Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How to wreck a Powerbook keyboard!

How to wreck a Powerbook keyboard!
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2006, 08:59 AM

Yesterday, I was reading a blog and found a post that said how qwerty keyboards were not very efficient and how the Dvorak layout was a lot better. It then gave a pictorial account on how to modify your Aluminium Powerbook to Dvorak layout. Ever the sucker I decided it made sense and that I'd give it a go. BIG mistake. HUGE mistake. The result of this experiment is that about seven keys have broken lugs and won't stay on the keyboard and the cheapest way to replace them is a new keyboard at $135

The worse thing is that I couldn't type much faster than about 20 wpm because I'm so used to the qwerty keyboard, so if you come across this or a similar article, don't give in to temptation.

nuggetman
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2006, 09:06 AM

1) find a broken powerbook on ebay. buy it cheap. use a guide from PBFixit to replace the keyboad (it's trivial really)

2) you aren't gonna reach 100wpm on a new keyboard layout overnight. you need to PRACTICE on it.

3) don't do stupid **** with your expensive equipment unless you're 100% sure you know what you're doing

365  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2006, 09:14 AM

1. I found a brand new keyboard on eBay for about $80 and it's a 12" PB so luckily it's a relatively straight forward job.

2. I realise that but for me the whole experience left me feeling very negative.

3. Wise words!

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2006, 09:26 AM

Reminds me of this thread.

365  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2006, 10:12 AM

Yeah, sometimes I'm about as bright as a 20w bulb

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2006, 05:50 PM

You could have used labels...

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 8, 2006, 09:13 PM

If you pulled the keys off properly, nothing should be un-fixable. Even if you pulled out the scissor mechanism, you should be able to carefully put it back in.

Why don't you take some photos and post links to them so we can see what's going on?

tooki

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2006, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by 365
Yesterday, I was reading a blog and found a post that said how qwerty keyboards were not very efficient and how the Dvorak layout was a lot better. It then gave a pictorial account on how to modify your Aluminium Powerbook to Dvorak layout. Ever the sucker I decided it made sense and that I'd give it a go. BIG mistake. HUGE mistake. The result of this experiment is that about seven keys have broken lugs and won't stay on the keyboard and the cheapest way to replace them is a new keyboard at $135

The worse thing is that I couldn't type much faster than about 20 wpm because I'm so used to the qwerty keyboard, so if you come across this or a similar article, don't give in to temptation.
First of all I am sorry to read of your problem ... but don't give up on Dvorak.
Maybe you should have used something called a 'CapsOff Computer Keyboard Cleaning Tool' made by Design Components, their contact details are below. I have successfully changed my 15" PB keyboard to the Dvorak layout using this particular tool. You can also find them at www.members.aol.com/capsoff/
Design Components
19671 Descartes
Foothill Ranch, CA 92610
(949) 830-6797
(949) 830-6799 Fax
(888) 222-0435 Toll Free
[email protected]
Available for $3.95 + .90 cents S/H
I apologise if the above advice sounds a bit like 'closing the stable door after the horse has bolted' .. but maybe next time ....
I am happy to say that for me the Dvorak layout works better than the Qwerty layout!
Good luck!

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Jan 10, 2006, 10:16 AM

Try to make some other Dvorak keyboards and then sell on eBay the Most Expensive Scrabble Game Ever!!!!!

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 06:50 PM

If this was your first time using Dvorak then I would've recommended you just used Mac OS X's keyboard layout first. In the event that you didn't like it, you could have easily switched back. ;-)

Another option, though it won't be as cheap, is to contact guys like MacResQ or TechRestore.

atFault
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2006, 07:35 PM

Despite your setback Dvorak layout is well worth the trouble. For anyone else reading this thread and thinking of trying it out I have a few comments.

Seriously consider the implications of changing your keyboard layout. While I am the one who usually uses my computer and keyboard others who don't know Dvorak use it occasionally. A quick switch in the input menu and they are good to go.

At work I share a computer with many people and switching keys or having my own keyboard is not an option. Memorizing the keyboard layout and setting my own default keyboard layout in Windows keeps me typing fast and does nothing to any other user. As a bonus, when I forget to log off my computer, most don't know how to switch keyboard layouts and can't do anything malicious with my account.

Not changing the layout means no broken keys. Although, personally, I do take them off to clean the keyboard occasionally.

To get a functional competency for the layout as quickly as possible I found an online typing tutorial and left my 'keyboard viewer palette' open to cheat whenever I needed to. It took me about 2 weeks to be comfortable, a month to be as fast as QWERTY, and a year to be significantly faster while eliminating finger/hand joint pain that I previously experienced from using QWERTY.

Good stuff all around. I will not go back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules