Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Freezing Problems after Hard Drive Replacement?

Freezing Problems after Hard Drive Replacement?
louh
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2006, 09:38 PM

I am having sporadic freezing problems when trying to copy large files onto my new 300 GB Western Digital Caviar Drive. I used Carbon Copy Clone to replace the original drive. The errors that I can find, only occur when using Disk Utility (packaged with OSX 10.4.4). See below for Disk Utilities Error Report.

TechTool Pro 4.0.5 and DiskWarrior 3.0.3 were able to make repairs and reported back a clean bill of health. But something is obviously wrong because I am getting sporadic freezing problems.

Does anyone have any ideas how to repair this new drive? I'm ready to put the original 80GB drive back in. The other 3 bays on my 1GHz Dual G4 have drives installed that are also full.

Thanks,
Lou

Repairing disk for Macintosh HD
Mounting Disk(S, Checking HFS Plus volume.,"0)
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Invalid leaf record count
Checking Extended Attributes file.
(It should be 0 instead of 3)
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
Repairing volume.
The volume Macintosh HD was repaired successfully.

Repair attempted on 2 volumes
1 HFS volume repaired
1 volume could not be repaired

Stephen Hanasew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2006, 10:41 PM

I got the same error message the other day. I thought that it was caused by me using Disk Utility booted from a Panther Install disk on a CD because my SuperDrive has been finicky booting from my Tiger install DVD. I then tried the Tiger install disc to see what would happen and got lucky..... it booted, so I repaired the permissions and ran the Disk Utility to repair the drive. It seemed to work, no more error message. It's the first time I've seen that error, not sure what it means. I'll be checking back to see what others have to say.

louh  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2006, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen Hanasew
I got the same error message the other day. I thought that it was caused by me using Disk Utility booted from a Panther Install disk on a CD because my SuperDrive has been finicky booting from my Tiger install DVD. I then tried the Tiger install disc to see what would happen and got lucky..... it booted, so I repaired the permissions and ran the Disk Utility to repair the drive. It seemed to work, no more error message. It's the first time I've seen that error, not sure what it means. I'll be checking back to see what others have to say.

I was also booted from a Drive that had Panther installed when I ran the Panther version of Disk Utility. Maybe, that's the problem - - but I'm still getting a freeze when I try and transfer a 31GB iMovie file file from one drive to the newly installed drive. When I 'Verify Disk' from 10.4.4 everything checks out fine and I get a message that the "Volume Passed Verification."

Stephen Hanasew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2006, 06:32 PM

How are you copying the file, drag & drop or some other method. I use Déjà Vu to copy files from one drive to another. It costs, but to me it's worth it.

OreoCookie
Feb 8, 2006, 06:51 AM

It sounds to me as if you should try to backup everything, zero the drive (it's a secure delete option, write 0s on the drive) and then re-install from scratch.

If that doesn't help, I would exchange the drive for a new one.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2006, 07:35 AM

For some reason, using Disk Utility from Panther can result in errors with Tiger volumes, though the Tiger version will not report errors from the same volume. That's what I was told anyway from an AppleCare rep last year when Tiger first came out.

louh  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2006, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen Hanasew
How are you copying the file, drag & drop or some other method. I use Déjà Vu to copy files from one drive to another. It costs, but to me it's worth it.
I tried it two ways. This is just one file so I don't need to use Deja Vu or Retrospect. I tried to drag it from one drive to the other. The second way was by doing a Save As. Both times the file quit transferring and the computer froze when approximately half way transferred(about 15GB of the 30GB each time.) It didn't freeze at the same point in the file transfer.

By the way, to actually back up data and disks, I use Retrospect 6.1.126.

louh  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2006, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
It sounds to me as if you should try to backup everything, zero the drive (it's a secure delete option, write 0s on the drive) and then re-install from scratch.

If that doesn't help, I would exchange the drive for a new one.
That's what I did when I initially installed the drive. If I continue to have problems, I'll take up your suggestion - but Oh what a Pain and Oh what an amount of time involved. I was hoping for a flawless first attempt using Carbon Copy Clone. I also had a Backup using Retropect 6.1.126. Looking back I wish I would have used it to transfer the data back to the new drive but Carbon Copy seemed less of a hassle so I took the easy route. I guess I'm paying for it now. I wonder if Retropect would have done a better job without any 'mistakes'?

Forum Links
Forum Rules