Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Buy MacBook or keep the PB15 Al Rev A

Buy MacBook or keep the PB15 Al Rev A
runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2006, 12:50 AM

Hi,
I have a PB15 1.25 GHz, 2GB Ram DDR1 (SDRAM). It works good with most of my programs (eclipse, NetBeans, VirtualPC with XP, Photoshop). I have considered to wait for rev B MacBook pro because of the following arguments:

- Not many programs run natively on the x86 platform (yet). Is this true for a long time?

- I remember there where a lot of discussions about 64bit technology in the new PB/MBP. Is it likely that we see a new CPU in the RevB MBP, or will we stick to 32bit for a while?

- OS X. Is Tiger optimalized for x86, or will the next generation have some real performance boosters ?

My PB works fine for development, Java etc and for daily useage, but I might think that the new display is something wortthly yo try. What do you think. Anyone saw the new displays ?

So, the most asked question on this forum repeats itself: Should I wait, or are my arguments bad. ?
How can a boring thing such as a mac or a PC be so exciting??

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2006, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by runejoha
Hi,
I have a PB15 1.25 GHz, 2GB Ram DDR1 (SDRAM). It works good with most of my programs (eclipse, NetBeans, VirtualPC with XP, Photoshop). I have considered to wait for rev B MacBook pro because of the following arguments:

- Not many programs run natively on the x86 platform (yet). Is this true for a long time?

- I remember there where a lot of discussions about 64bit technology in the new PB/MBP. Is it likely that we see a new CPU in the RevB MBP, or will we stick to 32bit for a while?

- OS X. Is Tiger optimalized for x86, or will the next generation have some real performance boosters ?

My PB works fine for development, Java etc and for daily useage, but I might think that the new display is something wortthly yo try. What do you think. Anyone saw the new displays ?

So, the most asked question on this forum repeats itself: Should I wait, or are my arguments bad. ?
Some programs are available, some aren't. Many of the apps that aren't run acceptably under Rosetta. Adobe says they'll have a Creative Suite universal binary out in 8 - 14 months. Virtual PC will not run on the Intel Macs, and MS has not annouced plans for a Universal Binary (oh the irony, needing a PPC Mac to run Windows).

64-bit doesn't have a great impact unless you're looking at >4GB RAM; most laptops only support 2GB, and the MBP supports 4GB. The next revision will likely have a 64-bit processor (Merom) and you may be able to upgrade the processor in the future.

Tiger is x86 optimized, but I would expect more optimization in 10.5.

If there are any show-stoppers for you (like the lack of VPC) then I'd say wait. Otherwise, why not?

giggs11
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2006, 01:34 AM

If your current machine meets your needs, stick with it. If you think the screen is the biggest reason to upgrade, you should at least wait until its in stores so you can compare it yourself and see if its worth it. Seems like with your laptop, you should be fine at least until the inevitable initial problems with the MacBook get solved.

marcelo929
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2006, 09:19 PM

New screens will probably be much better the change will be good but if its not crucial dont change stick with the PB

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2006, 09:25 PM

I am waiting this time around (I used to always buy Rev. A) and will instead give my PowerBook an extra two years of life and save some money.

If your PowerBook still does what you need it to do, why upgrade?

Forum Links
Forum Rules