Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 DC 2.0 quits...

G5 DC 2.0 quits...
Footy
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2005, 07:54 PM

Hey Guys,

Last night my DC 2.0 turned itself off about midnight. No warnings what so ever, it just quit. My first thought is the power supply unit. It's sort of like it went to sleep without warning but then wouldn't wake back up until I unplugged it for a couple minutes. Did it twice in a row, 2nd time after having been up again for about 30 minutes. FYI I never put my Macs to sleep and it's not set to.

Called Tech Support and was told to zap the PRAM and push the CUDA if that didn't work. Zapped the PRAM and it's been fine "so far" for that last 7 hours. I'm thinking these suggestions really aren't the fix to the issue and that it's just a matter of time at this point.

I don't know, I was ready to bring it to my local Apple Store but now seems fine. I'm guessing they wouldn't find anything anyway if it doesn't act up for them. Maybe I should consider Apple Care at this point though just in case.

PMG5DC2.0, 2 GIG ECC RAM, 6600 256, 10.4.3

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2005, 03:29 PM

Sounds like either faulty power or the power supply to me. Sorry 'bout that

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

zerostar
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2005, 11:10 PM

Monitor it and keep a log, if it keeps going on take it in for repair.

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 03:40 AM

Yeah I figured it was the Power Supply too. Brought it to the Apple Store on the 23rd and they ordered a new Power Supply. Should have it back mid week.

I was pretty surprised that the Power Supply is 700 watts. Fairly impressive.

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 01:20 AM

Over a week later and I'm still waiting for my Mac's power supply to be replaced by the Apple store. According to them the PSU is a bit hard to get right now? Anyway the part was supposedly in route as of 28th. I "might" have it back on Monday.

I also thought it was odd that when I called on Monday they said I was 6th in line, I called to check on Wednesday and that's when they told me the power supply was in route and that I was now 4th in line. So they're fixing one a day over there.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 09:37 AM

Happened to me a few times, and then it happened once and never woke up.

I got a full replacement from Apple (not a repair).
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2005, 03:28 PM

I did try that route but maybe because I had a BTO they didn't even suggest it. I don't have a problem with it as long as they get it fixed right. I did tell them I don't want one of the "chirping" power supplies.

Originally Posted by Amorya
Happened to me a few times, and then it happened once and never woke up.

I got a full replacement from Apple (not a repair).

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2006, 08:21 PM

Been 2 weeks now and Apple still hasn't fixed my new DC Power Mac. Maybe there's a power supply shortage.

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 04:40 AM

Got my Mac back today from Apple. Nice B-Day present for me!

I was told that the original 710 watt power supply was discontinued or something like that and they put in a 1KW power supply.

At any rate things seem fine.

Thank you Apple!

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Footy
I did try that route but maybe because I had a BTO they didn't even suggest it. I don't have a problem with it as long as they get it fixed right. I did tell them I don't want one of the "chirping" power supplies.
I had a BTO too. I demanded it. It is your right as a consumer!
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Forum Links
Forum Rules