ little to no background noise.

CobraNT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2006, 09:12 PM

Yep. That is the exact noise / symptom. Last week the SMART system of my drive reported a failure. It was replaced today under warranty. The drive is a little louder than the other one, but it no longer makes the noise.

BENJMNS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2006, 11:35 PM

how do i find out about this failure? how do i run this SMART system test?

CobraNT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2006, 11:38 PM

Yes, it was very quiet and very predictable. I actually timed it and it would happen every time to the second. My original drive was a Seagate, and the one they replaced it with is a Hitachi. It must have been specific to the Seagate, as the new drive does not do it, but it noiser when reading / writing to the hard drive.

BENJMNS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2006, 11:54 PM

so how do i run that SMART test?? i thought hitachi didn't offer a 120gb model or did you get the 100gb drive?

christ
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2006, 04:20 PM

Applications : Utilities : DiskUtility

Click on the Disk (not the Volume/Partition) in the left margin, SMART Status is at the bottom of the window. It is also shown in System Profiler.

(My 120 Gb is a Seagate)
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

BENJMNS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2006, 04:37 PM

the disk utility checked out fine.

thx dude.

CobraNT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2006, 05:17 PM

I run a 3rd party app called SmartReporter. It stays in the Menu bar so it is always visable. Here is the link to the developer:
http://homepage.mac.com/julianmayer/

BENJMNS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2006, 08:37 PM

so cobra what kinda drive did you get? hitachi 100gb or 120gb? seagate?

turns out this noise is normal.

CobraNT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2006, 08:40 PM

I got a Hitachi 100gb.

BENJMNS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2006, 09:37 PM

how the heck did apple decide to swap out a 120gb to a 100gb?

CobraNT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2006, 12:37 AM

My drive was originally a 100gb from Apple. The early 1.67's came with a 100gb max I believe.

Forum Links
Forum Rules