Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iWork 06 taking up more HD space?

iWork 06 taking up more HD space?
ryan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2006, 10:16 PM

Is it just me or does iWork 06 take up 2GB of hard drive space more than iWork 05?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2006, 10:37 PM

1. It's universal binary
2. More templates

Chris

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2006, 11:28 PM

2 GB more? That sounds a little much...in fact....more than just a little....

Doesn't sound right to me.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2006, 12:08 AM

shouldn't take nearly than much space.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2006, 12:37 PM

I'll tell you once I get my copy, sounds a bit crazy.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2006, 12:52 PM

helluva more themes, animated HD ones for iMovie, more sounds for GarageBand, etc. Could stack up to 2GB I would not be surprised.

By the way Universal binaries don't add that much of space anyway since the core code of a Mac app is not the whole deal, since you don't have to duplicate the resources, etc.

(EDIT: it's nice if I read correctly too, so I don't mistake iLife for iWork ... silly me)
( Last edited by eevyl; Jan 17, 2006 at 01:37 PM. )

jyunderwood
Jan 16, 2006, 03:01 PM

Some observations

Keynote.app takes up 1.01GB of space and the folder Themes within the package takes up 940.9MB

Pages.app takes up 853.6MB and the templates folder within English takes ups 189.7MB. If you delete the languages you don't use like Dutch and Japanese you can save about 600MB.

Also don't forget to delete your old iWork folder in apps because it doesn't install over the old versions like ilife does.
fluid like water.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 16, 2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by jyunderwood
Also don't forget to delete your old iWork folder in apps because it doesn't install over the old versions like ilife does.
What do you mean exactly? (I don't have iWork '06 yet.)

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2006, 08:56 PM

He means ’06 gets installed at "/Applications/iWork ’06", leaving the old "/Applications/iWork" in place. The trial installer does this too, but I figured that was because it was a trial and Apple was considerate enough not to leave ’05 users high and dry if they didn't want the newer version.

But it seems they do it with the full install as well (makes sense, since it probably installs the exact same items).

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2006, 10:21 PM

I checked and it appears iWork 05 takes up 350 +/- on my PB. Is that correct? If so, I better keep cleaning off my hard drive. I knew that 20 gig HD would bite me sooner or later...

jyunderwood
Jan 16, 2006, 11:18 PM

kcmac. you got out light. My iwork 05 install took up about 600MB.

If space is valuable and you don't use but one or two languages you can delete all the others from all your apps using delocalizer.

http://www.bombich.com/software/local.html

it's not "supported" with panther or tiger but it works and I use it on my iBook to save space. I keep English and French on my computer and after deleting all the other languages in about 70 items in my Applications folder I saved about a 500MB.
fluid like water.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by jyunderwood
kcmac. you got out light. My iwork 05 install took up about 600MB.

If space is valuable and you don't use but one or two languages you can delete all the others from all your apps using delocalizer.

http://www.bombich.com/software/local.html

it's not "supported" with panther or tiger but it works and I use it on my iBook to save space. I keep English and French on my computer and after deleting all the other languages in about 70 items in my Applications folder I saved about a 500MB.
Yep. Delocalizer is a great app that I have used for quite awhile. Takes a really long time to clean things up now but it still does the job. I could have missed a few files doing my addition. I'm just really surprised at the size. I may even evaluate eliminating some of the templates if I really get concerned about space. I pretty much make my own anyway.

Guess I will find out in a few hours how much it puts on my PB. UPS delivery sometime today. I'll be wearing that widget out keeping track of it.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 04:31 AM

If you delete the extra languages from iWork '06 (you can do this from the Get Info window), Keynote still takes up about 1GB but Pages went down to 265MB, a lot smaller.

Also don't forget the iWork Tour.app in /Library/Application Support/iWork '06. This went from a couple hundred MB to just under 30MB when deleting the extra languages. Also the old Tour doesn't get replaced by the '06 installer (just like the applications don't), so deleting that can save some space.

This is also a good idea fro the iLife apps!
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2006, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by eevyl
helluva more themes, animated HD ones for iMovie, more sounds for GarageBand, etc. Could stack up to 2GB I would not be surprised.

By the way Universal binaries don't add that much of space anyway since the core code of a Mac app is not the whole deal, since you don't have to duplicate the resources, etc.

iWork not iLife!

threestain
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 10:40 AM

if you get macaroni (on vt etc) its got an option to periodically cleanse all the apps of languages you don't use - very handy - in one week, since the last run, I've amassed 60MB of useless rubbish!

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2006, 11:26 AM

There should be an option in the built in Apple installer where you can choose the languages that get installed along with an app. There is no way most people will need 'all' the languages.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Apfhex
If you delete the extra languages from iWork '06 (you can do this from the Get Info window), Keynote still takes up about 1GB but Pages went down to 265MB, a lot smaller.

Also don't forget the iWork Tour.app in /Library/Application Support/iWork '06. This went from a couple hundred MB to just under 30MB when deleting the extra languages. Also the old Tour doesn't get replaced by the '06 installer (just like the applications don't), so deleting that can save some space.

I had forgotten about that. I did remove the tour as well as the languages. Good tip.

Going home for lunch today. Hope to see some goodies from the UPS guy.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 10:45 PM

Just installed iWork.

Pages is 853.6 MB. Removing the languages and the iWork Tour gets it down to 266 MB.

Keynote is just over 1 GB.

Yes. It definitely grew. It also seemed to take a long time to install.

The little I have used Pages so far is that it is faster. Really quick on our iMac G5.

Off topic but iLife really grew as well. 685 MB can be removed just by trashing the extra languages. iWeb is the biggest language hog with 521MB extra.

My PB is now cramped severely for space.

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2006, 02:39 PM

If you delete the extra languages from iWork '06 (you can do this from the Get Info window), Keynote still takes up about 1GB but Pages went down to 265MB, a lot smaller....

I never knew you could do that. It certainly does clear up a lot of space

The warning box that pops up is a bit alarmist though.
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by iluvmymactoo
The warning box that pops up is a bit alarmist though.
What warning might that be?
esdesign

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2006, 04:01 PM

What warning might that be?
If I was able to attach an image I'd show you.

All it says is

"Are you sure you want to move "Dutch" to the trash?
The application may stop working if you remove these files.
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2006, 05:54 PM

Yah Monolingual is a great app, used it recently got back something like 400 megs of space just from the lil apps since I last used it. That said, hearing about your guys' experiences if I don't have the package with both boxes by the week end I'm just gonna bittorrent for both of em. I mean... it's been a week since I ordered it from Apple and this shipper they give me whenever I order something takes for freaking ever and they never update their shipping page.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2006, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
Yah Monolingual is a great app, used it recently got back something like 400 megs of space just from the lil apps since I last used it. That said, hearing about your guys' experiences if I don't have the package with both boxes by the week end I'm just gonna bittorrent for both of em. I mean... it's been a week since I ordered it from Apple and this shipper they give me whenever I order something takes for freaking ever and they never update their shipping page.
Just a warning, all this bloat carries over to the installer (iLife ways in at about 6GB, iWork slightly smaller at just over one), so any sort of download is likely to take as long as shipping.

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Jan 19, 2006, 06:03 PM

So your iWork (and even iLife) applications are installed with several localizations? Apple will only ship iWork and iLife in three weeks here in Europe because they "need to localize it". However, it looks like it is already localized. They can't possibly need three weeks to translate the text on the packaging? Then again, it's Apple Europe... I should be glad that it only takes three weeks.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2006, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by iluvmymactoo
If I was able to attach an image I'd show you.

All it says is

"Are you sure you want to move "Dutch" to the trash?
The application may stop working if you remove these files.
Huh, I didn't get that warning. Or else I totally spaced out and clicked pass it automatically. (or it could be because I didn't install any of the language packs with OS X... except I think I might have Japanese..hmm.)
esdesign

Forum Links
Forum Rules