Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP Buyers: Who is buying the 2.16 version

MBP Buyers: Who is buying the 2.16 version
riotge@r
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2006, 10:34 PM

I'm just curious who is upgrading to the 2.16.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2006, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by riotge@r
I'm just curious who is upgrading to the 2.16.
Nope, not going to do it...must resist urge
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

Rumz
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2006, 10:41 PM

Technically I cancelled my order and re-ordered the 2.16ghz model. But yes I'm on the 2.16ghz bandwagon.

Karim
Senior User
Feb 14, 2006, 10:52 PM

I cancelled my 10 min after the keynote 1.83 order (with a 2/15 ship, 2/21) and went for the 2.16. Right now it says shipping 2/17 delivery 2/23. We shall see if I regret it or not...

higuy83
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2006, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Karim
I cancelled my 10 min after the keynote 1.83 order (with a 2/15 ship, 2/21) and went for the 2.16. Right now it says shipping 2/17 delivery 2/23. We shall see if I regret it or not...
I just got off the phone with Apple's Order Status department and they informed me that the 2.16 MacBook Pro's won't ship until mid-March, regardless of hard drive, memory, etc. configuration changes.

How is your new 2.16 supposedly shipping in a few days?!
15" MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM
iPod classic (160 GB)
iPod nano (4 GB)
iPod shuffle (1 GB)

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2006, 11:11 PM

Cancelled my 1.83 order today and got the 2.16 with upgraded HDD. Order shows an estimated ship date of 2/17. I opted for expedited delivery so we shall see as well...
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

Karim
Senior User
Feb 14, 2006, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by higuy83
I just got off the phone with Apple's Order Status department and they informed me that the 2.16 MacBook Pro's won't ship until mid-March, regardless of hard drive, memory, etc. configuration changes.

I'm really surprised as well, I talked to Apple and the guy said, and I quote, "That is unbelievable, you are so lucky...." I don't know If I'm really lucky, but if it ships in a few days I sure will feel lucky!

markus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by higuy83

i think one thing we should all have learned by now is the apple phone jockey's have no more clue than you or i as to what date or anything about shipping. no matter what they say, how they say it, or what date they give - they have absolutely ZERO idea. they just placate you and get you off the phone because they know if you call back you wont speak to them again.

that being said, i cancelled my jan 11 order and upgraded to a 2.16 .. my shipping date is friday february 17.

and my phone rep said it'll definitely ship on friday. DEFINITELY.
( Last edited by markus; Feb 14, 2006 at 11:49 PM. )

aplmd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 11:46 PM

Karim, I have the same thing... upgraded to a 2.16GHz with 7200RPM 100GB drive. The lady updating it in the computer told me it should go out on Friday and should have it next week (Feb 23rd). I think they are giving people who have had an order in the system since mid January prefererence, and all others will get theirs in mid march (or even sooner if there are not as many upgrades switchers). It is kind of a good marketing tool, cause I would have been hesitant to upgrade if it would have taken another month.

Enigmaaron
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2006, 12:32 AM

I am so happy all of you people are helping make my 2.0GHz MacBook Pro come faster. I'll bet anything the people who ordered 2.16GHz this morning will not get it for at least 2 weeks. If you go to the Apple store now it shows the 2.16 estimated shipping as 3-4 weeks (and has since early afternoon). Do you really think they got a 3-4 week back log of orders in half a day? I think it's obvious there was a glitch in the system this morning and by now we should all know the phone reps know nothing more that what you know by looking at your order status online. Think about it, why would upgrading to a 7200rpm hard drive make the computer ship 3 weeks sooner???? (Selecting that option also moved the ship estimate to 1-3 business days) Apple is updating everyone's order status in order of where there are in the wait list. Since your at the back of the line now, your info is not updated yet. Not trying to be a buzz kill here but rather inject some reality. Don't get your hopes up, and thanks again for bumping my Jan 11th order up in the line.

Karim
Senior User
Feb 15, 2006, 01:40 AM

it may take longer or it may not. But it definitely will be faster!

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2006, 01:52 AM

I had my 1.83 automatically bumped to 2.0GB order upgraded to 2.16. They said this would delay the order but not push it to the back of the line. The 1-3 day shipping notice was not accurate. There is no way that the 2.16Ghz machines will be shipping that fast.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2006, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Karim
it may take longer or it may not. But it definitely will be faster!
How much faster? This is kind of frustrating. It really should have been a case of the keynote, the products and the choices back then. This is a bit tiring and the market for my 17 is just going to get more flooded.

Right now, I have the fully loaded 2.0 ghz on order. Will 160 MHZ make any real noticable difference?

I mean, I just don't get it...? Of COURSE we need the fastest processor possible, right? Why on EARTH could Apple just not have made it a case of either the 1.83GHZ or 2.16GHZ?
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2006, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel Bayer
How much faster? This is kind of frustrating. It really should have been a case of the keynote, the products and the choices back then. This is a bit tiring and the market for my 17 is just going to get more flooded.

Right now, I have the fully loaded 2.0 ghz on order. Will 160 MHZ make any real noticable difference?

I mean, I just don't get it...? Of COURSE we need the fastest processor possible, right? Why on EARTH could Apple just not have made it a case of either the 1.83GHZ or 2.16GHZ?
Because that would have bumped the price of the higher 15" to $2700ish and delay the shipping time by another couple weeks; I'd guess Apple wanted a lower price point and quicker shipping.

Will you notice if your video encodes in 37 minutes instead of 40 minutes?
Will you notice if your photoshop filter finishes in 37 seconds instead of 40 seconds?
Will you notice if your software compile takes 3 minutes 42 seconds instead of 4 minutes?

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2006, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
Will you notice if your photoshop filter finishes in 37 seconds instead of 40 seconds?
Yep. Just like when I batch convert 200 12.8 MP raw images, I will notice it.
Ugh! I gotta make the call tomorrow and eat some cash & ship time..

Sure wish these rigs supported 4GB of ram.....
( Last edited by Daniel Bayer; Feb 15, 2006 at 02:13 AM. )
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

Peabo
Senior User
Feb 15, 2006, 07:30 AM

I'm getting the 2.16. The way I see it, it's 330mhz faster than what I thought I was going to get, so it's significant in my opinion!
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

teerexx52
Feb 15, 2006, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by z0ne81
I'm getting the 2.16. The way I see it, it's 330mhz faster than what I thought I was going to get, so it's significant in my opinion!
I ordered it yesterday cancelling my 1.67

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 07:53 AM

Just be patient, i'm sure 2 gig SODIMMS aren't too far away, and theres not physical reason why you can't have 4 gig of RAM in your 'Book
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2006, 02:25 PM

They do: Up to 10.7 GB/s of bandwith and up to 4GB memory addressability, for faster system responsiveness.

Just need to wait for 2GB DDR2-667 SO-DIMMs to hit the market...

CincyGamer
Feb 15, 2006, 02:39 PM

have the same shipping date also.. 2/17 with the 7200 RPM drive.

Rumz
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2006, 05:31 PM

I mentioned this in the main MBP thread, but I thought I'd see if anyone else got a call from Apple saying that the estimated 17th ship date was a glitch and that it'd actually be 3-4 weeks (on a new order placed yesterday, anyways). I just got said phone call a half hour ago or so

Oh, and Enigmaaron: you're welcome

skcrane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2006, 07:59 PM

Yeah I talked to the guy at the local apple store where I live, it is hard to justify a 15% price increase for a possible 8% increase in speed. I kept my order for a 2.0ghz and should becoming to the store hopefully sometime this week if not early next week.

Karim
Senior User
Feb 15, 2006, 08:42 PM

Got a call from Mariah at Apple to let me know the 3 day ship of the 2.16 was a web glitch. The reality is 3-4 weeks to ship.
Online it now shows est. ship 3/16 deliver by 3/21.

I have a few more tricks up my sleeve, but the 2.16 chips may just not be available at the moment. But, I'm still happy with my decision, I usally always upgrade at speed bumps, and there is no point, to me at least, of getting a slower machine when a few weeks will make the difference.

jimbosyn
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2006, 08:44 PM

I called and had my 1.83 come 2.0 upgraded to 2.16. My original ship date was 1/19. Now my estimate is 3/16 Oh well. It'll be worth the wait.

jrramsey
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2006, 09:20 PM

Nope. 8% ain't worth thye $300 and 3 weeks. I ordered the standard 1gig stick and just bought another gig at Crucial. Along with the 256MB VRAM and Dual 2gig/Core processors (and my new 23inch Cinema), I should be fine.

If you REALLY need more power, wait until the "Big Boys" (Workstations) get upgraded later this year...they should be real killers especially when the software (Adobe, etc...) becomes Universal Binary.

skcrane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2006, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by jrramsey
Nope. 8% ain't worth thye $300 and 3 weeks. I ordered the standard 1gig stick and just bought another gig at Crucial. Along with the 256MB VRAM and Dual 2gig/Core processors (and my new 23inch Cinema), I should be fine.

If you REALLY need more power, wait until the "Big Boys" (Workstations) get upgraded later this year...they should be real killers especially when the software (Adobe, etc...) becomes Universal Binary.
Yeah I kept my 2.0ghz and added another 1gb ram stick from crucial as well shoud hopefully be in by the end of the week, according to my local apple store it shipped 2/15, so I got the standard 2.0ghz with additional ram.

riotge@r  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2006, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by jrramsey

A person who is buying a MacBook Pro probably needs mobility more than the additional power of a desktop computer.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

rtamesis
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2006, 04:27 PM

Why not wait for Merom chips to be released in the third quarter? Like Yonah, it supports Vanderpool Virtualization Technology and, in addition, EM64T, which is Intel's version of AMD64. On a performance per watt basis, Intel claims Merom will outperform Yonah by a 2-1 margin. Ultra low voltage Merom chips will consume as little as 0.5 W of power, enabling ultra portable laptops to have battery lives in the tens of hours.

Of course, if I can be assured that Yonah chips in the current MBP can be easily upgraded to Merom chips once they become available, then I will not have any hesitation about getting an MBP now.

markus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2006, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Enigmaaron
I am so happy all of you people are helping make my 2.0GHz MacBook Pro come faster. I'll bet anything the people who ordered 2.16GHz this morning will not get it for at least 2 weeks. If you go to the Apple store now it shows the 2.16 estimated shipping as 3-4 weeks (and has since early afternoon). Do you really think they got a 3-4 week back log of orders in half a day? I think it's obvious there was a glitch in the system this morning and by now we should all know the phone reps know nothing more that what you know by looking at your order status online. Think about it, why would upgrading to a 7200rpm hard drive make the computer ship 3 weeks sooner???? (Selecting that option also moved the ship estimate to 1-3 business days) Apple is updating everyone's order status in order of where there are in the wait list. Since your at the back of the line now, your info is not updated yet. Not trying to be a buzz kill here but rather inject some reality. Don't get your hopes up, and thanks again for bumping my Jan 11th order up in the line.
enigmaaron.. my 2.16 w/ 7200 hd shipped yesterday feb. 17 .. so im glad i could help your 2.0ghz move up the queue faster by cancelling my original order and reordering a 2.16 on wednesday the 14th. and thank's again for keeping my hopes down, that 'reality injection' was really a much needed dose. - 50cc's of reality you so graciously provided was just what the doctor ordered!! however you *really* made my day after i read your post! i hope your jan 11 order ships ASAP (it should be bumped up quite a few notches right??), i cant tell you how excited i am!!
( Last edited by markus; Feb 18, 2006 at 02:19 PM. )

GreenwoodMO
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2006, 12:12 PM

I upgraded from the 2.0 to the 2.16. I think for me it was a psychological thing.

Karim
Senior User
Feb 18, 2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by markus
enigmaaron.. my 2.16 w/ 7200 hd shipped yesterday feb. 17 .. so im glad i could help your 2.0ghz move up the queue faster by cancelling my original order and reordering a 2.16 on wednesday the 14th. and thank's again for keeping my hopes down, that reality injection really gave me a much needed dose. - maybe too much!! however you *really* made my day after i read your post! i hope your jan 11 order ships ASAP (it should be bumped up quite a few notches right??), i cant tell you how excited i am!!
LOL! My 2.16 shipped too... I hope he enjoys his slowwwww laptop

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2006, 12:45 PM

It's partly about how long the machine will be useful to me. Simply, a faster machine will be useable longer. At some point the machine will feel too slow, as this 1GHz Ti does. By having a faster machine, I'll be able to enjoy the performance improvement while making sure it's useful longer. A bit less than $300 doesn't seem unreasonable to me for the difference.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

jimbosyn
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2006, 02:10 PM

For my part, I got the 2.16 because with my developer discount, I could get the 2.16 and a 120gb drive for 2319. That's almost 200 less than a stock 2.0. At that price, it was a no brainer. Also, typically, apple will bump the processors and make the last revs top of the line be the $2000 model. Example: My guestimate of the next revision macbook will be this.
Top level - 2.16
Entry level - 2.0
By ordering the top of the line now, you extend the life of your laptop by up to a year depending on the duration of the release cycle.

It should also be noted that if I had not gotten the developer discount, I would have gotten a stock 2.0. It really just depends on your budget, and your needs. These core duo's are going to be so much faster than my g4 pb that it will not even be funny!

MacOSR
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2006, 02:12 PM

Me...and it has shipped

Shipped - Feb 18, 2006 via FEDERAL EXPRESS

MBPRO 15/2.0 CTO
Hide Details
2.16GHz Intel Core Duo/256MB
2GB 667 DDR2- 2x1GB SO-DIMMs
100GB Serial ATA Drive@7200rpm
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS
Airport Extreme Card&BT

jimbosyn
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by MacOSR
Me...and it has shipped

Shipped - Feb 18, 2006 via FEDERAL EXPRESS

MBPRO 15/2.0 CTO
Hide Details
2.16GHz Intel Core Duo/256MB
2GB 667 DDR2- 2x1GB SO-DIMMs
100GB Serial ATA Drive@7200rpm
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS
Airport Extreme Card&BT

I envy you!

Did you order on the 14th? Or was your order an upgraded 2.0 that you called to change? Also, what was your original ship estimate?

MacOSR
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2006, 02:18 PM

Ordered four days ago I do have three calls from Apple letting me know that it will not ship for 3 to 4 more weeks but today I have a FedEx tracking code and it has shipped.

markus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2006, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by schalliol
It's partly about how long the machine will be useful to me. Simply, a faster machine will be useable longer. At some point the machine will feel too slow, as this 1GHz Ti does. By having a faster machine, I'll be able to enjoy the performance improvement while making sure it's useful longer. A bit less than $300 doesn't seem unreasonable to me for the difference.

agreed!

Rumz
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2006, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by MacOSR
Ordered four days ago I do have three calls from Apple letting me know that it will not ship for 3 to 4 more weeks but today I have a FedEx tracking code and it has shipped.
Serious? I ordered a 2.16 on the morning of the 14th and have been told 3-4 weeks. No shiping notification for me... blah. Wonder if it will really ship soon like you people who ordered on the 14th....

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rumz
Serious? I ordered a 2.16 on the morning of the 14th and have been told 3-4 weeks. No shiping notification for me... blah. Wonder if it will really ship soon like you people who ordered on the 14th....
I ordered a 1.83 on the keynote day (moments after it ended) and upgraded to the 2.16 and still have no notice. Don't feel toooo bummed.

Originally Posted by M4hl3r
Agreed, however, in 3 months time merom will arrive. Merom is said to be twice as fast as Yohan. Then there's another new chip. My advise, learned the hard way, never buy the best of the best. Because you will only have the best of the best in a very little period of time, before something new, better and cooler etc. But ok, if you want to have the best of the best (for a short period of time) go for it. But if you settle with the "2. best" you'll save a lot of cash and end up with almost the same gear. That's just me.
There is the "law" of diminishing returns that comes into play, but I think that the 2.16 is perhaps close to the sweet spot. Perhaps you get a bit more price/performance with the 2.0, but it's not much. Using just a price/GHz, the 2.16 isn't really much more expensive per GHz:

2.00 @ $2,500 = $1,250.00 per GHz
2.16 @ $2,800 = $1,296.30 per GHz

Compare though to audio. For $300 you can get a stereo these days that is decent, but for $500 more you get something substantially better, and for $500 more you get something better still, yet you don't get as much performance for your second $500 as the first. My philosophy is buy what you need, but also buy something that you will keep long enough to make it worth it.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Forum Links
Forum Rules