Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > QuickCam Pro 4000

QuickCam Pro 4000
WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2006, 09:04 AM

Digging up an old thread but I'm in a similar situation now. Caan anyone comment on using a Quickcam Pro 4000 with Mac OS X (Tiger)

OreoCookie
Jan 3, 2006, 12:01 PM

I have a different Logitech webcam (4000 Pro, I think), so here are some impressions: the picture quality is not as good as the iSight's, especially in low-light situations. On the other hand, the limiting factor in most cases will be the connection (I used to use it for Yahoo chat most of the time and there, the application is definitely the bottleneck).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2006, 08:37 PM

I thought logitec cam's were windows only? What are some cheap usb cams that work with OS X? I know iSight is the best for quality but whats the best for my wallet? (I'm looking for factory support, not free kinda working sourceforge support)

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2006, 08:57 PM

Keep in mind that for the Logitech to work with ichat, you have to buy additional 3rd party software, because ichat doesn't support usb webcams. Firewire only. So there'd always be the chance of future system software invalidating the 3rd party ichat-enabling software.

Basically, you have to work your way backwards: figure out who you're going to be communicating with, and what software they're going to be using. Do you need cross-platform? That necessitates mac-compatible software. when I was looking into this, the only thing I came up of any quality as good as iChat with was iVisit. The free version has a way-too-small video window, to get anything bigger, you have to pay. So, if your usage demands such software, add the figure of the software to the cost of the usb webcam. How close do you come to the price of the iSight?

OreoCookie: When I was looking at Yahoo Messenger for the Mac, I seem to recall that it supported video but not voice? Is that the case?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 16, 2006, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by WJMoore
Digging up an old thread but I'm in a similar situation now. Caan anyone comment on using a Quickcam Pro 4000 with Mac OS X (Tiger)
I moved this to a new thread because our rules explicitly prohibit resurrecting threads older than 6 months. The thread you brought back was two and a half years old.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules