Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Faces of meth

Faces of meth
dark3lf
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 10:10 PM

http://www.drugfree.org/Portal/DrugI...es/index.html#

Can you believe the transformation in these people? In such a short time they look like they've aged 20+ years, fought and lost in WW3 And WW4. Can someone explain the ulcers all over their faces? Meth does that to you? You can just see the desperation in their eyes, the hope is just gone. I feel sorry for them.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2006, 10:31 PM

Excuse my ignorance.. does meth give you acne?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2006, 10:33 PM

The first guy looks like Jason Lee's "Earl" character

Click through them and you will be delighted to see a Britney Spears lookalike.

dark3lf  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 10:34 PM

That's no look-alike.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2006, 10:44 PM

It's also sad to see how far Screech has fallen since the 90s.

ambush
Banned
Feb 15, 2006, 10:56 PM

Meth is bad, coke is bad, heroine is bad, opium (when you don,t need it) is bad, dxm abuse is bad, ketamine abuse is bad, research chemicals are bad (maybe, but don't take any chance), alcohol abuse is bad, nicotine is bad.

BUT
Marijuana can be good
LSD can be good
Mushrooms can be good
Small alcohol quantities are OK

IMHO

Oh and this guy actually looks cooler after meth.

Meth does really bad thing to your TEETH too, as well as rashes, etc.
Worst drug ever, can be synthetized at home fairly easily.
DON'T TRY IT.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2006, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by ambush
Meth is bad, coke is bad, heroine is bad, opium (when you don,t need it) is bad, dxm abuse is bad, ketamine abuse is bad, research chemicals are bad (maybe, but don't take any chance), alcohol abuse is bad, nicotine is bad.

BUT
Marijuana can be good
LSD can be good
Mushrooms can be good
Small alcohol quantities are OK

IMHO
oh, ambush, that's how it starts honey....

good luck

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2006, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit
that's how it starts
Or not.

mrgaskell
Senior User
Feb 15, 2006, 11:03 PM

LSD is completely bad for you, unless spontaneous tripping is OK for the rest of your life. Oh, and it can change your DNA, which, as a biologist, I give a big .
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

mrgaskell
Senior User
Feb 15, 2006, 11:06 PM

Oh, and yes, meth can give you that kind of acne and it rots out your teeth. Its from all of the chemicals and solvents.

ambush
Banned
Feb 15, 2006, 11:09 PM

Flashbacks occur in 13% of users.

I really do not get the drugs scheduling system. For instance, pot and LSD are schedule ONE.
Schedule I
Schedule I drugs have a high tendency for abuse and have no accepted medical use.
Irony:
LSD abuse? Hmmm that'd be .... extremely unlikely.
And marijuana has accepted medical uses, come on!
Why isn't alcohol in schedule I? It has not medical use/has a high tendency for abuse (more than LSD anyway)

ambush
Banned
Feb 15, 2006, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit
oh, ambush, that's how it starts honey....

good luck
Where were you in the 70es? I mean, when everyone was trying at least one of these and continuing use?

Fun trivia: Steve Jobs called his LSD experiences "the most important thing in my life". It's also known that he was a pothead. Bill Gates used LSD too.

Celebrate Hoffman's (LSD creator) 100th birthday! (he's still alive!)
In an interview in the book What the Dormouse Said: How the 60s Counterculture Shaped the Personal Computer, Steve Jobs talks about how taking LSD was "one of the two or three most important things he has done in his life". Wishing to surround himself with people of a similar mindset, he would often ask interviewees how many times they have taken LSD.

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 11:43 PM

good lord I wanna go score some meth up in north philly now.....
I kinda feel bad for these people, since they did it to themselves obviously, but they probably didnt realize it had that much of an effect. even though they probably dont care.

How hard is it to ween yourself of meth, compared to other drugs of similar extremeness

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2006, 11:48 PM

I believe meth addiction is a very difficult cycle to break. If I remember correctly, it totally messes up your sleep patterns/ability...

ripped from a website called narconon...

Withdrawal - No acute, immediate symptoms of physical distress are evident with methamphetamine withdrawal, a stage that the abuser may slowly enter. Often 30-90 days must pass after the last drug use before the abuser realizes that he is in withdrawal. First, without really noticing, the individual becomes depressed and loses the ability to experience pleasure. The individual becomes lethargic; he has no energy. Then the craving for more methamphetamine hits, and the abuser often becomes suicidal. If the abuser, however, takes more methamphetamine at any point during the withdrawal, the unpleasant feelings will end. Consequently, the success rate for traditional methamphetamine rehabilitation is very low. Ninety-three percent of those in traditional treatment return to abuse methamphetamine.
Joe

ambush
Banned
Feb 16, 2006, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by hickey
good lord I wanna go score some meth up in north philly now.....
I kinda feel bad for these people, since they did it to themselves obviously, but they probably didnt realize it had that much of an effect. even though they probably dont care.

How hard is it to ween yourself of meth, compared to other drugs of similar extremeness
You're an idiot, don't touch this ****ing drug.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2006, 01:29 AM

Meth is stupid.

Hallucenogenics in general do not (usually) cause the user to develop an "addiction" to the substance (Pot included).

I've tried plenty (not meth, but similar things) and I'll stick with a phat joint and a Corona thank ye very much.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2006, 01:42 AM

Those pictures are from Multanomah county? Ha. I lived there for the past year and a half. I'd believe it.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

greenamp
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2006, 01:52 AM

Oh and this guy actually looks cooler after meth.

LOL

greenamp
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2006, 01:58 AM

So for the record, were these people photographed initially during an arrest of some sort (presumably meth) ?

If so, those images really don't tell us much about the affects of meth on your physical appearance. Chances are, these folks would look the same in their after-pics if meth were out of the equation. Looks like they all had hard lives to begin with.

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Feb 16, 2006, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by dark3lf
http://www.drugfree.org/Portal/DrugI...es/index.html#

Can you believe the transformation in these people? In such a short time they look like they've aged 20+ years, fought and lost in WW3 And WW4. Can someone explain the ulcers all over their faces? Meth does that to you? You can just see the desperation in their eyes, the hope is just gone. I feel sorry for them.
They get the acne and sores all over their body from constantly picking at their skin thinking and feeling things beneath their skin. Meth rots your teeth too, it's called Meth Mouth. There's actually a billboard in downtown Mpls featuring a before/after of one of these fiine looking meth head ladies. The pics are enough of a deterent for me (not that I would have ever considered it w/o these pics). My roomate works at Hoome Depot and periodically an officer comes in to tell them to be suspicious of peoplee buying certain chemicals or whatever in large wuantities or obvious combinations. It's easy to say that "these people did this to themselves, they don't deserve a full plate of pity" but you have to pity these people, just look into their eyes, there is only depression and sadness, you can';t even see a hhuman in there.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2006, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by powerbook867

Withdrawal - No acute, immediate symptoms of physical distress are evident with methamphetamine withdrawal, a stage that the abuser may slowly enter. Often 30-90 days must pass after the last drug use before the abuser realizes that he is in withdrawal. First, without really noticing, the individual becomes depressed and loses the ability to experience pleasure. The individual becomes lethargic; he has no energy. Then the craving for more methamphetamine hits, and the abuser often becomes suicidal. If the abuser, however, takes more methamphetamine at any point during the withdrawal, the unpleasant feelings will end. Consequently, the success rate for traditional methamphetamine rehabilitation is very low. Ninety-three percent of those in traditional treatment return to abuse methamphetamine.
Narconon is a Scientology organization designed to transfer people's psychological addiction from chemicals to Dianetics.

That text may be accurate, but do not take ANYTHING Narconon says at face value.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2006, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by sek929
I've tried plenty (not meth, but similar things) and I'll stick with a phat joint and a Corona thank ye very much.
Amen.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 16, 2006, 07:19 AM

I really do not get the drugs scheduling system. For instance, pot and LSD are schedule ONE.

Irony:
LSD abuse? Hmmm that'd be .... extremely unlikely.
And marijuana has accepted medical uses, come on!
Why isn't alcohol in schedule I? It has not medical use/has a high tendency for abuse (more than LSD anyway)
Ambush has never seen someone freak out on LSD obviously. It's not the addictive or abusive properties that make it a class 1. And you should see what pot does to your lungs.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 16, 2006, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by powerbook867
Don't believe everything you read at that site. It's a Scientology front.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2006, 07:26 AM

My neighbor in south Dakota was a dentist and would occasionally have to go to the State Pen in town to do work on prisoners teeth. He had nothing but horror stories to say about 'Meth Mouth.' Scary stuff.

He also said that Mellow Yellow was destroying the teeth of today's youth, and was usually one of the constant factors in young people with horrible teeth.

So to recap: Mellow Yellow and Meth are bad for your teeth.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2006, 07:58 AM

WOW! Had no idea that was a front for scientology! Just came up in google on a search!!

Thanks guys for the heads up. Don't think I'll be haeding back there...I'll just stick to webmd for basic facts about addiction and health..
Joe

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2006, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
He also said that Mellow Yellow was destroying the teeth of today's youth, and was usually one of the constant factors in young people with horrible teeth.

So to recap: Mellow Yellow and Meth are bad for your teeth.
mellow yellow?

smoking banana peels?

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2006, 11:45 AM

You're an idiot, don't touch this ****ing drug.
I guess my sarcasm slipped through. I have enough intelligence to stay away from crap like that.

ambush
Banned
Feb 16, 2006, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Ambush has never seen someone freak out on LSD obviously. It's not the addictive or abusive properties that make it a class 1. And you should see what pot does to your lungs.
If you're stupid enough to take LSD when you're emotionally unstable, in a bad mental health, or anything like that, then you deserve your bad trip. Information is out there on the net: use it. And according to the law, alcohol should be schedule I. It's logical.

Pot can be eaten/vaporized, but thanks for the new information.

V
Senior User
Feb 16, 2006, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by mrgaskell
Oh, and it can change your DNA...
First time I hear of this, source?

Originally Posted by kevin
And you should see what pot does to your lungs.
And you should see what oxygen do to your cells.

V
Senior User
Feb 16, 2006, 02:18 PM

I've found something. http://www.psychedelic-library.org/grofchro.htm

I'll read it and get back to you.

Here's an abstract:

In 1968, Jarvik et al. (63) tried to replicate some of the in vitro experiments of Cohen's group. In addition to LSD, they used as testing substances ergonovine (a drug commonly used in obstetric practice), aspirin, and streptonigrine. They found a higher incidence of chromosome breaks in the LSD samples (10.2 percent with the range 0.0-15.0) as compared to the control samples (5.2 percent with the range from 0.0-9.0). They found, however, approximately the same breakage rate with aspirin (10.0 percent) and ergonovine (9.6 percent). The concentration of LSD in blood used in this study approximates the level reached one to four hours after injection of 1,000 micrograms of LSD. On the other hand, the level of aspirin used was considerably below the common therapeutic level. Streptonigrine, a substance with a well-known dramatic effect on the chromosomes, induced chromosome breakage in 35 percent of the examined cells. It is interesting to note that two of the eight cases described in this paper did not respond to LSD with an increase in chromosome breaks.

ambush
Banned
Feb 16, 2006, 02:23 PM

It sucks that there is almost no research done on psychedelics because societies consider it taboo.

Daveecee
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2006, 02:47 PM

Bride of Frankenstein?

ambush
Banned
Feb 16, 2006, 02:49 PM

as if hair coloration was gonna change something

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2006, 03:45 PM

Dave, see Screech comment above

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2006, 04:06 PM

Pictures definitely speak a thousand words. Very sad. Drugs destroy many lives.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

allblue
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2006, 04:52 PM

LSD is completely bad for you, unless spontaneous tripping is OK for the rest of your life. Oh, and it can change your DNA, which, as a biologist, I give a big .
Oh yeah? How does it do that then?
"Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

Buddha

allblue
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2006, 04:59 PM

You state this as a fact without qualification. Could you quote your statistical source please?
"Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

Buddha

drmbb2
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2006, 05:05 PM

Links about DNA and LSD

http://www.psychedelic-library.org/grofchro.htm

There are counter studies to the LSD data, so it's not clear just exactly what it does to DNA, or at what dose. The only thing that is clear is it has mutagenic effects - whether these manifest themselves in humans is iffy.

Cocaine and ecstasy can also cause chromosome damage and mutations. Chronic pot smokers develop the same types of lung and breathing problems as heavy smokers (eg bronchitis) as well as many of the same precancerous cellular changes as cigarette smoking (marijuana smoke has 50% to 70% more known carcinogens than tobacco smoke).

None of this stuff is "new" news.
( Last edited by drmbb2; Feb 16, 2006 at 05:22 PM. )
"No footprints when we're gone. Only where we've been, a faint and fading glow" Bruce Cockburn

allblue
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by drmbb2
The first paragraph from above:

In the last decade, a serious new dimension has been added to the LSD controversy. A number of scientific papers have been published indicating that LSD might cause structural changes in the chromosomes, genetic mutations, disturbances of embryonic development, and malignant degeneration of cells. However a comparable number of publications question the accuracy of these allegations. Some are independent experimental studies which have yielded negative results, others criticize the original papers for serious conceptual and methodological inadequacies. Despite all the experimental work done in this area, and the vast expenditure of time and energy, the results are ambiguous and contradictory.
My emphasis.
( Last edited by allblue; Feb 16, 2006 at 06:33 PM. )

Buddha

allblue
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2006, 05:23 PM

My point above is that research into drugs does not take place in a political or ideolgical vaccuum. Big bucks are on offer for research into 'harmful effects' of some substances while even bigger bucks are available to research that does not find 'harmful effects' in others. As something like 70% of all research into pharamaceuticals is funded by Pharmaceutical companies we should all be worried by that (think Prozac et al).

Buddha

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
So for the record, were these people photographed initially during an arrest of some sort (presumably meth) ?.
I was thinking the same thing... where did they get these first photos where some of the people even look happy? And why are they in the same pose with the same background? Is this crap all just staged? Like this one:

Can that be real?? My stepdad took meth for a year or so and got sores on his face, but nothing so dramatic as what these people are showing. Luckily he managed to get off the drug.

allblue
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2006, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Kevin, have you ever seen anyone not on LSD freak out?

Buddha

allblue
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2006, 06:36 PM

Three years of alcohol abuse may well have the same result. And come to think of it, did anyone see "Super Size Me"?

Buddha

allblue
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2006, 06:37 PM

[QUOTE=Daveecee]

At least she's got her hair sorted out eh!

Buddha

Binarymix
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2006, 07:00 PM

I've seen crack/cocaine do this to people, nevermind meth which is 1000000x worse.

allblue
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2006, 07:10 PM

Oh dear oh dear! I just went to the OP's original link - come on people its a DEA disinformation site! I reckon they just got a bunch of actors auditioning as extras for a zombie movie! Not credible at all.
For an indication of the lies and nonsense that gets disseminated in this area there's lots of gut-laughs here:
http://www.onlinepot.org/ReeferMadne...dnessindex.htm

Mind you it is true that drugs kill lots of people. Over 100,000 a year in the US alone, and that's just legal drugs prescribed by doctors!
http://www.ourcivilisation.com/medic...med/deaths.htm
The moral being stay away from doctors wherever possible!

Buddha

mrgaskell
Senior User
Feb 16, 2006, 07:17 PM

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/meth/

This is the actual show from which a lot of these pics come from. There is also a podcast from Newsweek from August, I believe, that talks about Meth as well. Very nasty stuff and is actually used quite a bit. I say a small percentage (one of my kids said around 5%) of the kids in my school are somewhat regular users and many know someone who cooks it.

I guess there is now a way to make it without flame, using some crystalization method to string, simliar to making rock candy. That seems to be picking up here as it isn't as dangerous and not as easy to smell as when you have a full lab going. Takes longer (around 30 days).

Thanks for the backup on the DNA/LSD.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 16, 2006, 09:11 PM

It sucks that there is almost no research done on psychedelics because societies consider it taboo.
There is PLENTY of research out there. When I was in college I remember reading a HUGE book on LSD that was in the library.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2006, 10:43 PM

As a biologist you should know better. You don't need to have a degree in organic chemistry to realize most of what you said isn't true.

Forum Links
Forum Rules