Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Bill Gates Vista presentation - funny

Bill Gates Vista presentation - funny (Page 2)
alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 09:47 PM

Episode 2 is much funnier.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2006, 10:44 PM

Little Bill was pretty funny too. Showed this to my dad, who is just switching. He loved it.

kcmac  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
No that's where Microsoft is going to be in 2007.
And 2008 and 2009 and 2010 and 2011.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2006, 11:22 PM

that demo bill gave at the beginning where he's at home, office, airport

1) first no notebooks in the "vision"

2) like there would be enough ROOM for airports to have table/monitors that big for 1 person...what if i'm sitting next to him as he pays his bills?

3) justin timberlake seemed like he's just doing it for the money...or he's a dork lol

4) bill is hunchbacked...

5) vista...still looks w95 in some places..but the "wtf" was their implementation of expose...where one has to scroll through the windows in this "wild" 3-d effect...it defeats the purpose! oy vey!

Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2006, 06:49 AM

Watching the MS keynote is sooo boring. It's amazing. And it's not that Vista is boring, but they do it in such a poor way.

I mean Steve Jobs is the best. He actually interacts with the presenation. I think this guy was playing a video and not doing anything. At least jobs appears to be using the products and typing, clicking. Not to mention he's the boss and he's the one telling us about the great things, not handing it off to some nerd.

If Bill Gates is going to hand it off because he's not a great speaker, get Al Sharpton, not another boring speaker.

It's not even close. Apple does all the little things right.

If Microsoft steals so much from apple, why can't they learn to steal their classic keynotes?

kcmac  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2006, 11:38 AM

You are right Mallrat.

I tried watching that keynote as well. So many times he just stands there in front of the same screen for minutes at a time and just blurts on and on.

I felt that a lot of that keynote was what he thinks may happen in the future but they are not prepared for it yet. Kind of laying out a story to say, just wait, someday MS will be the center of your universe.

Then the features he does show are mostly those we are currently using in OS X.

The best part however is trying to fast forward in WMP. That just truly sucks. That is one thing they can't match. I always appreciate how easy it is to do this very thing in QT.

kcmac  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2006, 11:39 AM

Double.
( Last edited by kcmac; Jan 8, 2006 at 11:50 AM. )

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2006, 12:13 PM

No matter how little screen time microsoft gives steve balmer he still manages to make himself look like an idiot.

Anyone see him at microsofts 25th aniversory

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee
4) bill is hunchbacked...
His arms are also extraordinarily long for a man of his height. It's kind of ape-like.

The MS keynote definitely the most boring presentation I've watched in a long time. The great thing is how you hear almost NO applause after their "exciting new features" such as Sidebar. You know every person in the place had to have been thinking, "You know...that looks familiar. Wait! My friend who is in graphics...his Mac does that!"

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2006, 09:50 PM

I'm not joking, they're planning on shipping it on the last day of 2006 last I heard...
i mean the vison that bill gates has for the end of the decade.
Signature depreciated.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2006, 11:28 PM

Mildly amusing.

-t

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2006, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist
Where's episode 3??
E3

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2006, 04:15 AM

LOL!! Each episode gets better and better. I loved the pictures of Bill Gates in iPhoto.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2006, 09:28 AM

I'm not joking, they're planning on shipping it on the last day of 2006 last I heard...
Just so they can say they shipped "in 2006"? That's lame.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2006, 10:39 PM

December 31st, 2006 is the expected release date.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2006, 12:55 AM

January 7th..........2002.

kcmac  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 03:15 AM

Good lord. He sounds so inventive. So inspirational.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 04:04 AM

http://spl.haxial.net/mac-fanatics/
Apple Copies Ideas From Microsoft

Mac fanatics enjoy ranting about how Microsoft copies ideas from Apple and about how Apple is the "innovation department" for Microsoft. They are correct in saying that Microsoft copies ideas from Apple. However, the reverse is also true: Apple copies ideas from Microsoft. It is a 2-way street. Here are some examples:

Sticky menus. Originally, if you clicked on a Mac menu, it appeared and then disappeared as soon as you released the mouse button. Microsoft had a better idea -- you can release the mouse button without the menu disappearing. From MacOS 8 forwards, Apple changed their menu behavior to match MS Windoze.
Apples TextEdit program in MacOS X produces files in RTF format, a format developed by Microsoft.
In MacOS X, next to the time there is a little sound icon, same as Windoze.
The way that you sort columns in a file list has changed to the Windoze way -- instead of the ascending/descending triangle being in the right-top corner like MacOS 9, now in MacOS X it is actually on the column itself, like Windoze.
Apple copied the idea of showing a little arrow on aliases/shortcuts.
And the idea of arrow cursors with an extra symbol added, such as arrow and a plus sign (copy).
A major idea that Apple borrowed from Microsoft is Context Menus.
In MacOS X, when you move the mouse over the close box in the window titlebar, it shows an "X" for the close box, a dash for minimize, and a plus for maximize, just like MS Windoze.
And then there is the Dock in MacOS X. It's a suspiciously similar idea to the Start/Task Bar in Windoze -- the things you have open listed horizontally on a bar across the bottom of the screen.
MacOS X also has the "Computer" icon, like the "My Computer" in Windoze.
MacOS X is shifting towards using file name extensions ("myfile.doc") instead of Mac type/creator codes.
For a long time, MS Windows could update your clock for Daylight Savings Time automatically, whereas Mac users had to do it manually. Apple eventually realized that automatic updating was a good idea, and copied the idea.
Apple noticed how well the .DLL (Dynamic Link Library) idea worked in Windoze so they copied the idea and produced their own version of it called a "Shared Library".
Let's not forget the many hardware technologies that Apple borrows from the Wintel (x86 PC) world. For example, PCI, AGP, IDE/ATA/UDMA, USB, PC100/PC133 RAM, DDR RAM, etc.
Also worth mentioning is that Apple copied GUI ideas from Xerox PARC.
And this is not a complete list of copied ideas, but I cannot be bothered spending more time to make a comprehensive list.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 10, 2006, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist
And now they're using intel for their chips! Another move mirroring MS.

Apple should just give up now and concede that MS is the better operating system developer. /SARCASM]

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 06:07 AM

I couldn't even watch the MS keynote. The 300k one was too slow for my connection and the 100k one never loaded.

At least Quicktime actually works when Steve does keynotes.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jasoco
I couldn't even watch the MS keynote. The 300k one was too slow for my connection and the 100k one never loaded.

Yeah right.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by demograph68
Yeah right.
???

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 07:56 AM

Sorry, but after about 10 seconds of listening to Bill Gates, I had to stop. He has to be the biggest dork and most boring speaker in the world. Sad.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2006, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jasoco

-t

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2006, 10:38 AM

Troll food follows...

Apple Copies Ideas From Microsoft

Mac fanatics enjoy ranting about how Microsoft copies ideas from Apple and about how Apple is the "innovation department" for Microsoft. They are correct in saying that Microsoft copies ideas from Apple. However, the reverse is also true: Apple copies ideas from Microsoft. It is a 2-way street. Here are some examples:

Sticky menus. Originally, if you clicked on a Mac menu, it appeared and then disappeared as soon as you released the mouse button. Microsoft had a better idea -- you can release the mouse button without the menu disappearing. From MacOS 8 forwards, Apple changed their menu behavior to match MS Windoze.
True.

Apples TextEdit program in MacOS X produces files in RTF format, a format developed by Microsoft.
That has since become a standard. Adding a new rich text format would only lead to problems.

In MacOS X, next to the time there is a little sound icon, same as Windoze.
BIG DEAL!

The way that you sort columns in a file list has changed to the Windoze way -- instead of the ascending/descending triangle being in the right-top corner like MacOS 9, now in MacOS X it is actually on the column itself, like Windoze.
And like every other sortable table widget in existence. Just because the OS 9 version was retarded doesn't mean the OS X version was copied from Windows.

Apple copied the idea of showing a little arrow on aliases/shortcuts.
True.

And the idea of arrow cursors with an extra symbol added, such as arrow and a plus sign (copy).
Maybe... the arrow with a plus sign has been in Mac OS for a long time. Not sure who had it first.

A major idea that Apple borrowed from Microsoft is Context Menus.
No. Context menus were a PARC thing.

In MacOS X, when you move the mouse over the close box in the window titlebar, it shows an "X" for the close box, a dash for minimize, and a plus for maximize, just like MS Windoze.
Windows does not have a dash for minimize (it's an underscore) nor does it have a plus for maximize (it's a box with a heavy top line). Also, the Mac OS does not support "maximization", it has "zoom" which works differently - the window might actually become smaller!

And then there is the Dock in MacOS X. It's a suspiciously similar idea to the Start/Task Bar in Windoze -- the things you have open listed horizontally on a bar across the bottom of the screen.
It's suspiciously similar to the NextStep "Shelf" (hmm, I wonder why?) which was first used in the 80s.

MacOS X also has the "Computer" icon, like the "My Computer" in Windoze.
Yes. I think the change was made to appease/soothe Windows switchers.

MacOS X is shifting towards using file name extensions ("myfile.doc") instead of Mac type/creator codes.
Unfortunately, yes. But using extensions to identify file types was not a Microsoft invention.

For a long time, MS Windows could update your clock for Daylight Savings Time automatically, whereas Mac users had to do it manually. Apple eventually realized that automatic updating was a good idea, and copied the idea.
For a long time, *nix and other systems could do the same thing. Microsoft copied the idea.

Apple noticed how well the .DLL (Dynamic Link Library) idea worked in Windoze so they copied the idea and produced their own version of it called a "Shared Library".
1. The .DLL works well in Windows?!? (To be fair, things have changed for the better with the last few releases of Windows.)
2. Shared libraries are, again, not a Microsoft invention. They both copied.

Let's not forget the many hardware technologies that Apple borrows from the Wintel (x86 PC) world. For example, PCI, AGP, IDE/ATA/UDMA, USB, PC100/PC133 RAM, DDR RAM, etc.
Not at first; only as those technologies became so prevalent that the parts became much cheaper than other alternatives.

Also worth mentioning is that Apple copied GUI ideas from Xerox PARC.
Not so much "GUI ideas" as "the idea of a GUI". At least they asked first.

krisneph
Jan 26, 2006, 07:50 PM

Part 2 is funny

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2006, 10:50 PM

These videos are f'ing brilliant!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2006, 01:10 AM

Slight problem with that rant about Apple copying Microsoft. Most of those items Microsoft copied from XWindows, which started in the late 80s. I remember my dad's Sun box. Right clicking gave the sticky contextual menu, moving the cursor over objects made it change (such as active windows), etc.

They're good design elements and both Microsoft and Apple utilize them. So what's the big deal?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2006, 05:44 AM

Number three is silly. So many good pictures of Bill being super silly and super geeky.

Really, he just is not the best looking guy for a PR position.

Forum Links
Forum Rules