Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Alan Crotzer - "But I'm not bitter."

Alan Crotzer - "But I'm not bitter."
tavilach
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2006, 06:21 AM

After 24 years in prison, Alan Crotzer has been exonerated due to DNA testing.

Now, I don't want to discuss the legal issues. Not at all. If you want to discuss the case itself, please find another thread.

What I want to discuss is his attitude. People like Crotzer, who has said, "But I'm not bitter," are a true inspiration (at least to me). If I were arrested for 24 years like that, I wouldn't have been able to handle it. And if I had, I'd be on a shooting spree right now. I get bitter like that, and it's something about myself that I will change thanks to people like Crotzer who show me that there is another way. These people are testament to the fact that you never need to be bitter, no matter the situation. It'll never help you in the long run. You do what you need to get by, but you do it with the right attitude.

If Crotzer isn't bitter, none of us should ever be. Here's to having a good attitude and the people who do.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Railroader
Banned
Jan 24, 2006, 06:24 AM

Not to get into the legal issues, but... I would be calling a lawyer.

Bitter, yes.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2006, 06:26 AM

I'm sure he'll be calling a lawyer, and he will surely be bitter at some point. But not to the point where it defines him, and that's what I see as admirable. I guess I needed to clarify that.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2006, 06:38 AM

He just got out..... I can't imagine any feeling that would overshadow the initial flood of happiness. But, as you mentioned, the bitterness may set in at some later point, when he realizes that he was deprived of so much for nothing.

Jail changes you. Maybe he sees the ultimate futility in vengeance.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2006, 07:30 AM

Do we need two threads about this?

Anand
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2006, 08:45 AM

The sad fact is that people have been put to death only to have DNA evidence clear them at a latter time.

I don't think most people in America care much about that as they must be some sort of criminal anyway (aka: black).
Yes, I know I could buy a PC, but why?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Anand
The sad fact is that people have been put to death only to have DNA evidence clear them at a latter time.
Actually that's not true...yet. That Virginia case a few weeks ago was supposed to be the first one, but the DNA testing proved that the guy actually did it. People from death row have been proven innocent by DNA testing, but so far, it's all been done before their execution.

Not that I'm disagreeing with your general sentiment. Just clarifying.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Forum Links
Forum Rules