Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > new forum suggestion - "employ a mcNN'er"

new forum suggestion - "employ a mcNN'er"
m a d r a
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 10:29 AM

er... or hopefully a more elegant title

over my millenia spent treading these boards, i've done the odd bit of work [both for filthy lucre and on "a favour for a favour" basis] for other macNN'ers, who happened to need some work doing that fell into my area of [so-called] expertise. although nowadays, i'd mainly take on a bit of such work as a kind of "paid recreation", rather than something that pays the rent, there was a time back in the day when, as a starving student, the odd £20 or so for marking up a bit of HTML, or the offer of a bit of web-hosting space in return for knocking out a logo really did make a difference.

so my proposal would be that mcNN would provide a forum for members to "strut their skillsets" [so to speak]. 'm sure a lot of us who had the odd bit of paid [or paid in kind] work to offer, would welcome the opportunity to "keep it in the family" by putting it in the direction of a fellow board member.

the forum could list members under various categories, appropriate to the services they could offer; web design, cocoa programming, graphic design, print publishing... etc. etc. so if, for example someone wanted to get some brochures printed up, they'd got to the "employ a macNN'er" forum and look under the "print publishing" category, where they'd find all the members listed who worked in that field [along with details of what they offer and what they charge and so forth]

now, i realise that the first thing people are going to shout about is the potential for spammers to flood any such forum with their drivel, but i'm sure it's not beyond the capabilities of the admins to set up such a board in a way that only macNN'ers who've "earned their stripes" - whether this be based on post count or length of membership, can post there.

whaddya reckon, folks?

euphras
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 10:39 AM

Good idea, maybe set the border to "only 500 posts and higher" that should settle the spammers. Who likes to hire an electron microscopist?

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2006, 11:38 AM

Alternatively, why not put your services into your signature? I had a link to my business in my sig for the longest time and got a steady trickle of hits from it.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 02:11 PM

I like the idea. I'd check it daily and put a link to my portfolio in my sig. Let's do it.

milhous
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 01:34 AM

i like the idea, just make a subforum within the community section of the boards.
F = ma

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 09:54 AM

I am in favor of this promising idea.

Oh, and I hope that was purely in jest, euphras. There are people here with much less than 500 posts who are valuable members. Perhaps a small minimum post requirement is not a bad idea-- say 20 posts or so?

Paco500
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2006, 12:53 PM

I'm highly in favor of such a forum.

I think the post count restriction would be a good idea. Or perhaps a more heavily moderated forum- posts must pass muster before they are posted.

Whatever is decided, I think it would be a valuable addition to these forums.

Demonhood
Administrator
Feb 6, 2006, 01:39 PM

i support this idea. i shall float it with the others.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2006, 11:08 PM

I heard Nick is looking for a job

King_Rat
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2006, 10:30 PM

If you base the ability to post job adds on participation you should make it on a combination of membership time and post count. Also, don't make the post count too high or it will encourage frivolous posts. I would recommend something like 100 posts and 1 year membership.
-King Rat

euphras
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by King_Rat
If you base the ability to post job adds on participation you should make it on a combination of membership time and post count. Also, don't make the post count too high or it will encourage frivolous posts. I would recommend something like 100 posts and 1 year membership.
Good idea! Could be the option high post count OR long term membership (remember members like keysersoze: 6 years but only 5 or so posts)

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2006, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood
i support this idea. i shall float it with the others.
Whatever came out of this discussion with the moderators?


Sep 27, 2006, 05:30 PM

This is a great idea. Except for post count ( I'm kinda new here).
-

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2006, 06:47 PM

Wow I just noticed that Ricky resurrected an old thread, I almost responded about madra posting in 'NN since he left to start his ow forum

Oopsie
Michael

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2006, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939
Whatever came out of this discussion with the moderators?
Bueller?

Forum Links
Forum Rules