Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > DirecTV NHL center ice question

DirecTV NHL center ice question
iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2006, 11:51 PM

At this link, http://www.directvsports.com/Subscri...Ice/Questions/ , it explains local areas and how blackouts work.

Q: Which games fall under blackout regulations?
A: Blackout restrictions apply to all games that are on NHL® CENTER ICE®. Blackout restrictions are designed to protect the television rights holders in the competing teams' respective home markets. Blackouts are not based on arena sellouts.

Q: What is a local broadcast blackout?
A: Here's an example: If the St. Louis Blues are playing the New York Rangers, the local telecast areas of the Blues and Rangers will be blacked out on NHL® CENTER ICE®, regardless of whether the teams are televising locally. If the teams are televising locally, NHL® CENTER ICE® subscribers can view the game on their over-the-air television station or their local regional sports network (RSN) if DIRECTV carries the local telecaster -- included with TOTAL CHOICE programming and Local Channels.

But it doesn't exactly explain what's meant by a local telecast area. For example, all of AZ can get FSN AZ, OLN, and WB. Would that mean no one in AZ can get Coyotes games on NHL CI? Wondering how that works from anyone that has subscribed that lives near any team.
Thanks.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2006, 12:02 AM

if you can get the local stations that the game is broadcast on (either via cable or satellite - obviously excluding packages like NHL CI), then you are in the blackout zone.

iLikebeer  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2006, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Agasthya
if you can get the local stations that the game is broadcast on (either via cable or satellite - obviously excluding packages like NHL CI), then you are in the blackout zone.
Hmm, thanks for a quick answer, but that's part of the problem. I haven't had cable for over 3 years. I have an antenna I use for news and picking up the games that I can't make it to, but I know Flagstaff gets the games on tv too. I can't believe they would blackout the entire state of Arizona though.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 06:08 PM

I just don't want sports to have any effect on my Cable bill.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 06:08 PM

I just don't want sports to have any effect on my Cable bill.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 12:57 AM

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by iLikebeer
Hmm, thanks for a quick answer, but that's part of the problem. I haven't had cable for over 3 years. I have an antenna I use for news and picking up the games that I can't make it to, but I know Flagstaff gets the games on tv too. I can't believe they would blackout the entire state of Arizona though.
That's my experience. All the game of the local team (which I don't really care for too much) are blacked out on the NHL season ticket when the local Fox Sport shows the game. They also black out the feed from the other team. So my guess is you would be the same for you. It is stupid though since the season ticket shows the whole game INCLUDING the commercials (except for one team I think). OS it's not like there would be a loss of commercial exposure.
When OLN shows the game, it's blacked out as well.

GO WINGS!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules