Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Bill Gates gets the urge ...

Bill Gates gets the urge ...
raymond
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2006, 01:47 PM

Not sure if this has been posted before ...

CNNMoney has an article entitled, 'Gates unveils his Urge.' From the piece: 'Bill Gates aims to take over your living room and late Wednesday he unveiled a new music service and new software to do it. Using an appearance with Justin Timberlake, the Microsoft chairman debuted a new music service, Urge, to directly compete with the iTunes music store and interface. Urge launches with over 2 million tracks for purchase or as part of an all-you-can eat subscription, an option the iTunes music store doesn't have. The offering will include exclusive material from MTV.' Begin the living room wars we must.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2006, 05:04 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzz

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2006, 05:07 PM

for the time being it wont be a succes because about 83% of music players are ipods

JoshKurtz
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2006, 05:46 PM

Yeah, M$ will have to release their own music player to compete.
iMac 17" 2GHz Core2Duo | 1GB RAM | 160GB hdd | Superdrive | Tiger and XP Pro

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2006, 05:49 PM

a music player has to be cool and ms cant get cool right. Sony's new one is good but it aint no ipod

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2006, 06:13 PM

Why do we care?

raymond  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2006, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
Why do we care?
Did I ask you to care ?

I posted a bit of news, not an excuse for a bunch of people to jump on me for it, but because its news ... OK

As for 83% of music players being Ipods .. thats just crap. And anyway .. 99% of statistics are made up

Macola
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2006, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by raymond
As for 83% of music players being Ipods .. thats just crap. And anyway .. 99% of statistics are made up
Well, it was 82% last August, so 83% doesn't sound unreasonable. if anything, it's on the low side.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...d=a58iozj_2jXM
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Masters1337
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2006, 09:01 PM

at my school, I only know 2 people who have a non-ipod mp3 player. Pretty much everyone has an ipod.

crooner
Senior User
Jan 6, 2006, 07:03 AM

First off... I read that three out of every four people comprise 75% of the population.

Secondly, I don't dismiss this new about MS so quickly. If Apple doesn't play the very delicate game of taking over the living room right, this could be a problem. Do I think Apple will fumble? No, not really. Does this news about MS give pause. Sure. We can’t tale for granted the lead that the iPod gives Apple, and in extension, us (as Mac faithful). Apple must continue to play its cards just right and make as many allies in the entertainment industry as possible, and that ain't easy as the more powerful the person in showbiz, the bigger a dick they are.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

Forum Links
Forum Rules